chameleons stopped eating

kwalbush

Hello, I have 2 veiled chameleons, one male and one female. I keep them in separate cages. About a week ago, they both stopped eating. The male is currently molting his skin. They both are really lethargic. Basking temp is about 87 degrees. He is sitting right under basking light most of the day. She has been spending a lot of time at bottom of cage. Up until a week ago, they were both great eaters. i feed them a variety of crickets and super worms. Please help. :confused::confused::confused:

Does the female have an egg laying bin?

How long as it been since they ate?

How old are they?

Are they keeping their eyes shut?

Can you post photos?

Female is approximately 10 months. Male is 6 months. She does not have an egg laying bin. Was under the impression that she was still too young to start laying. Both eyes are open. It's been a week since they've eaten. The temp under basking light is 88 degrees. I've been spraying 4 times per day.
photo-5.JPG

photo-4.JPG

Your female is definitely sexually mature, all those blue dots. and shes very plump looking, which probably means she has eggs.

You need a lay bin for her asap. Do you know how to set one up?

What are you trying to feed them?

have you tried offering other food items to them?

Females will often stop eating when they are about to lay eggs.

Your female temp you can drop down to around 84, this can help reduce her clutch size.

Help! I looked up how to set it up. Do i just put her in it and leave her there? or do i leave her cage open and give her a way to get in and out of it? also, she's been sitting on bottom of cage last few days. :confused:

OK, if you can get the bucket in her cage, do that.

Make sure its wet enough she can dig, without it collapsing.
Make sure its also at least 12 inches deep. most females like to dig a lot and go deep down before they lay.

Don't be surprised if it takes her several test holes and a few days to do this.
DO NOT WATCH HER!

IF she sleeps in her hole, its ok too. a lot of females like to lay at night.

Her being on the bottom is a sign of egg laying.

I think you caught it before she became egg bound, lets hope so.

let her get to the lay bin on her own. If she isn't actually ready to lay, she wont dig.

It could be a few more days before she decides to start digging.

Thank you so much for all the info. one last question, what if the bucket won't fit in her cage? next to with a means to get in and out??

if it wont fit, then put it near her cage and place vines and such for her to get to it at her convience and leisure.

what size cage is she in now?

You only need a container 12 " x 8 " x 12 " deep in the cage. Can you fit that in??

Are they both in the same cage??

Back
Top Bottom