Chameleon with no eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,
My name. I Dea and I've been on the forum for less than an hour. I've had many many animals growing up. Since my hubby Scott and I have been together over 20 yrs between all our animals as well as people calling me I've always been the one to say it's time. I used to cry a lot. However one day while crying I realized I was doing what was needed for the animal. If it was what I wanted who knows what that animal may go thru. The biggest thing, listen to your gut. It won't ever lead you the wrong way. As much as it hurts for me it's also relief.

I also know a different dispatch method. A few actually but this is one that can be done quickly and easy. If you don't have access to dry ice. Put the animal in a zip lock. Wrap that in paper towels. Another zip lock and more paper towels. While doing this keep saying "This is for the animal. Not forme". Drop something heavy on it. A big book I like because there is no way. Possible you can miss. Anything heavy and bigger than the ziplock will do. For me I hate doing this but there's no choice. So once I drop the item I walk away for a little me time. I'm so sorry this is my first post on this board.

I'm so very sorry for your losz
Dea

I can go deer hunting (haven't in a while though) and that doesn't bug me. It's food, and you have to eat to survive. Unless you're vegan, which I'm not, that means killing animals for meat. So I either gotta do it or someone else has to do it for me. That's where a supermarket comes in handy, so you can go purchase what others have already done for you. Deer jerky is super yummy..... and I've never seen it in a store...... and nobody is gonna hunt a deer FOR me..... I guess that's why I'm okay with hunting it myself. (Boy do I hate that Hunter Fever shaking crap though!) Now, if it was a little Bambi that I found in my yard when it was young and raised it to adult and had to put it down for some reason, it might be a different story....

I know a guy who can get you some jerky.

I hunt also for food. I grew up surrounded by guns. By the time I was three I was cleaning them. I find it interesting that children who are taught about guns and the danger end up not bothering with them when they get older.

I know a guy who can get you some jerky.

Oh really now? Too bad you're not nearby..... lol. Deer season is still a little way away.....

The best jerky is the jerky you make yourself.

Absolutely! I am usually eating it almost as soon as it comes out of the dehydrator. The best! And you can spice it up how you like when you make it too!

Give a man jerky and he'll eat for a day.

Teach a man to jerk, and...

No...wait.

OMG I can't even :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Oh really now? Too bad you're not nearby..... lol. Deer season is still a little way away.....

Absolutely! I am usually eating it almost as soon as it comes out of the dehydrator. The best! And you can spice it up how you like when you make it too!
I plan on making all kinds of jerky this year, deer, muskrat, raccoon, and what ever else I get.

I plan on making all kinds of jerky this year, deer, muskrat, raccoon, and what ever else I get

I've never had muskrat or coon jerky. Never heard of people eating it to be honest.... lots and lots of deer jerky lovers around here though.

I have to say it. If you're making your jerky on a dehydrator instead of a smoker, you are missing out on such a higher quality of jerky.

I don't personally own a smoker, but my mom and my brother both own one. I've had jerky off of them before, and it definitely is better. I just don't own one myself at the moment. Living in an apartment, I'm a little limited on space. Quite a few things I wish I had that I don't currently have room for..... Bigger grill, swimming pool, 4-wheeler, more reptiles......

Wow we are straying from the topic now. Lol. I just had to mention yummy jerky :ROFLMAO:

Funny how the topics can quickly take a left turn... @trickedoutbiker

It's because this community is a great community and when it comes down to it, aside from the reptiles, a lot of us are still very much alike and can connect on a lot of levels. I have a feeling that if there was ever a huge Chameleon Forum get together barbeque or something one day and we all showed up, a lot of us would be leaving with a lot of new friends.

If only. Lol. That would be cool!

@Virgil1972 better bring some coon jerky to let me try if that ever happens though. Just so you know buddy (y) ;)

I've never had muskrat or coon jerky. Never heard of people eating it to be honest.... lots and lots of deer jerky lovers around here though
Muskrat is a bit of a delicacy here, they fry it or make stew.

I don't personally own a smoker, but my mom and my brother both own one. I've had jerky off of them before, and it definitely is better. I just don't own one myself at the moment. Living in an apartment, I'm a little limited on space. Quite a few things I wish I had that I don't currently have room for..... Bigger grill, swimming pool, 4-wheeler, more reptiles......

Wow we are straying from the topic now. Lol. I just had to mention yummy jerky :ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone again. I couldn't look at the topic because of some problems in my country, Turkey :( Anyway, baby is still alive. Force feeding is difficult but still useful. For this week in streets, I saw how people can hurt other people, how can they kill a person by beating them. I saw how easy to take a life from someone. So now you want me to kill a little baby chameleon. I can kill it dozens of times. I can give it to predator birds from balcony. But I didn't. It is all about what do you expect from this hobby. For me, I have never expected to kill a little chameleon for its disability. I really understand how you look at this situation. You want me to think with my brain not my heart but believe me this is not a decision by made from heart.

Hi everyone again. I couldn't look at the topic because of some problems in my country, Turkey :( Anyway, baby is still alive. Force feeding is difficult but still useful. For this week in streets, I saw how people can hurt other people, how can they kill a person by beating them. I saw how easy to take a life from someone. So now you want me to kill a little baby chameleon. I can kill it dozens of times. I can give it to predator birds from balcony. But I didn't. It is all about what do you expect from this hobby. For me, I have never expected to kill a little chameleon for its disability. I really understand how you look at this situation. You want me to think with my brain not my heart but believe me this is not a decision by made from heart.

Kudo to you! You are an honorable human being. A life is very important and I am the same way. When my daughter and I had chameleon babies we took the best care that we could of each and every one of them. I had a little baby that couldn't get out of the egg on it's on. It was just to weak and couldn't open it's eyes. We helped her out of the egg and kept her alive and gave her a good quality of life until she was 15 months old. We were so very sad when she passed. I would be devastated to lose one of my tiny new born babies. Please keep us posted, when you can on how your baby is doing.

Admirable but not logical.

When we take these animals out of the wild and into captivity, we are responsible for all the things that nature does for them...and this includes making the hard decisions of euthanizing them. If you cannot make these hard decisions, i'm sorry, but taking care of an animal is not your strong suit. You are thinking about your own feelings not his. Put in some ear plugs, then blind fold yourself and see for yourself how 24 hours probably feels like one week; people on here are sugar coating it for you, but you need to 'man-up' or 'woman-up' and do what needs to be done.

Honestly, I agree with you. I wouldn't be able to put the baby to sleep either and I too would also try to give it the best life possible. If the baby is trying to survive by eating and drinking and you have the time and patience to take care of it then I also think it deserves a chance at life.

I watched a program the other day about a no kill shelter for animals with disabilities and a lot of them were blind. They had blind horses living in a field that learned to get around just fine and they were able to find and eat their food on their own. They had blind dogs and cats that could move around a house just fine. It was amazing that all these animals were able to fine tune one of their senses to learn how to survive!

Maybe a cham can't smell or hear but they are super sensitive to vibrations which is their form of hearing. Maybe if your little Cham survives it will develop its own way to find and capture food. And if it doesn't then I'm pretty sure it will learn to hand feed. Both my chams Free range and they are hand misted and hand fed everyday.

Everybody has an opinion but I say is do what you feel is right and don't listen to anyone but your self. If you want to try and save your little Cham then do it. If the little Cham ends up dying then at least you did the best you could. You never know until you try!

Best of luck :)

Natalie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom