Chameleon with no eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamillion

Established Member
Hello everyone, my Panther Chameleon clutch has started to hatch. I got my first baby panther then second one comes up. But I realized that second one has no eyes. I really don't know what to do. Should I wait for its death ??

Attachments

• DSC_6194.jpg
    DSC_6194.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC_6199.jpg
    DSC_6199.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_6201.jpg
    DSC_6201.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC_6202.jpg
    DSC_6202.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_6206.jpg
    DSC_6206.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC_6213.jpg
    DSC_6213.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 457
That poor little guy. I would do the best I can to take care of it, unfortuatly I don't think he is going to live long if he can't hunt or find water on the leaves to drink. Falling is a real possiblity as well. Sorry I can't be more help.

Hello everyone, my Panther Chameleon clutch has started to hatch. I got my first baby panther then second one comes up. But I realized that second one has no eyes. I really don't know what to do. Should I wait for its death ??

You dispatch it humanely if it has no eyes. It can't survive that way and allowing it to just starve to death and die of thirst is inhumane.

There's also no telling what other defects it may have besides no eyes. With that being said many animals have an amazing ability to adapt and thrive with proper supports in place.

I can't dispatch. Come on guys how can you do that to a very little tiny chameleon ? I will try to feed him after a few days later.

So I'm forever the optimist and have seen many animals with disabilities that people thought they couldn't overcome rise above the challenge. He will more than likely require hand-feeding for the rest of his life but with an enclosure that never changes he could probably learn to navigate it safely and find water to drink. Since this person wants to give his cham a chance I think we should support him.

I can't dispatch. Come on guys how can you do that to a very little tiny chameleon ? I will try to feed him after a few days later.

How do you plan to hand feed something that needs to eat 10+ fruit fly's or pinhead crickets a few times a day to live even short term. It just doesn't seem realistic to think the animal has even a remote chance of living let alone thriving. The humane thing to do is the dry ice chamber, not prolong the suffering of the animal because it makes you sad to euthanize. This is a no win scenario but a responsibility you undertook by breeding. Hope the rest of the clutch is healthy.

I'm curious did you breed a Sire and Dam that was related in some way?

No way.

I understand how you feel, but it would be best for the animal. Sorry you are dealing with this.

I can't decide what is best for it, but I will do my best for keeping it alive. I really don't want him to suffer but you want me to kill it to prevent suffering ? This is the easiest way. I have always believed %0.1 chances. Only hope can save it. I know how they are small and tiny. They can easily get stressed. Bu this little baby will never get stressed, don't forget he can't see. I will do my best be sure that.

just put him in an air tight container with some dry ice
the ice becomes co2 and he will just go to sleep
letting him suffer is cruel

I understand how you see the situation. But I said my word.

So I'm forever the optimist and have seen many animals with disabilities that people thought they couldn't overcome rise above the challenge. He will more than likely require hand-feeding for the rest of his life but with an enclosure that never changes he could probably learn to navigate it safely and find water to drink. Since this person wants to give his cham a chance I think we should support him.

Thanks for support. Lets see what happens in the coming days.

How can you believe it won't get stressed? Plenty of things cause these animals stress not just visual cues, but even so chameleons evolved to be visual predators whose eyes are the primary sense organ. Without them must be pretty stressful all the time for the little one. I've stated my opinion though and understand you've got to do what you feel is best.

Last edited:
I recommend misting him as normal. He should be able to drink. Two days after hatch you will need to try to get some food in his mouth and feed him everyday there after. If you really work with him you might be able to save him. If you do decided to put him down PLEASE take him to a reptile vet and have the vet do it.

JannB is right. You might be able to save him/her if you devoted your life to it. What kind of a life are you giving this animal? Who is going to take it and give it what it needs?

You ask how anyone could possibly kill a little chameleon.

It is really simple. You take a pair of scissors and you cut its head off. If it is big, you use garden shears. Or, you put it on the ground and you step on it and make sure you really destroy it's little brain. You could do a cervical dislocation, but that requires a bit of skill and you can't be meek when you are killing animals. If you tried a cervical dislocation you would likely remove the head. I did a lot of research into slaughter and squishing its tiny little brain really quickly is the most humane method, much more humane than taking it to a vet who is constrained by the appearance of humaneness. I even researched into the time it took for pain messages to move across the brain and compared them with the loss of consciousness from a drop in blood pressure. A vet will inject euthanol into the abdominal cavity or the heart. Either way, they normally will not allow the dead animal to leave their premises unless they have decapitated it or frozen it.

Ya, breeding reptiles isn't all lightness and joy. Sometimes it is just plain ugly. Most breeders like you just allow the animal to waste away and die a slow lingering death.

just put him in an air tight container with some dry ice
the ice becomes co2 and he will just go to sleep
letting him suffer is cruel

I don't agree with this.

Dry ice is frozen CO2. A rise in CO2 levels in the blood is what triggers breathing and the feeling of suffocating. A lack of oxygen in the blood does not trigger distress--it is the increase in CO2 levels that causes distress. If you are going to use gas, use carbon monoxide or argon, neither of which causes the respiratory distress that a rise in CO2 levels in the blood does.

No way.

I can't decide what is best for it, but I will do my best for keeping it alive. I really don't want him to suffer but you want me to kill it to prevent suffering ? This is the easiest way. I have always believed %0.1 chances. Only hope can save it. I know how they are small and tiny. They can easily get stressed. Bu this little baby will never get stressed, don't forget he can't see. I will do my best be sure that.

I understand how you see the situation. But I said my word.

Thanks for support. Lets see what happens in the coming days.

Please share your experience with us. It isn't the end of the world for a newly hatched baby chameleon to die of dehydration or starvation. I'm curious how long it takes and how long you are able to keep this one going.

I really hate to give my opinions of such topics, but I also feel that the critter should be put down.

Yeah, he may respond to misting but feeding..? I doubt he'll feed since what they see triggers a feeding response..and he can't see.

I'm sorry to say this, but he will suffer and die slowly if you allow him to live. If this had occurred in the wild, nature would have taken care of it via a predator getting to him soon after he hatched.

I say euthanize him quickly via decapitation. I know it's heart breaking but it really is the best thing for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom