Chameleon sleeping on thermometer

fshelton2002

Does anyone else's chameleon like sleeping on their thermometer? Mine like to sleep on it every night and I'm worried about it falling while he's sleeping as he's gaining weight and getting bigger.
Screenshot_20230525_175254_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230525_174744_Gallery.jpg

I would add some more plants he doesn't have many places to hide, I would also add some more branches as well.
I did order some more, that should be here tomorrow, he used to just sleep on his branch and he has fallen off of one of his thermometers (it was smaller). Hopefully it will help. He also got a broken leg and on pain medicine so he isn't as stable as he normally is.

That your handsome little guy has fallen and broken a leg and looking at his enclosure, I am really going to urge for you to do a full husbandry review. I know how difficult it is to find the correct care information for chameleons and I am believing that you’re following some bad info. We’d love to help you get everything perfect so that your little beauty stays healthy and happy for many years with you. Just answer these questions (copy & paste) in as much detail as you can. Sometimes it helps to just take pics of your lighting and supplements too. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

That your handsome little guy has fallen and broken a leg and looking at his enclosure, I am really going to urge for you to do a full husbandry review. I know how difficult it is to find the correct care information for chameleons and I am believing that you’re following some bad info. We’d love to help you get everything perfect so that your little beauty stays healthy and happy for many years with you. Just answer these questions (copy & paste) in as much detail as you can. Sometimes it helps to just take pics of your lighting and supplements too. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Veiled chameleon, male, 7-8 months old, I've had him for 3, almost 4 months.
I have to give him medicine 2 times a day right now because he got attacked by a cat and broke a leg.
Crickets 8-10 a day, meal worms 10 medium a day. I give them in the morning around 10-11am in separate dishes. I put the gut loading supplements into their tank
Zoo med
Dripper and I mist a couple times a day for a minute. Yes
Brown and white, and no

Cage Info:
Glass 12x12x18, im planning to get a hybrid cage because I got him an all screen cage and i dont think it was built very good and he got hurt.
Double light with one uvb light and a heat light. Turn on at 9:30am and off at 9pm
85-70 degrees (cage floor is around 70 degrees). 70-65 degrees overnight. Thermometer
65-70%. Misting. My Thermometer measure it
Spider plant and fake plants right now
In my living room. No. 3-4 feet above the floor
Kansas
Screenshot_20230525_183301_Gallery.jpg

I’ll be putting my feedback in bold. :) I talk a lot, so will split this into 2 parts.
I have to give him medicine 2 times a day right now because he got attacked by a cat and broke a leg. Yikes! How did the cat get to him?
Crickets 8-10 a day, meal worms 10 medium a day. I give them in the morning around 10-11am in separate dishes. I put the gut loading supplements into their tank Mealworms aren’t good for being a staple feeder. Attaching a couple of graphics below for you. The 8-10 crickets/ staple feeders daily in the morning is very good. Instead of mealworms though, you could give a few bsfl (calci worms, Phoenix worms) which are healthier. In a few months you’ll be needing to reduce how much and how often he is fed so that he doesn’t become obese. By the time he’s around 11-12 months or so, you should be feeding him 3 feeders, every other day or even 3 days a week. Giving a variety of feeders is best. Some online venders sell variety packs, which are great ideas if you have only one insect eater.
You don’t say what you are feeding your bugs. The orange cubes and jelly pots and those things aren’t really nutritious for your bugs. The healthier your bugs are fed, the healthier your chameleon will be fed. I give scraps of fresh produce along with just a bit of Repashy Bug Burger. I keep my bugs fed all the time, so don’t need to specifically gut load.

Zoo med That’s the brand, but what exactly is the supplement? Is it calcium with D3, calcium without D3 or a multivitamin? How often are you using it? Having the right supplements and the right schedule is essential.
Dripper and I mist a couple times a day for a minute. Yes Try misting instead for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. Maybe give a 1 minute misting mid day if you think he needs it.
Brown and white, and no Since you’ve already taken him to a vet recently, call and ask about dropping off a fresh poo to be tested.
To be continued….

IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

Part 2
Cage Info:

Glass 12x12x18, Way way too small! He needs at least a 2x2x4’ enclosure months ago! im planning to get a hybrid cage because I got him an all screen cage and i dont think it was built very good and he got hurt. What happened? What brand of enclosure was it? We may be able to help you fix it up to make it cat proof.
Double light with one uvb light and a heat light. Turn on at 9:30am and off at 9pm By double light I have to assume you mean a double dome and your uvb is a screw in bulb. This type of uvb isn’t able to give your guy any uvb unless he’s 2-3” below, and then he’s close enough for his basking bulb to burn him. You need a linear T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. Then he can have his basking area around 8-9” below his lights. Correct uvb is also essential.
85-70 degrees (cage floor is around 70 degrees). 70-65 degrees overnight. Thermometer 85 is a great basking temp for him. Try to not let it get any higher. The night temp drop is perfect!
65-70%. Misting. My Thermometer measure it Too humid and puts him at increased risk for a respiratory infection. During the day you want in the range of 30-50%. Since you have a great temp drop at night, you can boost night humidity all the way up to simulate the natural hydration they get from fog.
Spider plant and fake plants right now Fake plants are dangerous for veileds. Veileds like to nibble/eat their plants and it only takes one bite to cause a serious and potentially fatal bowel obstruction.
In my living room. No. 3-4 feet above the floor Height is safety for chams. I’m only 5’ tall but I have the floor of my enclosures at my waist height.
I’ve got to run off for a bit but will be back. :)

