chams at college?

so im going to BGSU here in Ohio in the fall and cant even fathom the idea of leaving behind my two chams (veiled and panther), have any of you kept chams in your dorms with no problems?? they do have a full herpetology lab/ center but every time ive contacted them i get shut down because i have males and they would only be interested in breeding pairs :(. i wish there was another way... ideas???

You gotta ask if they are part of the allowed pets list in the dorms. You could talk to an RA or the person in charge and explain that they are a pet that makes no noise, smell, or will cause any problems..maybe they can make an exception for you in the dorms.

some people can but i would be afraid of your roommate more than anything if u have one, I've know someone put a complete turtle set up in their closet if u have a closet u can put them in there leave the closet door open i mean but if they are going to search most colleges don't have the right to open your closet door. well at least mine doesn't. if anything could you be able to get a cheap apartment if you run out of all ideas. our dorms here is we have our own room and just share a kitchen and like a living space so if its like that u should have no problem hiding them in your own room. :) idk their are many ways you can pull this off I'm just naming off ideas haha lucky enough my college is right in my hometown so i can still drive 30 mins home everyday :)

It all depends on your room mate and who you know. If you know the R.A really well, they will usually let you slide with something as minor as a cham. Well, I should word it differently. Not exactly minor, but rather not noisy and and shedding fur everywhere. I have had friends who had animals in college dorms and keep them hidden. For example, when your R.A comes in the room to inspect, you could put it in a free range tree where it wouldn't be noticed, or you could put it in a smallish box for a few minutes until they are out. (Obviously have a few holes in the box) The inspections are pretty quick so I wouldn't think its that bad.

Last edited:
I think that are some selfish suggestions.
Ask wether or not you can keep them, if not you´ll need to sell them or find someone to take care of them until you´re back.
I can´t imagine you could give them proper care when you need to hide them.
How would you hide the huge cages you need for those 2 guys?

Ask wether or not you can keep them, if not you´ll need to sell them or find someone to take care of them until you´re back.

The cages don't matter. You could easily say its just an old cage that you're trying to sell.

I know people who have snuck in animals and not got caught. Generally its pretty easy. Not that I support any of this, but i'm just stating its doable.

honestly if he loved them enough not to let them go don't you think he would still love them enough to still keep the proper care for them to stay alive

honestly if he loved them enough not to let them go don't you think he would still love them enough to still keep the proper care for them to stay alive
Unfortunately, just keeping them alive is not the same as keeping them properly, dont you think so?
I think keeping feeders (roaches\crickets) could be an issue...
And that´s the next problenm as many feeders (crix, locusts) make noise.
The cages don't matter. You could easily say its just an old cage that you're trying to sell.
Are you sure anybody is going to believe that you have a completely equipped cage with a dripper with water in it, a drainage and probably cham poo standing around without an animal inside?

I would personally meet up with the Dean of the houses/dorms that you are staying with and then see if it's okay for you to have your chameleons and full sized enclosures. Educate him a bit on their care, what they eat (don't mention the roaches) etc. then maybe you can have them in your dorm..

I would personally meet up with the Dean of the houses/dorms that you are staying with and then see if it's okay for you to have your chameleons and full sized enclosures. Educate him a bit on their care, what they eat (don't mention the roaches) etc. then maybe you can have them in your dorm..
Absolutely agreed :)

all great ideas guys!! i think i may try my luck sneeking them in or actually talking to the professor at the herpetology center seeing as how they wont answer any calls or emails. my friend is going to room with me so thats no big deal and Asking the housing department wont get me anywhere, ive already asked and its not that they dont want chameleons there its just that if they let me silde, the kid with the (insert animal here) that makes no noise and doesnt smell ect ect should have his animal too. i guess i still have a few months to get things settled but i just wanted some of your ideas, THANKS!!

Are you sure anybody is going to believe that you have a completely equipped cage with a dripper with water in it, a drainage and probably cham poo standing around without an animal inside?

It takes literally two seconds to move the dripper off the top of the cage. I don't have a drainage system and i'm perfectly fine. I know a lot of keepers don't have drainage systems. As for the poop, its not hard to clean it off as we see it. In fact, thats what most of us do.

Then again, I can imagine the feeders being an issue like you mentioned. Like I said, its doable, but you just need to be careful. Though, you wouldn't have to worry about any of this if you got permission from the school. :p

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it's worth the risk. College is crazy and you won't have a whole lot of time. Then the issue comes up, what if you get caught??? Some schools will kick you out, others will make you get rid of them immediately. Then what will you do?

I'm in college and my school allows little fish bowls so bettas are ok and so are tiny turtles. I guess if you're one of the crazies you can try but there's not much room in dorms and your friend could accidently let it slip that you've chameleons. If you do bring them, have a back up plan and check to see if you'd get kicked out or not if you were caught.

Back
Top Bottom