Chamleon enclosure outside

What I am hearing that you don't really want to take your chameleon outside necessarily, it's just that you currently do not have a UVB bulb or fixture, and you're trying to come up with a temporary fix to get UVB exposure, is that correct? And it'll take two full weeks to get one? A lot of places sell T5HO bulbs and fixtures and could probably get it to you in less than two weeks - Amazon, Petco, and local reptile stores should all have them. You could conceivably move your entire existing enclosure outside in the morning before it heats up, or purchase an entirely new screen enclosure to use outside for the same purpose and then bring your chameleon back inside after a few hours, but I think the most reasonable solution is probably to call any/all local petstores about UVB lights to see what they have in stock. Petco isn't my favorite, but my understanding is they price match if budgetary constraints are an issue. Does anyone else responding to this thread have any ideas for a speedy source for T5HO?

Not having UVB for two weeks is suboptimal, but I don't think moving your chameleon outside full time for two full weeks without much monitoring is the quick fix you may have been hoping for. I wish it were simpler, but I think doing it right would probably cost more than expediting a T5HO purchase (you'd need a big cage for thermoregulation, lots of plants for shade, maybe shade nets depending on sun exposure, maybe misters hooked up to the hose to make sure it doesn't get too hot and the chameleon can stay hydrated, etc). It would take a lot of fine tuning. Predators are a problem too for animals that stay out after dark - raccoons can break into enclosures and eat your pets. I had an outdoor aviary with doves that was absolutely destroyed by raccoons. They gnawed right through the mesh.

Last edited:
I agree with @Connorology that you just need a little of the morning sun.
Like I wrote in my PM to you, @PascalTheChamelon123 you can take her outside in the morning while it is a little cooler...then bring her back inside when it starts to warm up.

I also have temps of high 80s even 90s already...but I manage to wake up and take my chameleons out in the morning between 5 and 7 usually and drink my coffee (which I know you're too young to do, but you could have a bowl of cereal) while they soak up the sun. Then I have to have them back in before 8 because it is already too hot by then.

From what I can see, you have moss in the bottom and you will want to remove that. It will raise the humidity too much, they could ingest it. Plus it will just be a breeding ground for bacteria.

Wrong lighting. You need a basking bulb (you can just use a normal household bulb.. 60-70 watts. You can use reptile specific ones but your paying an extra 2 bucks for the reptile picture on the box) , and then a Reptisun 5.0 T5HO long fixture (or the Arcadia 6% T5HO) .. not the coils. The coils are useless.

Lots more branches. You will want to have lots of horizontal branches. Think of them as highways for the chameleon to get around it cage. You will also want more plants to fill out out the cage.

Wrong thermomter and hygrometer. You'll want digital ones. The little dials can be very inaccurate.

There could be more wrong with your supplements and misting and feeding ect but thats just what I can see. May have missed something im tired lol

From what I can see, you have moss in the bottom and you will want to remove that. It will raise the humidity too much, they could ingest it. Plus it will just be a breeding ground for bacteria.

Wrong lighting. You need a basking bulb (you can just use a normal household bulb.. 60-70 watts. You can use reptile specific ones but your paying an extra 2 bucks for the reptile picture on the box) , and then a Reptisun 5.0 T5HO long fixture (or the Arcadia 6% T5HO) .. not the coils. The coils are useless.

Lots more branches. You will want to have lots of horizontal branches. Think of them as highways for the chameleon to get around it cage. You will also want more plants to fill out out the cage.

Wrong thermomter and hygrometer. You'll want digital ones. The little dials can be very inaccurate.

There could be more wrong with your supplements and misting and feeding ect but thats just what I can see. May have missed something im tired lol
So i have 3 thermometers and hydrometers that are digital that one is just a backup. Im in the process of putting more branches in there. What type of substrate would you recommend?

Uh unless you are going bioactive, there's no need for substrate honestly. I dont have substrate. My boy is doing just fine lol. Humidity only needs to be 30-40 during the day and 80-100 at night. Nighttime humidity can be achieved with a fogger.. you can also wrap a couple sides of the enclosure with a shower curtain to keep some humidity in, if its a problem.

Maybe start your own thread as I suggested before.

Uh unless you are going bioactive, there's no need for substrate honestly. I dont have substrate. My boy is doing just fine lol. Humidity only needs to be 30-40 during the day and 80-100 at night. Nighttime humidity can be achieved with a fogger.. you can also wrap a couple sides of the enclosure with a shower curtain to keep some humidity in, if its a problem.

Maybe start your own thread as I suggested before.
I will start that here in a min. Thank you for the help

Back
Top Bottom