Chams on your shoulder?

perca05

Hi all...just wondering if any of you have chams that you can take out and they roost on your shoulder and chill. Didn't know if they like to stay put, or just want to move around to higher ground. I see lots of pics of them calmly sitting on owners hands...just wondering if they would do the same on your shoulder. :) If your does this, post a pic.

thanks,
Caroline

It would be an iffy place for your cham. There isn't much to hang onto and would be worried all the time of them falling.
I just walk around with my cham in my hands.

It's hard for them to hold onto your shoulder. U can set them there for a moment but have your hands close by if they start to fall

It depends on what I'm wearing. If there isn't much for them to hold onto, they move to the top my of my head. But they seem to be more comfortable when I hold them with my hands.

Bibble on my shoulder

I had a Veild who went with me EVERYWERE. I mean camping ,canoeing and hikig .Even out on the town .Guess were he sat? On my shoulder.He just sat there and Bibbled.He hung out and didn,t move .I lved him and he lived for 10 wonderful Bibble yrs.But to anwser your guestion I did have a Veild constantly hang out on my shouder and it cn be done

I have tiny little shoulders so they always want to migrate to my head. lol. oh, and i wear glasses, so they see the arm of the glasses and think it must be a nice inviting ladder. Then as they're pulling my hair, their tail is swishing around in my face looking for something to grab onto, and yay, tip goes up my nostril. Every time. Lol. Gotta love it.

Most of my guyz will climb up my head, but Squee always falls off, so I have to be carefull.
How I get them on the free range is I use myself as a bridge, so I open the
door and they climb up my arm, maybe stop around my head to poop, then up my other arm to the free range :D

It depends on what I'm wearing. If there isn't much for them to hold onto, they move to the top my of my head. But they seem to be more comfortable when I hold them with my hands.

I try to make sure I am wearing my fav cham shirt; a 100% cotton, long sleave, dark green pull-over :)
Maybe they think I'm a nice warm tree!!??

I actually don't see why anyone would want to carry around his/her chameleon this way. There's always a risk of injury (falling) and stress. Just let them be in a tank with a suitable set-up of plants etc.

i have a four month old panther that hangs out on my shoulder pretty often. he used to try to get onto my head/face but i would always put my hand up and block so now he just climbs up my arm and stops on my shoulder. he's like a parrot, but cooler.

Kuzco hangs out on my shoulder, but he really likes my head and glasses. And he's always sticking his tail down my shirt or up my nose

Stanley would sit on my shoulder all day long if I let him, he'd probably move around a bit but he's pretty content just being there!!!!

ege3u6ab.jpg

I actually don't see why anyone would want to carry around his/her chameleon this way. There's always a risk of injury (falling) and stress. Just let them be in a tank with a suitable set-up of plants etc.

I'm not actually carrying them around. I stay in front of their cage, I'm like
a statue!! they greefully want to get on me. I know this because went they want out, they will come up to the door and reach their little arms out for me.
When I open the door, they are all too happy to climb up my arm, and I use my body to connect them to the free range, which is above my head.

No, I would not walk around with a cham on my shoulder!!

There is a member here who does that, he even goes out to the pet store with his cham on his shoulder!!

I would never do anything like that, and do not approve of anyone else doing
it either.

If you are going to handle a cham w/o causing stress, you need to think and move like they do.
At that point, your body is simply an extention to get from one place to another.

My veiled, Charlotte, would do chores with me on my shoulder. She would sit on my shoulder pretty comfortably as I would dust or fold clothing or whatever. She'd get pretty restless if I didn't open her cage door, at which point she would wander up my arm and stay there until she's climb down, walk over to her free range or the feeder bins, and do her own thing for a while. If you're wearing clothing there's no reason they would fall. And my apartment are always carpeted, so even if she did fall 4-5' onto soft carpet she wouldn't notice. Chameleons are good at falls, after all.

I have also taken my most docile panther, Daedalus, to university events, reptile shows, the vet, pet stores, etc., he does great and does a lot to challenge chameleon myths with the general public. But he has the temperament for it, other chameleons of mine would not tolerate that much activity. But Daedalus feels right at home, he'll eat from the hands of perfect strangers in the middle of a show.

Kuzco hangs out on my shoulder, but he really likes my head and glasses. And he's always sticking his tail down my shirt or up my nose

Squee loves to park on my head!! he grabs my ear and glasses, and stays there until I put my hand in front of him, and he will continue forward on it.

Like I said before, if you are slow and relaxed, they love to climb around on you.
Your body is soft and warm, they like that.
The trick is to be VERY patient, and sometimes, you need to play "statue" until your arms feel like lead!!! :eek:

All of my guys like to ride around on me, my husband, my friends and neighbors. Sadie my veiled is on my shoulder now and has been there about an hour now. Like Olimpia said she's content just helping me with my house work or bookkeeping. My boys are all getting older and need a hand now when riding around. They still love it i've just had to learn to do everything with one hand. Dulce my Cuban Knight likes to hangout on my head. Every cham I've ever had like getting on my head, even my big male Parsonii Padre. :D

JannandPadreandJannandCamille036.jpg

Sadie helping mom mist the boys in their outside sun cages

SadiekaydidsMufasa6212001_zps728c801e.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom