Chameleon Won't Eat and Is Constantly Shedding

Albarber

My Cham, Perry, used to eat about 8 crickets a day but very recently hasn't touched any food I have put in his cage for him-it has been about a week and a half and I haven't noticed any missing crickets.
He also had his first shed since owning him, and it was quick, but now he has random shedding spots.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled Chameleon, pet store told me he is a male but I havent sexed him myself, store wasn't sure how old but he is about 7 inches long without his tail, i've had him 1.5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I never handle him, however today when I was cleaning his cage he climbed out so I picked him up and put him right back in. He does not appreciate being touched
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Right now I am feeding him large crickets, and superworms. I keep a small dish with about 8 worms in the cage near the main plant, and when I first got him would put about 8 crickets in the cage in the morning. Up until recently i would feed him everyday because he would eat that many, recently I out a few in the cage and then when I get home I take them back out. I am gutloading with Flukers Orange Cubes along with various greens-crickets also have a calcium block in their cage
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I dust the crickets with calcium powder a few times a week, no schedule at this point
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I spray the cage for about 5 minutes with a spray gun and get the leaves very wet and dripping. I see him drinking occasionally. I also have a fogger that I leave on during the day on low so that moisture forms on the top of the cage and drips down. The fogger is also helping the humidity stay high because it is a pain keeping a mesh cage humid
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Usually brown, occasionally orange and white. Never been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Bought him at PetSmart and have been figuring out proper care from these forums ever since
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen cage 38x20x20
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I bought a mercury all in one 100W bulb recently because the kit I bought came with a 50W bulb, and I recently saw him climbing to the top of the cage to get near the bulb. Upgraded so that he wasnt cold, havent seen him climb closer since. Light comes on at 730am and turns off at 730pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is 85-90 typically, and the lower half is typically room temp( 70-75) At night it gets around 65, I have a thermometer in the cage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
When I get up and before his first spraying humidity is at around 35% but with the spraying and the fogger it gets up around 70%. I have a meter in the cage to tell humidity levels
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have one Hibiscus and one Hosta and a few fake vines around the cages sides for protection from the light when needed
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is in my room, as my roommate has cats which arent allowed in there, there is an air vent above his cage but no one goes in there except me when I go to sleep, the top of the cage is about 5 feet from the floor-it is sitting on a bookshelf.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I am in the DC area
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
He isnt eating anymore, and has been "shedding" for about 2 weeks now.

Attachments

• 20190505_194155.jpg
    20190505_194155.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20190505_194201.jpg
    20190505_194201.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 185
Sorry @Albarber I just noticed this is your original post from Sunday and not your most recent one. Though did you edit it to match the help form format?
Regardless, dont worry about this thread and just follow what you have going on over there!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-wont-eat-anything.169144/

Did you fix anything pointed out in your previous thread yet?
He just reposted again but yes the problem your having is everything we told you in old post so make the changes. We aren’t pulling your leg dude. Guyload your feeders and supplement property not just when you feel like it. Trust us if you make all the corrections your chameleon will bounce back. If you don’t make the changes then we’ll he will die or she since you don’t know the sex still. Have you found spurs yet?

Thanks guy n gal for the heads up with this repost thread ...alphakenc hasnt been in the forum for a while n had no sleep lastnight...but thank you all to let me know the OP situation..much appreciated!!:)

Last edited:
Hey everyone so this was what I found most alarming. I think the little one is getting blasted with way too much uvb.... Along with the other items you mentioned. I picked a part the help sheet but please point out anything else I might have missed. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-wont-eat-anything.169144/
I bought a mercury all in one 100W bulb recently because the kit I bought came with a 50W bulb, and I recently saw him climbing to the top of the cage to get near the bulb. Upgraded so that he wasnt cold, havent seen him climb closer since.

He just reposted again but yes the problem your having is everything we told you in old post so make the changes. We aren’t pulling your leg dude. Guyload your feeders and supplement property not just when you feel like it. Trust us if you make all the corrections your chameleon will bounce back. If you don’t make the changes then we’ll he will die or she since you don’t know the sex still. Have you found spurs yet?

