Chameleon still doesn’t trust me

skyguy2000sb

I got an 10-11 month old female veiled chameleon, and I’ve had her almost 2 months now and she doesn’t even trust my hand in her cage, she either runs or hisses at me. And she is in healthy condition, so I’m not sure on what I could do or if I should wait it out?

This is not uncommon with Chams. You can build trust by associating your hand with food. So hold a feeder between your fingers staying very still and see if she will take it. She may warm up to you or may always be more on the defense. They are all very different with their personalities but veiled can be more shy and aggressive at times.

This is not uncommon with Chams. You can build trust by associating your hand with food. So hold a feeder between your fingers staying very still and see if she will take it. She may warm up to you or may always be more on the defense. They are all very different with their personalities but veiled can be more shy and aggressive at times.

The food thing might be a bit hard cuz my hands are super shaky, but I will still try to do the hand feeding. Thanks for the input!

I've been working with my male veiled for 2 years and he still tries to kill me. Been over a year since the last time I was able to handle him on his terms. Veiled are known to be more defensive which is why a lot of keepers say they are a "look, don't touch" pet...

Keep trying to build that trust.

They say when building trust, make sure move slowly around them and try to not make eye contact so that they do not feel threatened. Even when attempting to hand feed, it is better for you to look at the feeder and not at them. Looking and staring at them makes them nervous and they will NOT take their eyes off of your eyes to think about a feeder until they see you are not looking at them. A day at a time.

My panther male, now 7 months old, had him for 3.5 months, still will not let me hold him. I've had him out around 5 times, 2 of which he snuck out when I left his cage door open, 3 times by having a feeder on my forearm that he couldn't reach so he walked out onto me. Once I had him out and he realized it., he became a little frantic so I put him back.

I always put my hand in his cage and feed him superworms by hand, trying to build trust/confidence. I try to look the other way and not look at him, but I need to put more effort into this. At times he will roll sideways on his branch when my hand is near, other times he is fine and I can put my hand under his body and he will grab my finger with his hand(s). Occasionally if hes in a bad mood he will puff up and hiss, but I just keep my hand there, backing off only slightly and temporarily. I try not to give in to that because then he will just do it all the time to make me go away. I'm starting to feel like he's all bark and no bite. There are plenty of opportunities he could have bit me when I stayed near him all puffed up.

They say when building trust, make sure move slowly around them and try to not make eye contact so that they do not feel threatened. Even when attempting to hand feed, it is better for you to look at the feeder and not at them. Looking and staring at them makes them nervous and they will NOT take their eyes off of your eyes to think about a feeder until they see you are not looking at them. A day at a time.
You got a special Matt handled and loved baby though lol

I've been working with my male veiled for 2 years and he still tries to kill me. Been over a year since the last time I was able to handle him on his terms. Veiled are known to be more defensive which is why a lot of keepers say they are a "look, don't touch" pet...

LOL @ still tries to kill me :p

Thanks for the insight, I will try

I kinda figured that out not too long ago, but wasn’t sure. Thanks.

My panther male, now 7 months old, had him for 3.5 months, still will not let me hold him. I've had him out around 5 times, 2 of which he snuck out when I left his cage door open, 3 times by having a feeder on my forearm that he couldn't reach so he walked out onto me. Once I had him out and he realized it., he became a little frantic so I put him back.

I always put my hand in his cage and feed him superworms by hand, trying to build trust/confidence. I try to look the other way and not look at him, but I need to put more effort into this. At times he will roll sideways on his branch when my hand is near, other times he is fine and I can put my hand under his body and he will grab my finger with his hand(s). Occasionally if hes in a bad mood he will puff up and hiss, but I just keep my hand there, backing off only slightly and temporarily. I try not to give in to that because then he will just do it all the time to make me go away. I'm starting to feel like he's all bark and no bite. There are plenty of opportunities he could have bit me when I stayed near him all puffed up.

Mine usually puffs up and hisses or gets in a running position the moment I start to feed her, and as my hands are really shaky, it’s hard to hand feed. I’ve held her once and it was when I first got her, everything else has been a slight pet on the tail or foot. She seems like she is all bark but I’m afraid to stress her out. Thanks for the advice.

Mine usually puffs up and hisses or gets in a running position the moment I start to feed her, and as my hands are really shaky, it’s hard to hand feed. I’ve held her once and it was when I first got her, everything else has been a slight pet on the tail or foot. She seems like she is all bark but I’m afraid to stress her out. Thanks for the advice.
How about putting a silkworm or hormworm on your forearm? These move slowly so it may be easier.

I'd just be patient and dont give up. Your cham and my cham might just take some maturing and trust building, eventually they may come around. If not, still fun to watch. If you cant hold stuff, maybe put a silkworm or hornworm on your forearm/

How about putting a silkworm or hormworm on your forearm? These move slowly so it may be easier.

I'd just be patient and dont give up. Your cham and my cham might just take some maturing and trust building, eventually they may come around. If not, still fun to watch. If you cant hold stuff, maybe put a silkworm or hornworm on your forearm/

I’ll try that. All I have are mealworms and they bite so I’ll have to wait haha. But thanks

I’ll try that. All I have are mealworms and they bite so I’ll have to wait haha. But thanks
7FECEA11-B32C-4500-8091-FAC9F8589B6A.jpeg

I got an 10-11 month old female veiled chameleon, and I’ve had her almost 2 months now and she doesn’t even trust my hand in her cage, she either runs or hisses at me. And she is in healthy condition, so I’m not sure on what I could do or if I should wait it out?
my cham has never bit or attacked me and is very chill in nature sadly if i try to pick her up she will wiggle and she hates me so dont expect any love but what ive learned about gaining atleast some trust to the point where she wont freak out if you stick your hand in her cage is to be slow, gentle, and dont be rough mine just had a shower and if i touch her she bends back as far as possible and also sorry for making this so long :)

though she was cuter when i first got her ? she would always walk right up to me when i saw her at the store and even though i know getting pets from a store is bad a just could not resist

this is her now
1588789051158.png

Back
Top Bottom