Chameleon sleeping

Anisa.corp

Established Member
my chameleon has been falling asleep before his lights go off nothing super bad but his lights go on and off at 9 and he falls asleep at like 8, is that to long should I turn them off sooner or is there something wrong with him?

my chameleon has been falling asleep before his lights go off nothing super bad but his lights go on and off at 9 and he falls asleep at like 8, is that to long should I turn them off sooner or is there something wrong with him?
What time do you have lights going on?

Unless you're trying to match what the sun is doing in your area, the 12 on/12 off cycle should be fine, but as pointed out, you may have it... offset a bit. I have a bearded dragon that's doing the same thing—going to sleep a little earlier than his lights go off. I noticed today that they're on a little longer than the sun is up, and it's time to shorten them back to 12 & 12, so I think that will likely solve the problem.

There's also a chance mine is beginning to—or thinking about(?)—brumating. Time will tell.

How's his appetite & digestion (poop)?

Well I’m not an expert, and I have a cham and he will start to get ready for bed in his spot about an hour before bed.
I watched this video that @Gingero made about sleep 101 and it helped clear a lot of my questions up. Check it out.

I am guessing your room is getting lighter before 9am and he is all ready waking up from the natural light.... I would kick them off at 8pm.
Thank you that actually makes a lot of sense ill just put the blinds down when he goes to sleep

Also he has still been wanting to come out of his cage a lot even after I changed it up is there anything else I can do to make him stop

Thank you that actually makes a lot of sense ill just put the blinds down when he goes to sleep

Also he has still been wanting to come out of his cage a lot even after I changed it up is there anything else I can do to make him stop
They do this for a few reasons... Not happy with the cage. Or they are used to being taken out and going somewhere else they enjoy like a free range or outdoor enclosure or just patrolling their "area"
You have not had him long correct? This is the one you got as an adult? I think I am remembering correctly lol. Can you post a pic of the entire cage for me?

They do this for a few reasons... Not happy with the cage. Or they are used to being taken out and going somewhere else they enjoy like a free range or outdoor enclosure or just patrolling their "area"
You have not had him long correct? This is the one you got as an adult? I think I am remembering correctly lol. Can you post a pic of the entire cage for me?
Yes I just got him and the guy said he was 2.5 years old in this pictures he's on the screen wanting to come out (I assume thats what he wants) I've been taking him outside and we are building him a outside enclosure

Attachments

• 15985404689315917136932465942405.jpg
    15985404689315917136932465942405.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 127
Make him stop wanting to come out?
OTTOMH, you'd need to incentivize him to stay in there. That's doable, but then what happens when you want him to come out? Tricky balance. Since I may be faced with this myself, I'll have to give it some thought... :unsure:

Yes I just got him and the guy said he was 2.5 years old in this pictures he's on the screen wanting to come out (I assume thats what he wants) I've been taking him outside and we are building him a outside enclosure
Might try adding another plant to that cage.... So this is the fine line... Beman will do this and screen climb consistently to go outside. On nice days this is not a problem. He spends many hours outside when the weather is perfect. He loves it and he does not like coming back in. But on days when the weather sucks he is relentless constantly screen climbing. lol Then I have Bane he is not really up for me handling him at all. He is quite content in his heavily planted huge cage. Does not screen climb at all.
When it is a situation of wanting out because they are used to going to another spot they understand that they can get moved by doing these things. Honestly there is no way to fix it IMO. I actually had to put plastic garden fencing on Beman's front door because he was doing it so much and could not fully grip the screen. So we make accommodations for them to deal with the outcome of us teaching them that they get to come out. lol

Might try adding another plant to that cage.... So this is the fine line... Beman will do this and screen climb consistently to go outside. On nice days this is not a problem. He spends many hours outside when the weather is perfect. He loves it and he does not like coming back in. But on days when the weather sucks he is relentless constantly screen climbing. lol Then I have Bane he is not really up for me handling him at all. He is quite content in his heavily planted huge cage. Does not screen climb at all.
When it is a situation of wanting out because they are used to going to another spot they understand that they can get moved by doing these things. Honestly there is no way to fix it IMO. I actually had to put plastic garden fencing on Beman's front door because he was doing it so much and could not fully grip the screen. So we make accommodations for them to deal with the outcome of us teaching them that they get to come out. lol
Well atleast I know I'm not the only one with this problem lol

Well atleast I know I'm not the only one with this problem lol
No, I created a monster. :hilarious: I am in the process of trying to figure out how to deal with this for winter. He will not be able to go outside the way he does now because the temps will be a bit lower then I prefer for him. His outside time is the only thing that settles him lol.

No, I created a monster. :hilarious: I am in the process of trying to figure out how to deal with this for winter. He will not be able to go outside the way he does now because the temps will be a bit lower then I prefer for him. His outside time is the only thing that settles him lol.
I'm going to have to deal with winter pretty soon to hes not gonna be to happy about not going outside hes just relentless

I'm going to have to deal with winter pretty soon to hes not gonna be to happy about not going outside hes just relentless
I am toying with the idea of building a very large indoor enclosure for Beman..... Still working on the mental pieces of my idea though lol.

Back
Top Bottom