I have not found spurs. Im starting to think he is a she, I have attached some pics to get a second opinion. Sorry the angles are bad, he was not happy I had a big phone in his face.

Attachments

• 20190510_114913.jpg
    20190510_114913.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190510_114932.jpg
    20190510_114932.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190510_114947.jpg
    20190510_114947.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190510_115133.jpg
    20190510_115133.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 150
I have not found spurs. Im starting to think he is a she, I have attached some pics to get a second opinion. Sorry the angles are bad, he was not happy I had a big phone in his face.
You have a female...... You will want to read through this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/ So this is where husbandry has to be on point. Basking temp should be right about 82 degrees and giving nutritional feeders and limiting the number every other day. Typically I see people do about 5 feeders every other day for maturing females.
@JoXie411 are those receptive colors? Joxie knows more about female care then I do and can help you with that.

Your girl looks like she’s might be a little receptive and that’s not good because your not supplement right and I’m sure her body is leaching her calcium from her bones and muscles to develop those eggs. Witch is bad because if her body is weak so won’t be able to pass eggs. You need a laying bin!!! Females are an extra challenge due to the fact that they lay eggs. Giving them the right food and cage environment is so important. This is how I set up my laying bin When I noticed it was time. Also sorry about the typos. Something is wrong with my format
FA894B08-A51B-491C-8D0E-CCD5BE983D68.jpeg

Okay, just wanted to update everyone on the progress Ive made and am looking for any last minute suggestions or tips on a female chameleon.

I bought a linear uvb bulb, as well as a lower wattage basking bulb to keep her basking spot around 83
I bought Calcium, Calcium without D3, Multivitamins, as well as liquid calcium just in case.
I am starting to gutload my crickets with Kale, Collard Greens, and Butternut squash.
I bough a plant bin and filled it with moist sand so that she can borough down.
Also bought an automated misting system to kind of regulate when she gets watered.

I have attached pictures of the setup as of right now, but will be moving it around so it looks a bit more tidy.

Attachments

• 20190510_163353.jpg
    20190510_163353.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190510_163407.jpg
    20190510_163407.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20190510_163411.jpg
    20190510_163411.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190510_163421.jpg
    20190510_163421.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190510_163456.jpg
    20190510_163456.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 136
Good progress but your still lacking in the gutload department. If you can’t provide a better variety you may want to consider buying one of these. Your making legit progress!
5C3217CA-8DE6-4183-845F-EA67085B79DA.png
E6F6E4AD-8A25-4625-818D-63792788B5D4.png
889349B2-324C-4F04-B669-5C6FACF1B23F.jpeg

By lacking what exactly do you mean?
Should they be getting more than 3 different vegetables at a time?
I can always buy different veggies

Okay, just wanted to update everyone on the progress Ive made and am looking for any last minute suggestions or tips on a female chameleon.

I bought a linear uvb bulb, as well as a lower wattage basking bulb to keep her basking spot around 83
I bought Calcium, Calcium without D3, Multivitamins, as well as liquid calcium just in case.
I am starting to gutload my crickets with Kale, Collard Greens, and Butternut squash.
I bough a plant bin and filled it with moist sand so that she can borough down.
Also bought an automated misting system to kind of regulate when she gets watered.

I have attached pictures of the setup as of right now, but will be moving it around so it looks a bit more tidy.
Need more branches and foliage as well for her health and security. If you can find your chameleon right away there just isn't enough.
I believe what Brody is getting at is if that's all you feed your feeders everyweek that malnourishment can creep in. Mixing in some Bug Burger and/or Cricket Crack will help make it more robust of a gutload. I personally love Bee Pollen for gutloading and so do my feeders. I will give fresh veggies, fresh bug burger, and bee pollen at once. Guess which is usually the first they devour? Bee Pollen is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom