Chameleon stopped eating crickets

Bobz21697

My chameleon recently stopped eating crickets, i used to put around 8/10 large crickets in his cup and most would be gone by the end of the day, i also fed him superworms every so often, ive tried switching his staple to grasshoppers and dubia roaches, but hee still not interested, he does however take the worms, but I dont feed him them in case he gets addicted, he hasnt eaten in over a week and im getting worried, hes about 6/7 months

Heya, here's a form you can copy and paste and fill out so some of the others can maybe deduce if there's a problem.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically location

Did my best
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male veiled chameleon 6/7 months old been in my care for 2 months
Handling - once a week at least
Feeding - crickets, grasshoppers, dubias superworms usually 8/10 large crickets a day, tried him on dubias and grasshoppers but no interest, gut loaded with arcadia insect fuel with some fresh fruit and veg
Supplements - arcadia calcium promg with every feeding, reptivite every other week sticky tongue miner-all every other week
Watering - mist four times a day for a minute each
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
Fecal Description - white urate, normal consistency
Cage Info:
Cage Type - xl reptibreeze

Lighting - 100w swamp basking spot
Zoomed t5 HO linear 12%
Temperature - around 30-32 celcius
Humidity - around 50%
Plants - live plants, rubber plant, weeping fig
Placement - in my room next to my desk near a mostly open window, about 6ft tall
Location - UK

Mind posting pics of the chameleon and the enclosure as well. Especially the back legs if you can. Sometimes people don't realize they have a female veiled.

Heres yoshi and his enclosure

Attachments

• 20200824_141150.jpg
    20200824_141150.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200818_151034.jpg
    20200818_151034.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 102
Hi. All looks pretty good, although I’m not familiar with your brand of supplements. I’d change the misting to 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Make sure your humidity doesn’t go above 50% during the day. You should probably raise your uvb as 12% is quite strong. Usually 6% is the recommended. And yes, Yoshi is a handsome male.

Thank you! I shall do that, I read when researching veileds that they needed the 12% as they get more sun in the middle east, also any ideas why he's not eating the staples?

Thank you! I shall do that, I read when researching veileds that they needed the 12% and they get more sun in the middle east, also any ideas why he's not eating the staples?
Some chams are resistant to dubia. Some keepers have had to just out-stubborn their dubia resistant chams to get them to eat them. Or you could try a different type of roach. Have you tried silkworms or bsfl? Those are also good staple feeders.
3E4A4758-C89A-4DEA-B1CE-79D5253A6DE4.jpeg

I have not, ill see if I can get a hold of some, thank you! I assume by out stubborn you just mean offer them till they eat?

I'll try that thank you, ill try him on the silk worms and BSFL and try mixing in some of the other feeders to see if he'll bite, i know that they can go a while without eating, my main worry was as hes still growing, hes not getting his supplements and that hed end up with MBD or something!

Hi. All looks pretty good, although I’m not familiar with your brand of supplements. I’d change the misting to 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Make sure your humidity doesn’t go above 50% during the day. You should probably raise your uvb as 12% is quite strong. Usually 6% is the recommended. And yes, Yoshi is a handsome male.

It's just Arcadia calcium supplement with MG. John courtney smith recommends using that over regular calcium, or alternating it with Arcadia earth pro. It's a solid choice, I use it myself.

Mine has done that. They get a taste for super worms and it is over. I buy crickets and have 2 species of roaches breeding. I am like you and don't want to starve cham.

Recommended is Earthpro-A for Calcium at most feedings. Per your other supplements Is the reptivite with D3 or without and is the mineral indoor or outdoor formula?

12% is way too high. You need a 6% for the correct UVB or he will have over exposure issues. Per the heatlamp 100 watt is very strong and that sitting directly on the screen is a thermal burn risk. Temps are a bit warm as well. Should be more like 85.

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Recommended is Earthpro-A for Calcium at most feedings. Per your other supplements Is the reptivite with D3 or without and is the mineral indoor or outdoor formula?

12% is way too high. You need a 6% for the correct UVB or he will have over exposure issues. Per the heatlamp 100 watt is very strong and that sitting directly on the screen is a thermal burn risk. Temps are a bit warm as well. Should be more like 85.

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
I live in the North of the UK so its pretty cold here most of the time, a lot of people here resort to glass vivs to get the correct temperatures from what I've seen, but ive read theyre bad for chams so I got a screen cage with a stronger bulb, ive never seen him show signs he was uncomfortable with the heat, (no keeping his mouth open etc) his temps are usually around 30 c which is about 85f, reptivite is without d3 and miner-all is indoor i bought the supplements as part of a pack recommended for chameleons on Internet reptile

https://www.internetreptile.com/chameleon-supplement-starter-pack/

I live in the North of the UK so its pretty cold here most of the time, a lot of people here resort to glass vivs to get the correct temperatures from what I've seen, but ive read theyre bad for chams so I got a screen cage with a stronger bulb, ive never seen him show signs he was uncomfortable with the heat, (no keeping his mouth open etc) his temps are usually around 30 c which is about 85f, reptivite is without d3 and miner-all is indoor i bought the supplements as part of a pack recommended for chameleons on Internet reptile

https://www.internetreptile.com/chameleon-supplement-starter-pack/
Correct just be extremely cautious as thermal burns happen fast and has he gets bigger he will be even closer to that light bulb. The 100 watt as I said sitting on the cage poses a high thermal burn risk.

So the starter pack is fine. In the US the info that we use comes from that link I gave you. the Earthpro A. The calcium Mg is similar as it is a calcium without D3. Your mineral has D3. and the rotation you currently have your supplements on is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom