Chameleon vs Chameleon

I had read those guys could run fast, but that little one really hauled right before he decided to stop and get munched.

I saw this video before quite funny quite sad lol. Is it true you can't get hold of these chams for captivity?

I saw this video before quite funny quite sad lol. Is it true you can't get hold of these chams for captivity?
Probably not. All South African reptiles are restricted from collecting and trade (without quite onorous permits normally only granted for research). However, the range of Namaquensis extends up into Namibia - I'm not sure what their laws are regarding chameleons.

But even if you could acquire a specimen, I wouldn't recommend them to the amateur keeper. Their habitat and behaviour is vastly different from most other large chameleons (they don't live in trees, have no prehensile tail, and live in a desert...) Though I have seen footage of one drinking after water was poured onto its snout, I'm not sure how effective conventional watering techniques would be, and who knows what specific dietary requirements they may have. Plus there would be the whole lighting issue... would a 10.0 UVB bulb be correct? And what about heat? Would they need extreme heat, or would it simply kill them in captive situations because they couldn't rely on their usual techniques for regulating heat?
Somehow I don't think these guys are going to catch on in the pet trade...

And since we're on the topic of morbid cham vids, did you see this other one up there?
Boomslang vs. Chameleon

I'm sure most herpers are familiar with the boomslang, but for those who aren't, it is a South African tree-dwelling snake (in Afrikaans, boom = tree and slang = snake, thus tree-snake).
And in this vid, it takes out a Chameleo quilensis, the Southern African flap-necked chameleon.

Probably not. All South African reptiles are restricted from collecting and trade (without quite onorous permits normally only granted for research). However, the range of Namaquensis extends up into Namibia - I'm not sure what their laws are regarding chameleons.

But even if you could acquire a specimen, I wouldn't recommend them to the amateur keeper. Their habitat and behaviour is vastly different from most other large chameleons (they don't live in trees, have no prehensile tail, and live in a desert...) Though I have seen footage of one drinking after water was poured onto its snout, I'm not sure how effective conventional watering techniques would be, and who knows what specific dietary requirements they may have. Plus there would be the whole lighting issue... would a 10.0 UVB bulb be correct? And what about heat? Would they need extreme heat, or would it simply kill them in captive situations because they couldn't rely on their usual techniques for regulating heat?
Somehow I don't think these guys are going to catch on in the pet trade...

if i'm not mistaken, 1 advanced keeper in this forum used to try once (legally, off course). But, to no avail, it dies in his captivity.
He said that the hardest thing to emulate is the requirement for the extreme temp drop.
From the hottest day (i'm guessing above 100) to a below 50 night temp.

WOW! That guy is HUGE, or maybe the little brave chameleon was just small. Either way, that little guy fronted to the wrong chameleon! (Poor cute little fella!)

WOW! That guy is HUGE, or maybe the little brave chameleon was just small. Either way, that little guy fronted to the wrong chameleon! (Poor cute little fella!)

The little guy is a hatchling. The entire video series is fantastic, and i highly recommend everyone watch it :)

Aww! How big are those guys supposed to get? It is difficult to tell since you have nothing to compare them to except for one another...

They grow to about 25cm total length (about 10 inches), but their tails are much shorter than most of the large chams, thus their actual body size isn't much different to the flap-neck.

hmm for some reason I thought they grew to like a foot in SVL from something I was reading. How seasonal is it where they come from?

I wished you warned me before i saw that. I don't know what i was expecting but boy that wasn't nice. And the one with the snake, God, i had to shut that one off as soon as i saw the cham start to get nervous. Ya i know it happens, just hate seeing it and yes i am a wusss.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom