Chameleon very dark while shedding

wixard

so my 3 month old panther chameleon started his first shed last night and today he is very dark while still shedding is this normal or something to be worried about?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male, 3 months old got him a week ago
  • Handling - the only time i did was to put him in his enclosure once getting home
  • Feeding - currently i am offering around 10-15 crickets (the smaller one so he can handle them) in a feeder cup he is eating about 8-10 daily
  • Supplements - I'm using the rep-cal without d3 rn and plan to buy multivitamin and calcium with d3 to dose twice a month
  • Watering - i have been using a spray bottle to mist once before i turn the lights on and once after the lights are off both for 2 minutes
  • Fecal Description - the fecal matter look normal brown on one end and white on the other
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - its the reptibreeze screen cage medium (18x18x36)
  • Lighting - reptisun T5HO fixture with t5 5.0 bulb and a flukers clamp lamp with a 40w bulb currently
  • Temperature - Around 75F at the bottom to 80ish directly on the basking spot im using a point and shoot thermometer
  • Humidity - they usually stay around 60 overall and are heigher in the bottom of the cage and after misting obv
  • Plants - currently i just have a large Monstera in there but im prepping a pothos to start creating vines
  • Placement - the cage is located in my room I'm the only usually in there
  • Location - Texas

Attachments

• IMG-1611.jpg
    IMG-1611.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-1612.jpg
    IMG-1612.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-1613.jpg
    IMG-1613.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 64
Hi, there, and what a cutie, congrats! To answer your question, it is normal. Most chams get aggravated and grumpy while shedding.

Some side notes though:
-Feed him as much as he'll eat at this point
-What are you gutload with, and what size crickets are you using?
-For your multivitamin and D3, you can get and use Zoo Med's Reptivite With D3 once every two weeks, with the calcium without D3 at all other feedings
-How far away is his basking branch from his UVB? Distance matters so he gets the appropriate UVI level
-To accurately check his temperature, use a digital thermometer with probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch. Temp guns measure surface temps, while the baking temp is an air temp

Last edited:
Hi, there, and what a cutie, congrats! To answer your question, it is normal. Most chams get aggravated and grumpy while shedding.

Some side notes though:
-Feed him as much as he'll eat at this point
-What are you gutload with, and what size crickets are you using?
-For your multivitamin and D3, you can get and use Zoo Med's Reptivite With D3 once every two weeks, with the calcium without D3 at all other feedings
-How far away is his basking branch from his UVB? Distance matters so he gets the appropriate UVI level
-To accurately check his temperature, use a digital thermometer with probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch. Temp guns measure surface temps, while the baking temp is an air temp
hey thanks for the reply
currently ive been gutloading with carrots and mangos but im going to grab some collard greens at the store this week the crickets are between small and medium
the uvb is 10 in from the branch and there is the screen between it

hey thanks for the reply
currently ive been gutloading with carrots and mangos but im going to grab some collard greens at the store this week the crickets are between small and medium
the uvb is 10 in from the branch and there is the screen between it
The more variety in gutload, the better! Add as many of these ingredients I linked below (in the correct ratios) as you can find! You'll want to be feeding insects around 1/4" long right now. He'll probably wolf down way more once he gets the correct size. Just like with gutload, the more variety of feeder insects, the better! I also linked a feeder chart below, as well. Let us know if you want/need help on where to get feeders, we're happy to assist! If you could move the branch up so the distance between it and the UVB bulb is between 8-9", it'll be perfect!

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 69
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom