Chameleon Tank Help

Collin36

So I got a hold of a exo terra 36x18x38 tank, which has their screened top, and vent strip at the front of the tank. And I've been researching chameleons for over 3 months now. I haven't purchased one yet as I am still working on the tank setup. I read all over the place that chameleons need ventilation, and tanks are NO NOs. However, I have constructed 2 fans that circulate air throw 2 PVC pipes that come throw the top of the tank and direct air towards the center of the tank from both left and right side of the tank. now the pipes are covered behind the background at which I've created through ABG/titbond mix. I just want some opinions on this plan, because I want to get a veiled chameleon to put inside of it. I know they get big, and in my opinion the tanks dimensions are too small for a full size chameleon. Once he starts getting bigger, I want to make a wall enclosure that's about 4 times the size of the largest commercial sized screen enclosure you can buy. And once he is moved to the bigger/final enclosure of his life, I will probably put some pygmy, or crested geckos in the exo terra. But for now, will, the fans pumping circulating airflow into the tank be fine? comments, suggestions, and helpful tips wanted.

Thanks,
Colin

People use the terrariums successfully. I would not be using fans and stuff for air circulation. You may cause more harm than good by doing that. I would just set up the terrarium and not blow any kinda of air into it.

People use the terrariums successfully. I would not be using fans and stuff for air circulation. You may cause more harm than good by doing that. I would just set up the terrarium and not blow any kinda of air into it.

Well when i mean fans, im talking bout 40-100mm computer fans. But you think, I'll be fine with just the exo terra, by itself? And thank you very much for replying so hastily.

Well when i mean fans, im talking bout 40-100mm computer fans. But you think, I'll be fine with just the exo terra, by itself? And thank you very much for replying so hastily.

Is the top ventilated? If so you should be fine as long as you allow dry periods between mistings.

Exo terra terrariums are built for air ventilation to keep reptiles and amphibians that need ventilation. Its a chimney effect. Hot air rises through the top, drawing new air from the door vent. You will not need those fans. However, youre choices of chameleons will be limited. You can not house a panther or veiled in there. You'll need to stick to a smaller montane species. Are you planning on fully live planting it with hydro balls? Check out chris Anderson's big thread on this subject. Showjet also has nice terrarium. Search his stuff also!

Edit... forgot you mentioned it being temporary for the veiled :) so disgard my comment about the veileds in there

Last edited:
Your plan sounds fine, and as stated before you wont need the fans. It is fine to keep a small veiled in that terrarium until you build the larger one.

Yeah, fully live planted, and wont be using hydroballs, but a false bottom, with a tiny stream, using either monsoon or mistking for watering, and always have a big dripper ready in case there's a power outage while at work/school(bad weather day precautions)

So, much like a dart drog set up? If I were you. Id get it all set up and running for a few weeks to make sure all your water issues are good to go. Im excited to see what yiu come up with. Exoterras are my favorite designs

I have my juvenile Jackson's in the Zoomed Naturalistic, 18x18x24. Same basic design as your Exoterra, and he is is doing great so far. Sticktongue has it right in that these terrariums are made to create the chimney effect to keep air circulating. One small concern might be your proposed "tiny stream". From everything I've read water features, such as waterfalls and I presume streams/ponds, aren't recommended due to the chameleon's tendency to use them as toilets and therefore cause bacterial growth. You'll also want to make sure the tank has a chance to dry out a bit between mistings, and a water feature may not allow that. Otherwise, live planted is the way to go, and it sounds like you'll have a great setup.

So here is some pics of my project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom