Chameleon Won't Drink!!

Ah I see what you mean, I hadn't seen the older thread. If he has had issues so recently I would be more worried. Especially since he now has issues with drinking. I would lean towards something like maybe parasites or something. I now think OP should look at vets.

Hey all, so i've been struggling to get my chameleon to drink he pooped friday and his urate was half orange and white. His eyes are visibly sunken in and everyday since i've been trying to get him to drink. The day before that he had drank from my sink fossett and i've only seen him drink in his cage one other time. Since then i've been giving him showers with his plant and he just doesn't want to be there, he climbs all over me and just wants to walk around every time I try to get him to drink from the fossett or the shower. I know you can give them water through a syringe but I cannot find one anywhere I'm really worried about the little guy please help!

Chameleon Age: 1 1/2 Veiled Chameleon (I have had him for almost a month now).

Cage: extra-large reptibreeze screened cage ( I forget the measurements) three sides are covered in clear shower-liner to maintain humidity

Temp: 70 below his cage, 75 in the middle, and 85-90 in his basking spot.

Light: 160 watt uvb mercury bulb (It gets very cold in my apartment and drafty, I have not so great heat, so thats why I use a high watt bulb he seems to do fine with it and the humidity stays where it needs to be, It is getting warmer so I will be switching to a 100 watt).

Water: He has a dripper and I'm attempting to put two or three ice cubes around the cage to get him to drink as well.

Humidity: I have a humidifier that runs all day and night, in between mistings the humidity is around 40-45% and when I mist it goes to 80%

Location: He is in a corner in my living room not near any doors or drafty areas. Its not very loud in my apartment so hes not really disturbed.

Feed: Dusted crickets with Repashy calcium plus every other day they are size large. He doesn't seem interested in superworms or the greens I give him, he eats about 3-4 crickets on a good day, usually he'll eat two until they escape the cup and he'll go after them. I also cup feed.
Mine won’t drink either. Since it’s so easy for them to aspirate (their windpipe is in the middle of the mouth and not the back like mammals), I feed mine tiny, daily ice chips. I take my thumbnail and put it between her jaws til she opens up then pop one in

Mine won’t drink either. Since it’s so easy for them to aspirate (their windpipe is in the middle of the mouth and not the back like mammals), I feed mine tiny, daily ice chips. I take my thumbnail and put it between her jaws til she opens up then pop one in
Hi. This is an old thread, but obviously you’re searching for answers about your chameleon not drinking. Many chameleons are secretive about drinking, but you have been going by her urates which are yellow and orange. I’d say to start a new thread, but since we’re already here…. 🤷‍♀️
Maybe we can try to determine why your chameleon isn’t drinking on her own. Can you post a pic of your cham and her enclosure?

I had a Veiled for approximately 7 years, and during those 7 years i NEVER saw him drink…not once. Now he was obvioulsy getting his hydration requirements met some how, or he would not have lived that long but my guess is that he was drinking minimally after i left, from the sprayed down leaves. I never owned a dripper/or mister, so he was either getting water by licking the leaves or by way of his food.

The advantage of having a Veilded is that they are sort of built like camels; their body is better equipped at meeting its water requirements through means other than straight water, unlike other chameleons.

Like i mentioned before, i never saw my Veiled drink. What i suspect is that he got all the fluid he needed by eating the fruits and veggies i made available to him; which he readily consumed right in front of me.

Orange and red bell pepper, collard, mustard and turnip greens, and blueberries were his favorites. He actually ate these more readily than he did insects. I would try leaving some of these food items in his enclosure and see if he rectifies his own hydration issues.
@Beman
One user recommended fruits and vegetables but is it true u shouldn’t feed fruits and vegetables bc they are insectivores

@Beman
One user recommended fruits and vegetables but is it true u shouldn’t feed fruits and vegetables bc they are insectivores
Once I saw it was an old thread, I only read the most recent post. But yes, it is correct that chameleons are insectivores. However, only veileds have truly demonstrated that they will eat plant matter.
I’m thinking there has to be an underlying reason that @Kelley Meyer has a chameleon that isn’t drinking.

Once I saw it was an old thread, I only read the most recent post. But yes, it is correct that chameleons are insectivores. However, only veileds have truly demonstrated that they will eat plant matter.
I’m thinking there has to be an underlying reason that @Kelley Meyer has a chameleon that isn’t drinking.
Yea
okay thanks I agree that there might be a underlying reason that the other Cham won’t drink

@Kelley Meyer said..."I feed mine tiny, daily ice chips. I take my thumbnail and put it between her jaws til she opens up then pop one in"...it is not a good idea to feed her ice chips...they're way too cold for her. Also using your fingernail to open her mouth may injur her mouth.

Have you tried dripping water on the end of her nose at the rate of about one drop every two seconds?

You haven't answered the questions in the health forum in the thread how to ask for help. It might give us some clues as to why she's not drinking as would some photos of her.

Back
Top Bottom