Chameleon turned gray

I
You said.."Actually it may be the uvb light and the coloration of it, I still just want to be sure, he looked a lot more gray before then, the photo had flash"...them in post #17 you show a photo of him that's very orange looking and said he was under the heat light...what color are the lights?? What are you using for UVB and basking?
i am using a reptisun 5.0 18” uvb light. And I am using the heat lights below in a 6” exo terra deep dome.

Attachments

• 672C9644-FCB1-4CC0-9831-9B8D975B57AE.png
    672C9644-FCB1-4CC0-9831-9B8D975B57AE.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 60
The basking spot is ranging from 85 to 90 in different spots, I need to do something to make that lower, around 80 right? And at night I get it as cool as I can in my room but I’m not sure if the exact temp, it is usually in the 60s though.
Yes, 85 to 90F is too high. You either need to raise the basking bulb up off the cage, lower the basking branch, or get a lower wattage bulb. The most preferable option is to raise the bulb up or get a lower wattage bulb since if you lower the branch, he may be more inclined to screen climb. He is most definitely getting too hot (causing him to overheat and turn white) when basking.

Additionally, you should be measuring your room temps to make sure they are staying cool enough. During the hot summer, how are you going to cool him at night when the temps don't get as low (depending on your region)?

What color light does the basking light produce?
You may be giving too much UVB too because you have the (right) Reptisun already as well as the basking light having UVB in it.

Last edited:
It is not recommended to have a basking bulb with both uva and uvb because if you are basing the distance of the bulb on temperature, then you could be overexposing your cham to high levels of uvb.

The 18 inch linear 5.0 reptisun works fine for uvb. How far way is the linear bulb from the branch below it?

Yes, 85 to 90F is too high. You either need to raise the basking bulb up off the cage, lower the basking branch, or get a lower wattage bulb. The most preferable option is to raise the bulb up or get a lower wattage bulb since if you lower the branch, he may be more inclined to screen climb. He is most definitely getting too hot (causing him to overheat and turn white) when basking.

Additionally, you should be measuring your room temps to make sure they are staying cool enough. During the hot summer, how are you going to cool him at night when the temps don't get as low (depending on your region)?
I’m going to be moving to a different room soon where it will be cooler, and if the need arises I can get an air conditioner in the room.

To be honest I also did not know that the basking light had uvb in them. But here is the distances, I felt like this would be easier than taking multiple pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 58
You said..."he only has done it since I’ve gotten the strip uvb light set up"...I just read this....sounds like it's something to do with the addition of the strip light.

Still wondering what color of light the bulbs are giving off...white light? Reddish light?

Also...your cage looks dark to me.

You said..."he only has done it since I’ve gotten the strip uvb light set up"...I just read this....sounds like it's something to do with the addition of the strip light.

Still wondering what color of light the bulbs are giving off...white light? Reddish light?
The strip light gives off white light which may be making him look brighter and more gray than he was before. The heat light is yellowish in color.

I would use white light for the basking light too. The most recommended basking light is a regular white incandescent household bulb (not LeD).

I would use white light for the basking light too. The most recommended basking light is a regular white incandescent household bulb (not LeD).
Okay, thankyou so much everyone. I’m going to up his watering and get new lights, I’ll have to order them most likely, is he going to be okay with the lighting he has for a few days while the lights are delivered?

Also...your cage looks dark to me.
Also I just saw the end of your message, the cage is fairly dark but I don’t know why, all of the fixtures and bulbs are brand new, And they are working great.

Back
Top Bottom