Chameleon's overall health...

Freedom1

· Your Chameleon - My chameleon is a female veiled who is almost 2 years old. I’ve had her in my care for a year and eight months or so.

· Handling - I handle my chameleon twice every week, sometimes more… if it’s a sunny day I like to take her outside.

· Feeding - I feed her 5-6 large feeders every other day in the morning so she has enough time to process the food. I gut load them with sweet potatoes, cilantro, kale, and sometimes apple. I use dubia roaches and crickets with and occasional hornedworm.

· Supplements - I lightly dust her feeders without d3 at almost every feeding. She gets her feeders dusted with d3 and multivitamin twice every month rotating each week. I use zoo-meds reptivite for her multivitamins and Flukers Repta calcium with d3.

· Watering - I spray her cage with warm water three times a day for about 2 minutes each. I also have a little dripper that I use. I usually don’t get to see her drinking but I have caught her a few timesJ

· Fecal Description - Her urates are mostly white with a yellow tip and her poop is dark brown.

· History - She has laid eggs about three times since I’ve gotten her. They were really large clutches at first but I was able to make them a little smaller by keeping her basking spot a little lower and feeding less. I believe that she might be gravid currently so I am making her laying bin.

• Cage Type - She has a screened in cage that is 16 by 16 by 30. I have it sitting on a small sturdy table which is 18 inches tall. I want to get a bigger cage so I can have the laying bin in full time so any recommendations would be great. I just don’t want to get her a new cage now because she could be gravid and I don’t want to add any more stress.
  • Lighting - I am using the t5ho hood that goes all the way across the cage. I use the linear 5.0 uvb bulb and I have it at least 9 inches away from her basking spot. I use a dome fixture for her heat lamp which is a 60 watt daylight blue bulb. I want to know what other heat lamps I could use because I heard that the daylight blue one could hurt their eyes.
  • Temperature - Her basking spot stays in the lower 80s while the bottom of the cage is around 70F. I measure these using a temperature gun. At night the temperature doesn’t drop below 60F.
  • Humidity - I keep her humidity around 40% during the day. I use a hydrometer.
Plants - I have some plastic plants and two live golden pothos. She loves to eat them so I switch them in and out of her cage giving them time to grow. I am looking to add a live snake plant. I know that a lot of chameleons eat plastic plants but it
has never been a problem for her.
  • Placement - It is in one of the warmest rooms in the house. It is near a fan but I don’t ever turn on the fan.
  • Location - I am located in northern VA.
  • I am just a concerned parent and I am wondering if you guys see anything wrong with her like MBD. I took her to the vet a couple of months ago and they said that she was MBD free but I am still paranoid. I am also looking for different recommendations for a bigger cage and a different heat lamp that I can try out. (I heard that the bluelight bulb can hurt their eyes)

4B081040-BC90-49D7-ACA3-9A5889E9E597.jpeg
45C31DD0-4738-485B-9697-0AE681B63CF9.jpeg
217EB11F-E1AA-479F-9D7C-040F914F48A3.jpeg
B1F6A4DF-DB19-4631-A9A8-0A38475BA5AB.jpeg
54D649D1-5ADA-4E2F-8F71-633925E38F17.jpeg
FC5BA3B9-4A6B-4E27-8A2A-2EDC82B5A42B.jpeg
8B150D16-ACE5-4878-8253-D19F48687904.jpeg

• I am just a concerned parent and I am wondering if you guys see anything wrong with her like MBD. I took her to the vet a couple of months ago and they said that she was MBD free but I am still paranoid. I am also looking for different recommendations for a bigger cage and a different heat lamp that I can try out. (I heard that the bluelight bulb can hurt their eyes)
Maybe add pictures?

Edit: just saw them :)

She looks MBD free. The only thing I would change is adding more branches and places to hide, and going 100% live plant.

She looks MBD free. The only thing I would change is adding more branches and places to hide, and going 100% live plant.
Thanks for your input. I have been thinking about going 100% live plant which will be challenging since I am not very good at keeping plants alive, but I will definitely add more live plants soon. :)

@Freedom1
She looks good to me. No external signs of MBD.

A few things in your husbandry though. Per the supplements. Because the Reptivite has D3 you want to drop the flukers calcium with D3. You would use the calcium without D3 at every feeding except 2 times a month you would use the reptivite with D3 say the 1st and the 15th. I would also reduce her feeders down to no more then 2-3 every other day and reduce the basking temp to 80. The reduction in feeders and the basking temp will reduce her clutch sizes.
· Feeding - I feed her 5-6 large feeders every other day in the morning so she has enough time to process the food. I gut load them with sweet potatoes, cilantro, kale, and sometimes apple. I use dubia roaches and crickets with and occasional hornedworm.

· Supplements - I lightly dust her feeders without d3 at almost every feeding. She gets her feeders dusted with d3 and multivitamin twice every month rotating each week. I use zoo-meds reptivite for her multivitamins and Flukers Repta calcium with d3.
Temperature - Her basking spot stays in the lower 80s while the bottom of the cage is around 70F. I measure these using a temperature gun. At night the temperature doesn’t drop below 60F.

Are there any recommendations on a bigger cage? I would like to find out which cage would be the best for her.

Back
Top Bottom