chameleon wont eat

@Veild Cham Owner said..."So is it prEformed or prOformed I'm confused lol"...if it's beta carotene it's prOformed... If it's retinol, retinyl it's prEformed. You have to read the pill container.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Thank you for the post but we have figured out the problem. Friday morning I let him out to free range and he started to have a hard time breathing so I called the vet and they wanted him in immediately, so we rushed him over there and dropped him off and he stayed there for the day. Abt 4 hours later I get a cal back from them saying he has a mild respiratory infection and possibly worms :/ so I have him on an antibiotic (10 days, 1 dose per day) and a de wormer (5 days, 1 dose per day). He has gotten 2 doses already and has eaten so much!! If he refuses to eat after all his meds I will try the sups u mentioned. Thank you for all the advise it was super helpful!!

Ahh ok just squeez it onto a criers or something. So is it prEformed or prOformed I'm confused lol

The label on the bottle will not say pre- or pro-formed. It will say Beta Carotene or retinol (retinyl) palmitate/retinol acetate. I use an 8000IU retinol palmitate gel caps that I buy at the drug store.

It takes a lot to overdose a chameleon with Vitamin A. An overdose will present as sloughing of the skin like a burn. Overdoses are linked more to injections of Vitamin A than to orally administered doses. The same dose injected can be an overdose but when taken orally show no signs of overdose after two weeks (which was the time frame the study used). The researchers did not determine if the animals would present evidence of overdose if the study continued longer than two weeks.

The label on the bottle will not say pre- or pro-formed. It will say Beta Carotene or retinol (retinyl) palmitate/retinol acetate. I use an 8000IU retinol palmitate gel caps that I buy at the drug store.

It takes a lot to overdose a chameleon with Vitamin A. An overdose will present as sloughing of the skin like a burn. Overdoses are linked more to injections of Vitamin A than to orally administered doses. The same dose injected can be an overdose but when taken orally show no signs of overdose after two weeks (which was the time frame the study used). The researchers did not determine if the animals would present evidence of overdose if the study continued longer than two weeks.
Ok thanks for the info, once he is off all his meds and is back to normal health I will start him on it!!

@jajeanpierre said " researchers did not determine if the animals would present evidence of overdose if the study continued longer than two weeks"...did they take into consideration how much D3 the chameleon was getting ormcould produce?

@jajeanpierre said " researchers did not determine if the animals would present evidence of overdose if the study continued longer than two weeks"...did they take into consideration how much D3 the chameleon was getting ormcould produce?

I can't remember the details, only that they gave a test group of animals--don't even know if it was chameleons--the same dose of Vitamin A. One group received it via injections and the other group received it orally. I would expect that an effort would be made to have both test groups identical except for the Vitamin A. The test lasted two weeks and the animals that received the oral dosage did not develop symptoms of Vitamin A overdose. They noted that they could't conclude that they would never develop symptoms of an overdose at a later date but the study ended after two weeks. They did hypothesize that perhaps the digestive tract might protect the animal in some way. Injectible Vitamin A is water soluable and immediately available.

Back
Top Bottom