Chameleon trying to escape habitat

We've had this little guy for about 3mo now and I'm going to guess he was already 6mo old

Once we got heat and light sorted out together with nutrients based on feedback in this forum he seemed to settle down although for the most part he only eats crickets. We tried the odd super worm and horned worms, but I guess he just likes to hunt the crickets, so.....

Anyway, we have him in a started habitat 16" x 16" x 30" elevated off the ground about 2' He has a drip and gets mist 2 x daily (which he hates). The habitat has plenty of places to hide, climb and bask in the lamps with artificial plants, no real plants. Heat and lights on timer cycle which he follows religiously. he eats between 5-10 crickets depending on size a day from semi-transparent bins but also hits the ones that escape. We rarely leave any food in the habitat once he goes to rest in a corner or under some foliage.

Over the last week, he started to act strangely. When placing food in his habitat, he climbs towards the door and once it's opened he climbs up and out. I put my hand out and he climbs onto me. if I let him he'd climb up my arm and head for my head, but I'll let him continue hand over hand for a while. If I hold him high on one hand he'll rest and look around but will eventually start climbing down. He really doesn't stop until I put him back in the habitat but if I go close during the day he'll move in readiness to climb out again.

All I could think was that maybe he's outgrown the habitat. Outstretched he's about 4-5" long plus the tail additional. Looking at him, I'd think he should be good in the 16" x 16" x 30" for a while, but I was wondering if there may be some other reason he wants to get out.

IMG_20190107_133307.jpg

IMG_20190113_162701.jpg

Cage is too small and is looking for a girlfriend. Minimum cage is 2’x2’x4’.
Ugh, guess we need to look for a new habitat, if he's already outgrown then maybe even something bigger than you suggest.

Is there anything we can do to relieve his frustration other than advertising for someone who wants to breed if mating is on his mind?

From what i can see you need to add more Branches and cover so he will have places to hide when he feels scared and larger cage too. It should look like a jungle lots of places to hide, and when he feels safe he will come out.

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Definitely agree with above^ but before you start spending money can we review your entire set up so we can make sure you get the right upgrades the first time so you don’t waste any money?

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

Top Bottom