Chameleon Species Database 1.5

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
CSD 1.5
Chameleon Species Database

Welcome to version 1.5 of the Chameleon Species Database. This is a major upgrade, and I'm looking forward to introducing the new experience feature to everyone, but before doing so I want to briefly review the original core features. Version 1 introduced two main features. The first is a powerful taxa node management system used to model the chameleon taxonomy tree described by scientists. This gives administrators the ability to add, edit, move, merge and delete taxa while retaining all applicable data. The system is prepared to deal with both simple and major structural changes to chameleon taxonomy. The second main feature builds upon the first and introduces a species profile management system. All species have their own profile page and this is what truly forms the core of our Chameleon Species Database. The design and interface for the profile pages will be improved over time.

profile-experince-list-link.png

Version 1.5 introduces a third main feature, member experience. This is a significant upgrade that integrates the species and member databases. Members can now document and share their own experience with a particular species by creating an Experience Record. Experience records contain three main sections: captive experience, breeding experience and field experience. Members are limited to one record per species but have the ability to modify and update their records at any time. To make it easy for the community to browse experience records for specific species, each species profile page now has an associated Experience List. These lists are sortable and contain filter options.

experience-list1.png
Above: Experience list page for Panther Chameleons.

experience-record.jpg
Above: A member's experience record for Panther Chameleons

experience-member-profile1.jpg
Above: Experience tab on a member's profile page

experience-trophy1.png

Trophies! We also integrated the new experience feature with our trophy system.

-----
Note
Currently, only established members have the ability to create experience records.

Feeback and Suggestions
The design and feature set for the species database, and its experience feature pages, will be improved over time. To help with those efforts we hope the community will offer suggestions and feedback.

Development Group
I created a development group back in April to explore the experience project idea and I can't thank them enough. Without their help and patience this idea today would likely still be a napkin sketch. Together we talked in great detail about the options and how best to put all the pieces together. The project grew in scope very quickly, and took much more time to development than I originally planned , but overall the result far exceeds what I could have achieved alone.
Big thanks to @JacksJill, @jamest0o0, @kinyonga and @Motherlode Chameleon.

This is great news that the Chameleon Forums species database is finally up and going. I am glad I could help all that I could. Brad you put a lot of hours developing this resource. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make this happen. I am highly anticipating participating farther in this species database.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom