chameleon smoothie

Laragail

So- I was in the midst of making my usual morning smoothie, when I had an idea.

If veiled chameleons like to eat veggies, and they will eat baby food, why not make them a smoothie?

I don't want to do this in my good blender, so I haven't tried it yet, but here's the idea:

- throw some chameleon friendly veggies in the blender -- mix in a few hissing cockroaches, crickets, etc. - Then blend until its about the consistency of baby food- and put some on the leaves for him to lap up.

do you think he would like it?

it seems like you could make it really nutritious.

anyone see any problem with this idea?

Laragail,

Goodness, you must have a lot of time on your hands :) .
There would be nothing technically wrong with this idea and it's actually
practiced for force feeding with a syringe if needed (ie: ill cham/ won't eat, etc.)
However, for a perfectly healthy animal who is eating well, I don't see a reason to do this. These animals enjoy hunting and prefer live prey so getting them to "lap it up"....I don't know if that would happen.
I think your time would be better spent culturing new varieties of insects to offer.
I actually applaud your thinking about balanced nutrition for your animal and would never discourage experimentation or new ideas provided they fall in a range of feasibility.
I don't know about the "smoothie" ... I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it ...let us know if you do.

-Brad

I have to add that the blender seems a particularly horrible way for a beautiful hissing roach to meet it's demise! :eek:

-Brad

I have to add that the blender seems a particularly horrible way for a beautiful hissing roach to meet it's demise!

ewww... and I would hate to later find something untoward floating in my vodka and frozen orange.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I echo Brad’s response. I think your time is better spent elsewhere in this hobby and I think it’s great that you are trying to be creative and put more time into making your critter happy. The “cham smoothy” may also just make a mess of the plants and promote mold/bacteria. Adding more to the feeder department sounds like a good idea.

-roo

Make sure you use a dishwasher safe blender.... And wash it 3 times before making your own smoothie.

haha yeah it is a pretty disturbing image now that I think about it....

I was thinking it would be more of a treat then a Regular meal. -- If he actually likes it

Someday when I find a old blender for cheap i'll try it out- and let you all know what happens.

I have been doing something similar for my feeders. Blending several vegatables/fruits together and then turning them into squares with gelatin. The stuff stays good for awhile too.

I have been doing something similar for my feeders. Blending several vegatables/fruits together and then turning them into squares with gelatin. The stuff stays good for awhile too.

I like this technique, I do something similar for my piranhas.

Can you give me a recipe for a feeder that you use? Do you freeze it and defrost as you go or keep refrigerated?

Back
Top Bottom