Chameleon with large wide casque!

Hi I have a 3 year old male veiled chameleon named yoshi. I’ve had him since he was about 4 months old. In the past year he seemed to stop growing his casque and I started to become concerned but he ate acted like his usual self grumpy as always and was always eating! I feed him about 6 Dubias every other day, and nutrigrubs as well as greens, along with hornworms every 2-3 weeks. I researched a bit and noticed that obesity is often an issue in chameleons but in my case I’m starting to believe that’s not the case... if anyone has any advice or ideas on what this could be please let me know or if I should consult a vet. Thank you guys and also he has a heat lamp 75w and a uvb t5 5.0.
The initial first 2 pictures are in January of 2021 and the pictures where he is sleeping is current. Thank you all for your time if you could please help!

Attachments

• 55C21232-1BBC-4B4E-BE1F-1EE7738B1DDD.png
    55C21232-1BBC-4B4E-BE1F-1EE7738B1DDD.png
    923.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 2E71A0CB-2097-4A5A-A5E7-184F8BAE7E67.png
    2E71A0CB-2097-4A5A-A5E7-184F8BAE7E67.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 760DE40E-1DE2-4259-BB05-ECCE65020563.jpeg
    760DE40E-1DE2-4259-BB05-ECCE65020563.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 166
  • C3CBDD1B-47C0-4BAA-ABDF-DFB9CC0BAC5A.jpeg
    C3CBDD1B-47C0-4BAA-ABDF-DFB9CC0BAC5A.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 163
Hi I have a 3 year old male veiled chameleon named yoshi. I’ve had him since he was about 4 months old. In the past year he seemed to stop growing his casque and I started to become concerned but he ate acted like his usual self grumpy as always and was always eating! I feed him about 6 Dubias every other day, and nutrigrubs as well as greens, along with hornworms every 2-3 weeks. I researched a bit and noticed that obesity is often an issue in chameleons but in my case I’m starting to believe that’s not the case... if anyone has any advice or ideas on what this could be please let me know or if I should consult a vet. Thank you guys and also he has a heat lamp 75w and a uvb t5 5.0.
The initial first 2 pictures are in January of 2021 and the pictures where he is sleeping is current. Thank you all for your time if you could please help!
Take your Cham to a vet ASAP! Also you don’t need to feed a adult chameleon everyday it’s unnecessary feed him one day and don’t feed him the next day

Also they are insectivores they don’t need greens

Hi and welcome. I agree that it does look like your guy has gotten a nasty burn. While a puffed out casque is a sign of obesity, I think in your guy’s situation it’s hard to tell as it may be infection or swelling. You definitely need to take him to a vet. He needs a prescription burn cream and probably some oral antibiotics.
I also agree that the only thing you need to feed him is live buggies. While veileds will eat greens and other produce, it’s best to just make sure to give them live and safe plants and let them nibble away at them as they choose.
I do have several questions about all of your care and as there’s so very much incorrect care information out there, would like to help you and make sure all is correct for your guy. However, getting his burn treated is priority right now. After that, I would suggest a husbandry review, which is answering the following questions and including pics of your enclosure. Let’s make sure your handsome guy has the best life and you enjoy him for many years to come.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Lol I'm aware of that. Lol but I'm assuming if I put some greens in there he would love them too cause he loves his plants.
K, so your not supposed to feed your chams anything besides insects bc they are insectivores…. Veileds will eat greens And produce but it’s best to let them only have insects and let them eat their live plants inside their enclosures when they want to nibble

I can see your heat lamp is directly resting on the screen othe cage, which is the reason for the terrible burn and possible misshapen casque.

You need to lift your heat bulb and make sure he’s only got a basking temp of 79-81 degrees.

Looking at the area of concern, this seems likely to be a reoccurring problem. He keeps burning the same area and it’s not allowing it time to heal, hence why it’s so swollen and more than likely infected.

You need to take him to the vet as soon as possible. Get treatment going and address the husbandry problems immediately.

It would be nice if you posted a pic of your cage from the lights all the way down to the bottom. Then once we get a detailed description of his diet we can address that too.

So this boy has a few things going on. He is being over fed. Male veileds at 1 year or older should be getting 3-4 feeders every other day... Most will put Males on a schedule of three days a week with 3-4 feeders instead of every other day.

Now he is already obese. You can tell by his cheeks. They are puffy. So he would need to be fed no more then 2-3 small sized feeders 3 days a week to drop grams.

BUT you can tell that the casque has had thermal burns and I agree it looks like it is a reoccuring issue. I would not doubt at all if some of the swelling in the casque is actually puss. But a lot of that is fat as well.

You need a reptile vet to see about meds and the casque. And you should do the husbandry review that was posted above for you.

So this boy has a few things going on. He is being over fed. Male veileds at 1 year or older should be getting 3-4 feeders every other day... Most will put Males on a schedule of three days a week with 3-4 feeders instead of every other day.

Now he is already obese. You can tell by his cheeks. They are puffy. So he would need to be fed no more then 2-3 small sized feeders 3 days a week to drop grams.

BUT you can tell that the casque has had thermal burns and I agree it looks like it is a reoccuring issue. I would not doubt at all if some of the swelling in the casque is actually puss. But a lot of that is fat as well.

You need a reptile vet to see about meds and the casque. And you should do the husbandry review that was posted above for you.
Thank you so much I appreciate the feedback it is so helpful I’m getting a stand to help hang the heat source because I never knew about thermal burns until recently and thank you for feedback I did think he was obese but wasn’t sure since I don’t feed him in bulk but I will downsize to 3-4 days a week thank you so much! And finding vet ASAP

I can see your heat lamp is directly resting on the screen othe cage, which is the reason for the terrible burn and possible misshapen casque.

You need to lift your heat bulb and make sure he’s only got a basking temp of 79-81 degrees.

Looking at the area of concern, this seems likely to be a reoccurring problem. He keeps burning the same area and it’s not allowing it time to heal, hence why it’s so swollen and more than likely infected.

You need to take him to the vet as soon as possible. Get treatment going and address the husbandry problems immediately.

It would be nice if you posted a pic of your cage from the lights all the way down to the bottom. Then once we get a detailed description of his diet we can address that too.
image.jpg

This is his cage now I am thinking of some ways I can lift the heat source currently but his diet I explain in my first thread. He was just eating 6 Dubia roaches every other day and was eating nutrigrubs every 2 days and hornworms once every other day when I would receive them because they do grow fast! Also I have questions about when I should be using calcium with d3 and without when it’s appropriate.

Thank you so much I appreciate the feedback it is so helpful I’m getting a stand to help hang the heat source because I never knew about thermal burns until recently and thank you for feedback I did think he was obese but wasn’t sure since I don’t feed him in bulk but I will downsize to 3-4 days a week thank you so much! And finding vet ASAP
Remember it is 3 days and only 2-3 feeders until he drops weight.

This is how I lift my heat lamps. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ff-of-chameleon-enclosure.184467/post-1694002

I am bringing him to a vet tomorrow thank you all for your help if you have any reccom
i am getting him seen by a vet this week! They were all booked and I have no close exotic veterinarians near me so this is my only option I explained the situation and thank you for all being so helpful I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom