Chameleons Head facing up

Zenex

I just got a baby made veiled chameleon, and tonight when I went to check on him I noticed his head was facing up words. I tried researching but I’m not sure if it’s because he’s hot, or because he has a respiratory infection help as soon as possible

(The temperature in his cage is 70°F and his humidity is 80 because I just sprayed.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 87
This was a tricky picture since he was recently sprayed on (droplets on body). I would guess at this point it might be the water causing the head lift. They only breath through their nose when their mouths are shut, so protecting the nasal cavity. Remember, I am guessing at all this. (y)
But agree with the others that a vet trip would be a good thing to do-- just to get a base point of growth and health on record. Wellness checks are always a good idea.

Welcome to ththe forum!

If he's only doing the head raising when he's been drinking, then it's likely from that....if he's doing it when he hasn't been sprayed, then I would say respiratory infection.

As for basking temperature...how old is he?
Is it a male for sure?

Hi. Usually head up is a sign of a respiratory infection. He’ll need a vet visit to confirm and treat.
70 is too cool for a basking temp. Ideal basking temp should be 80. Ideal humidity range during the daytime is between 30-50%. Where did you get him?
This was a tricky picture since he was recently sprayed on (droplets on body). I would guess at this point it might be the water causing the head lift. They only breath through their nose when their mouths are shut, so protecting the nasal cavity. Remember, I am guessing at all this. (y)
But agree with the others that a vet trip would be a good thing to do-- just to get a base point of growth and health on record. Wellness checks are always a good idea.
He’s calmer now in terms of having his head up, but his eyes are squinting and I’m assuming it’s because of vitamin A deficiency Because his eyes are closed,he also hasn’t ate in a while because of it. I’m debating on force feeding him, He isn’t gaping or showing any signs of a full respiratory infection it’s just that his head is up sometimes and he’ll rarely open his eyes. I also noticed some stuck shed on one eye but that wouldn’t explain why the other one is closed.

He’s calmer now in terms of having his head up, but his eyes are squinting and I’m assuming it’s because of vitamin A deficiency Because his eyes are closed,he also hasn’t ate in a while because of it. I’m debating on force feeding him, He isn’t gaping or showing any signs of a full respiratory infection it’s just that his head is up sometimes and he’ll rarely open his eyes. I also noticed some stuck shed on one eye but that wouldn’t explain why the other one is closed.
Before you contemplate force feeding which can cause more damage if done in the wrong circumstances and if not done correctly. This may not have anything to do with a vit A deficiency. They will close eyes when husbandry is incorrect, When the incorrect UVB lighting is used and when they are sick. Can you please fill out the form below with detail. This way we can give you better feedback and the issues are not made worse. you will want to copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out. Please post pics of the entire enclosure as well.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Just being SUPER blunt- I would fill out what Beman has sent. I would not force feed yet until problem is solved you can do more damage if they have a bacterial issue/ eye issue/ RI issue, and it goes undiagnosed. JMHO fix 1 problem and the other could be solved on their own. (y)
It is important to get info and pictures or seek vet assistance for the "unknown". Time is so important and just in a day or so we have:
1. vit deficiency
2. habitat unknown
3. possible respiratory issues
4. eyes closed
These all can be one issue or all separate issues. We are here to help. (y)
Please don't take my direct questioning or others wrong. Some of us have corrected these issue and only want the best for you and chameleon.
Thanks for your understanding.
When you say "has not eaten in a while" how long is that? Reason I ask: They can go a few days without feeding but not to long before their might be digestive issues. During the Winter I can go a few days (2 to 4) without the Chams being interested in food but temps are cool so digestion is slower.

Just checking your original post. Warm or to hot there are a few things that will happen.
1. to hot can burn the skin and quicken dehydration
2. To hot or to warm will cause your chameleon to open his mouth and turn bright colors (veiled and jacksons not sure of others).
Just extra info: 70 would not be to hot and it would be a little to cool for basking sight. (y)
Hope this helps.

If the eyes have been closed for a while and he's raising his head, there's something going on. Is he gaping when the head is raised? What size are the insects you're feeding him? What insects are you feeding him?

Please post some photos of the cage ....lights included.

Is it a male for sure? Do you know how old it is?

Hi. Usually head up is a sign of a respiratory infection. He’ll need a vet visit to confirm and treat.
70 is too cool for a basking temp. Ideal basking temp should be 80. Ideal humidity range during the daytime is between 30-50%. Where did you get him?
Just being SUPER blunt- I would fill out what Beman has sent. I would not force feed yet until problem is solved you can do more damage if they have a bacterial issue/ eye issue/ RI issue, and it goes undiagnosed. JMHO fix 1 problem and the other could be solved on their own. (y)
It is important to get info and pictures or seek vet assistance for the "unknown". Time is so important and just in a day or so we have:
1. vit deficiency
2. habitat unknown
3. possible respiratory issues
4. eyes closed
These all can be one issue or all separate issues. We are here to help. (y)
Please don't take my direct questioning or others wrong. Some of us have corrected these issue and only want the best for you and chameleon.
Thanks for your understanding.
When you say "has not eaten in a while" how long is that? Reason I ask: They can go a few days without feeding but not to long before their might be digestive issues. During the Winter I can go a few days (2 to 4) without the Chams being interested in food but temps are cool so digestion is slower.

Just checking your original post. Warm or to hot there are a few things that will happen.
1. to hot can burn the skin and quicken dehydration
2. To hot or to warm will cause your chameleon to open his mouth and turn bright colors (veiled and jacksons not sure of others).
Just extra info: 70 would not be to hot and it would be a little to cool for basking sight. (y)
Hope this helps.
I didn’t force feed him and took every piece of advice. He’s doing better now his eyes are open, he’s moving around, and he’s eating normally again.

Perfect! Good job! (y) We love happy endings.

Sorry if we seem rushed but when it comes to chameleons, they can be fine one day and gone the next.
Glad all is good.

Back
Top Bottom