Chameleon Trying to Escape?

CamoCam

My chameleon is brand new, just got him today. It is veiled and male and has a nice big cage, 5 months old and goes to the floor and rubs it's hands on the glass wall. Help

Glass cage? Is he in an aquarium? What kind of heat/lighting do you have?

Any pics of his setup would be helpful as well.

Glass cage? Is he in an aquarium? What kind of heat/lighting do you have?

Any pics of his setup would be helpful as well.

Hey, here it is I got a 75 watt basking light and 13w UVB 100

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 209
first, the tank should be mesh. a 75 watt for a cham seems a little too high. is his mouth open too?

spags is going where I was going. I'm also wondering about the size of the cage. If I were you I would ditch the glass terrarium and go with an all screen cage like a reptibreeze or a higher end DragonStrand, Although there are other brands of all screen cages that'll suffice. If you have a 5 month old Male I would also suggest a size that will be his permanent cage like a large DragonStrand or the Atrium, also by DragonStrand. He needs more climbing space as well. A large cage does no good if he can't use all the space so make sure there are plenty of branches and vines To get from point A to point B.

75 W is definitely too much for a glass terrarium. They need different temp zones so they can thermo regulate which the glass terrarium doesn't allow. A screen cage will. If you are concerned with humidity levels you can also get the breeder series DragonStrand to help with that (no you don't have to be a breeder to get this cage)

I think he is trying to escape from the heat. He may also be restless d/t the size. I can't say with 100% certainty that these are the only things going on but I can say that these are things I would fix ASAP.

I second on the dragonstand breeder series. If I was going to buy one that is what I would get. I'm in the north and humidity is an issues in winter months. Also read the chameleon care articles we have on here.

I think 75 watts should be fine just so long as the temperatures dont get too high. Check the temps at the bottom of the cage and at the basking point. If they are too high try raising the basking lamp. Jannb recommends a temp gun, kind of a point and shoot thermometer. I picked one up on sale on Amazon for $12 and it works great!

It sounds like he wants to get out. I know mine is a little explorer and likes to come out if the cage is open. It could be due to the arrangement of the cage. Try rearranging the foliage to give him more options.

Everyone seems to say a mesh cage is a must have. It will allow for good airflow which is a key part of arboreal living. Stagnant air in a glass cage could disagree with your cham and make him want to escape. Chameleons aren't necessarily the smartest in the animal kingdom so the reflections on the glass might be getting to him. He might be trying to climb the glass. Also, seeing their own reflection could cause stress as they prefer solitude.

I hope this gives you some stuff to think about.
Joel

Back
Top Bottom