Chameleon throw up undigested bug

Golden_Eaglez7

my 13 month old male panther chameleon threw up a undigested roach after gaping, I took him into the vet on may 12 and he tested positive for flagellates (parasites), could this be a sign. They are still in him after giving him medication.

my 13 month old male panther chameleon threw up a undigested roach after gaping, I took him into the vet on may 12 and he tested positive for flagellates (parasites), could this be a sign. They are still in him after giving him medication.
what was the specific parasite they treated for? Flagellates is a broad term for a single celled organism.

How large was the roach? Sounds more like the roach was too big and he did not chew it up since he was gaping after eating it. Throwing it back up can happen when you feed a feeder that they have trouble getting down.

He did not eat today, yesterday he ate super worms and the day before that he ate the roaches but now he threw it up.
Then that is not normal... Have you done a husbandry review? Can you call the vet and find out what the exact parasite type was that they found?

IF you fill this out we can provide more feedback

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
OK how do you feed? Throwing up a roach 2 days after and eating something in-between seem impossible from a digestive anatomical point. Is it possible he found a loose roach in his cage that he ate? I know when I break down cages I always find a few roaches even though I cup feed.

What medication are you giving him for the parasites?
How long have you had the chameleon?
Can you post some photos please?

Didn't/don't you have a female as well?

Back
Top Bottom