Chameleon

PVsPlayHouse

Hi,
This site has been very helpful to my girlfriend and I with our two Chameleons thank you.
I would like to introduce you to our two Veiled Chameleons, Jada and Joey.
Jada and Joey are now 8 months old. They were 3 months when we got them.
Ok our Set Up
Zoo Med Repti Breeze Screen Terrarium 24x24x48
Lighting: Zilla Tropical 25 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs
Heat: Zoo Med Halogen 50w
Artificial Tree
Artificial Vines- both vertival and horizontal placement
We just got a Mist King Mister that we need to set up.
We feed them:
Wax warms
Crickets
Meal Worms
Butter Worms
Any suggestions on our set up?
We want to provide them with the best home possible and welcome any comments!
Thank You

Attachments

• July 4, 2010 028.jpg
    July 4, 2010 028.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 163
  • July 4, 2010 030.jpg
    July 4, 2010 030.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 145
  • July 4, 2010 029.jpg
    July 4, 2010 029.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 166
  • July 4, 2010 033.jpg
    July 4, 2010 033.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 131
I would suggest adding live plants. Pictures of the set-up would help for further suggestions. Pictures of your chams would be nice too :D.

Ha ha ha! sorry- was uploading them momentarily. What are the benefits of live plants as opposed to artificial? Are they difficult to keep? I love hibiscus but thought that they were difficlult to care for.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Live plants help regulate humidity better. Plus, I think they look better than fake plants. Your set-up looks great, though. I've never kept hibiscus so I don't know how difficult they are to care for. The main thing plants need is light, so a flourescent plant light would be good to add if you did get live plants.

Yes they are. They seem to get along great. They sleep right next to each other. Mike at FL Chams said this was a good size for the two of them but, we are thinking about making them a bigger cage as they grow.

Another reason to add live plants is because veileds can have a reputation to eat leaves of the plants in the enclosure. My veiled is guilty of this, plenty of bite marks can be seen in the plants in his enclosure. Having fake plants could be a choking hazard or impaction. Just make sure the live plants are non toxic for chams. Nice looking enclosure by the way.

Honestly when they mature, even if they seem to get along well, they need to be seperated.
I know it seems cute now but the out come could be deadly.
Veileds are considered, by most, to be one of the most aggressive and territorial species of chameleon.

And what is a zilla 25 uvb? Like a 2.5?
Whats its comprison to 2.0,5.0,10.0 ect ect like most brands
Zillas light brand is a little weird to me :rolleyes:

Personally, if I were to even attempt to house two chameleons in the same cage, I would make a 2x6x6 cage. Make sure there are at least two basking spots, two drippers, and two feeding cups. Keep them separated until she is 10-12 months old (at least!) to prevent her from mating and laying large clutches.

Im not a breeding expert pssh(lol dont know your name) but even if they were in a enclsure that big dont u think the male would continually try to breed with her? Even if given alot of space the male might seek her out? That would put alot of stress on her.
Just wondering because you have alot more experience with this but yea, dont you think the male would like continously try to breed?

Actually, experienced breeders have found that (assuming the pair or trio is compatible) that the females lay smaller clutches farther apart, and that the males are more gentle with the females and do not try to breed with the females constantly.

Of course the female needs to be of breeding age, and the keeper should have a LOT of experience. I would not even attempt to keep a breeding pair or trio together because I feel like I may miss some of the very subtle stress signals that they may put off.

I see I see.
I still wouldnt do it personally.
Theres always that chance you know?
That one day where something bad happens.
Lol Im a worry wart and if something did happen I could never live with my self :/

Back
Top Bottom