Chameleons recognize their owners...

I believe that too, sometimes if Mia is walking about she follows me. If some1 else has got her like my mother and i walk in the room she tries her hardest to get to me. :D It's really sweet.

i will say that my uros, and my beardie all know who i am. esp my uros. my large adult female, Lizzy, knows how i am. she just acts different to me than to anyone else. even my leopard geckos know who or what i am. my little Micro climbs the side of her cage till i put my hand down to her so she can climb up. she will just sit there in my hand watching whats going on. when i put her into someone else hand she wont bite but she starts to wonder alot. so reptiles in general will reconse their owner/keeper. some people just arent worthey or being reconized! LOL

dale

That is very true that some people have a hard time giving credit for intelligence to animals that can't express wants/needs/emotions, etc. That makes me think of a patient I had to transport (it is ok to say this because I am being very vague and no names or places are given) and she was geriatric and had severe dementia and all she could do was look at me. There were three of us in the rig and I was the one who treated her, talked to her and reassured her when she would look at me with a terrified look in her eye, and then she would relax and close her eyes. When we got to the hospital and set her up, as we were leaving, she grabbed my hand, completely ignoring the other two I was with, and I could tell she was trying to say something, it took her quite a while to get it out, but all she could say was "thank..." and she kept trying, and I just told her she was welcome and I was glad to be there for her, etc, and she relaxed and went to sleep.
I am not comparing human intelligence to animals for those people that strongly oppose that, I am just saying that there can be a barrier that has nothing to do with intelligence, no matter what species.

That is very true that some people have a hard time giving credit for intelligence to animals that can't express wants/needs/emotions, etc. That makes me think of a patient I had to transport (it is ok to say this because I am being very vague and no names or places are given) and she was geriatric and had severe dementia and all she could do was look at me. There were three of us in the rig and I was the one who treated her, talked to her and reassured her when she would look at me with a terrified look in her eye, and then she would relax and close her eyes. When we got to the hospital and set her up, as we were leaving, she grabbed my hand, completely ignoring the other two I was with, and I could tell she was trying to say something, it took her quite a while to get it out, but all she could say was "thank..." and she kept trying, and I just told her she was welcome and I was glad to be there for her, etc, and she relaxed and went to sleep.
I am not comparing human intelligence to animals for those people that strongly oppose that, I am just saying that there can be a barrier that has nothing to do with intelligence, no matter what species.

This is so true. I have patients often due to strokes, epilepsy, MS, etc who are unable to verbalize or move much. Doesn't mean they are not there. We talk to unconscious patients the same way we do patients who are responsive. They may still be able to hear too.

Another interesting bee study for those who like the link above...

Honey bees have a way of communicating where food sources are. Its called the waggle dance. The way it works is that an exploring be will find a new patch of flowers. He will fly straight back to the hive and perform the waggle dance, a series of spins and bobs, and other bees in the hive can take directional information from this dance. They will then fly out of the hive and go straight to the new source of food.

This in and of itself is amazing for such a small brained insect, but it gets better. :)

A researcher was studying this phenomenon by moving around a bee feeder and recording the bees behavior. One day he took the bee feeder, put it on a boat, and moved the boat out to the center of a lake. It took a while, but eventually a passing be found it. The bee went straight back to the hive and did his waggle dance to the other bees. Incredibly, not a single bee left the hive. They did not believe him! They new that there was no way that there were flowers in the center of the lake and so they interpreted that information, assumed this other bee was wrong, and did not go waste their time!:eek:

They did not believe him! They new that there was no way that there were flowers in the center of the lake and so they interpreted that information, assumed this other bee was wrong, and did not go waste their time!:eek:

Or he misstepped and screwed up the dance.

That's amazing. It seems that which each new bee study, something groundbreaking is discovered! They are amazing creatures, especially since they defy the laws of physics...

wow magic!

They are mystical little creatures :) There is so much to their group dynamic than we don't know too. How about you study up on them and let us all know everything that scientists have discovered that we haven't read about yet :D ... I am lazy when it comes to reading up on scientific articles :rolleyes:

I have to agree. My cham would get black spots whenever i let somone else hold him but as soon as he was back on me he would turn his normal colors again. Thars why i call him my son.

Back
Top Bottom