Chameleon stopped useing tongue ?

Lewis

My male chameleon has stopped useing his tongue to feed so I am puttin the bugs in his mouth for him , has he just got out the habit of useing it or is there something wrong ?

There is probably something wrong...I don't think they would just stop using it for no reason. He could've scratched it on something in the cage and maybe it's infected? Can you look at it and see if it's swollen or anything?

He is a veiled chameleon , male , 1 year 10 month old roughly .
he gets handled every day because of me placing food in his mouth to make him feed but normally twice a week
i feed him locusts , crickets , wax worms and meal worms dont realy have a schedule just when he takes them , somtime he will take 10 but then other times he will only take 2 . i gut load them with fruit and veg and the cricket feed you can buy .
i supplement his feed with repti calcium and repivite with D3 3 times a week and he has liquid calcium in his water which he gets all the time .
i mist him with a bottle sprayer which he drinks directly from , he has a waterfall , a fogger and an automatic sprayer in his tank .
his droppings are brown and white with the odd bit of yellow .
His droppings are currently away getting tested for parasites .

He has a wooden cage with screen top 90x50x50cm
he has exo terra uvb and just a standard heat lamp they both get turned off at night as the room they are in is always warm .
the temperature of the basking spot is about 30c and at the bottom of the cage 20 c .
i measure them with just a thermometer i bought from a hardware store .
The humidity is normally about 70%
I measure that with an exo terra hydrometer ( but ive ordered an electronic one)
I have some live plants and some false the live ones are dracena plant and a spineless yucca.
The cage is about a meter and a half off the floor , not near any air vents or high traffic areas
I am in the scottish borders in the UK

I don't know if it has anything to do with the tounge but must people sugest only using D3 twice a month with your multi-V and dusting feeders with just calcium powder every day.

I believe your supplements are off. Too much vitamins and d3 can be just as harmful as too little. Reptical has d3 in it and should only be used twice a month. Every other feed he should have plain calcium dusted on feeders. Using liquid calcium in his water is not a good idea IMO. He will wash his eyes in sprayed water which needs to be just water. Waterfalls harbour bacteria. Feeders drown in them and chams poop in them. I know this from experience. Also by putting calcium in the water you cannot measure how much he is getting.:)

There are so many out there to choose from. Your repticalcium is fine. Just use it once every two weeks sparingly . Any plain calcium without d3 for everyday use. I use Komodo Cricket dust. Personally I would stop using the liquid and remove the waterfall.:)

There is probably something wrong...I don't think they would just stop using it for no reason. He could've scratched it on something in the cage and maybe it's infected? Can you look at it and see if it's swollen or anything?
His tongue does not look swollen

Back
Top Bottom