chams appetite slowing down?

whysoez420

My veiled is about 6 months old now and lately he hasn't be eating nearly as much.
Seems like its slowed down drastically. Usually I would feed him 6 phownix worms and 15-20 crickets a day. He barely eats 10 crickets now. Today I think he ate 3 worms and maybe 5 crickets. Id rather hear that this is natural rather than something being wrong with him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had the same issue...
How are your temperatures?
is it a male or female?
is he/she well hydrated?

In my case... it was just fine, my cham was starting to turn from juvenile into adult...
and he started to eat less, once a day, its recommended to feed during the morning, so they have enough time for basking and digest... are you using only crickets?
adults chameleons eat less than juveniles, and you also have to skip feeding every other day...

I had the same issue...
How are your temperatures?
is it a male or female?
is he/she well hydrated?

In my case... it was just fine, my cham was starting to turn from juvenile into adult...
and he started to eat less, once a day, its recommended to feed during the morning, so they have enough time for basking and digest... are you using only crickets?
adults chameleons eat less than juveniles, and you also have to skip feeding every other day...

His temperatures are good for him lots of levels.
As for hydrstion I don't see him.drink but I have a mistking going so I assume he does.

His temperatures are good for him lots of levels.
As for hydrstion I don't see him.drink but I have a mistking going so I assume he does.

Some chams like to drink in "private". I have a 1 year old that I've never seen drink. If his urates are nice and white, he is OK. If they are yellow or orange (the darker the color, the worse the dehydration) then he is dehydrated.

Just because you have a mistking, doesn't mean it providing for his needs. Do you have a dripper too? How many misting sessions per day for how long?

As for feeding, they will slow down as they get older. Are you providing more variety than just crickets and phoenix worms? He could be getting bored with his food if he's only getting the two choices. And of course, good gutloading is a priority.

If he seems otherwise healthy and active, and is still eating, just not as much, then I wouldn't worry at this point.

I think I'm going to start using a dripper. I put 8 crickets in his cage this morning and none of them are eaten.

how does his urates look?
is it white or orangy?
it is said that they eat less when they dont get enough water. that could be another reason... I really have a hard time making my chameleon to drink, I also have mistking running a lot during the day, but still.. Its good idea to have a dripper

Usually I would feed him 6 phownix worms and 15-20 crickets a day. He barely eats 10 crickets now.

Even for a six month young chameleon this is a lot too much of food, so it's no wonder he refuses eating (which actually, he doesn't! it's still 50 to 60 crickets a week). Additionally, worms shouldn't be base of a regular diet, they contain too much fat and proteins. Please read this thread and this one carefully.

Even for a six month young chameleon this is a lot too much of food, so it's no wonder he refuses eating (which actually, he doesn't! it's still 50 to 60 crickets a week). Additionally, worms shouldn't be base of a regular diet, they contain too much fat and proteins. Please read this thread and this one carefully.

Phoenix worms can be a staple no? That's what I was told.

Keep in mind that in the winter some chams will burmate and loose a lot of there appetite and stop moving around a lot.

I agree with Alexl....that is a ton of food. He is at the age where they slow down on eating. Six months is the age where I start feeding mine every other day as long as they are big and healthy. If they are skinny or ill I continue to feed daily.

Phoenix worms can be a staple no? That's what I was told.

The larvae of Hermetia illucens are the only "worms" with a real good calcium-phosphorus-ratio, therefore they basically are good feeders. But as all larvae they're no appropriate every day food.

Back
Top Bottom