I’ll be putting my feedback in bold. :) I talk a lot, so will split this into 2 parts.
I have to give him medicine 2 times a day right now because he got attacked by a cat and broke a leg. Yikes! How did the cat get to him?
Crickets 8-10 a day, meal worms 10 medium a day. I give them in the morning around 10-11am in separate dishes. I put the gut loading supplements into their tank Mealworms aren’t good for being a staple feeder. Attaching a couple of graphics below for you. The 8-10 crickets/ staple feeders daily in the morning is very good. Instead of mealworms though, you could give a few bsfl (calci worms, Phoenix worms) which are healthier. In a few months you’ll be needing to reduce how much and how often he is fed so that he doesn’t become obese. By the time he’s around 11-12 months or so, you should be feeding him 3 feeders, every other day or even 3 days a week. Giving a variety of feeders is best. Some online venders sell variety packs, which are great ideas if you have only one insect eater.
You don’t say what you are feeding your bugs. The orange cubes and jelly pots and those things aren’t really nutritious for your bugs. The healthier your bugs are fed, the healthier your chameleon will be fed. I give scraps of fresh produce along with just a bit of Repashy Bug Burger. I keep my bugs fed all the time, so don’t need to specifically gut load.

Zoo med That’s the brand, but what exactly is the supplement? Is it calcium with D3, calcium without D3 or a multivitamin? How often are you using it? Having the right supplements and the right schedule is essential.
Dripper and I mist a couple times a day for a minute. Yes Try misting instead for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. Maybe give a 1 minute misting mid day if you think he needs it.
Brown and white, and no Since you’ve already taken him to a vet recently, call and ask about dropping off a fresh poo to be tested.
To be continued….

View attachment 338798View attachment 338799
The cat got him due to the screened tank, it looked like they just fell through the top because nothing else was messed up. With the gut-loading crickets, I am using what the vet recommended (I'm not sure what it is called)
I use a multivitamin with D3 in it. 1 cricket dusted in it daily. That's what the directions say to do.

Part 2
Cage Info:

Glass 12x12x18, Way way too small! He needs at least a 2x2x4’ enclosure months ago! im planning to get a hybrid cage because I got him an all screen cage and i dont think it was built very good and he got hurt. What happened? What brand of enclosure was it? We may be able to help you fix it up to make it cat proof.
Double light with one uvb light and a heat light. Turn on at 9:30am and off at 9pm By double light I have to assume you mean a double dome and your uvb is a screw in bulb. This type of uvb isn’t able to give your guy any uvb unless he’s 2-3” below, and then he’s close enough for his basking bulb to burn him. You need a linear T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. Then he can have his basking area around 8-9” below his lights. Correct uvb is also essential.
85-70 degrees (cage floor is around 70 degrees). 70-65 degrees overnight. Thermometer 85 is a great basking temp for him. Try to not let it get any higher. The night temp drop is perfect!
65-70%. Misting. My Thermometer measure it Too humid and puts him at increased risk for a respiratory infection. During the day you want in the range of 30-50%. Since you have a great temp drop at night, you can boost night humidity all the way up to simulate the natural hydration they get from fog.
Spider plant and fake plants right now Fake plants are dangerous for veileds. Veileds like to nibble/eat their plants and it only takes one bite to cause a serious and potentially fatal bowel obstruction.
In my living room. No. 3-4 feet above the floor Height is safety for chams. I’m only 5’ tall but I have the floor of my enclosures at my waist height.
I’ve got to run off for a bit but will be back. :)
I just got what was recommended when I got him and I got the zoo med repti breeze 16"x16"x30"
High humidity was also recommended, I will change that tho.
I am trying to replace all of the plastic plants, but I'm having a hard time with finding plants that are safe for them and then hanging them in the tank somehow
Thank you so much for your tips, I will for sure be changing things.

The cat got him due to the screened tank, it looked like they just fell through the top because nothing else was messed up. With the gut-loading crickets, I am using what the vet recommended (I'm not sure what it is called)
I use a multivitamin with D3 in it. 1 cricket dusted in it daily. That's what the directions say to do.
I have cats too, although mine are pretty much old and lazy. I still don’t trust them though. Having the XL 2x2x4’ enclosure top being up so high and not having the enclosures near anything that the cats can get close is necessary. Also, having a lot of plants inside the enclosure and I also attach my fake plants to the outside of the door also help by shielding my chameleons from view of the cats. Attaching a shower curtain around the sides and back is something many people due regardless of having cats and that too blocks views. Very few enclosure tops will be able to handle the weight of a determined cat. Zen has a pretty sturdy top. https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&sort_by=manual I have one for my beardie and it held the weight of a small curious cat. We can help you come up with other ways to help keep your guy safe as needed. The main thing is he desperately needs a bigger enclosure. A good budget screen enclosure is https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage. The price is close to that of ReptiBreeze, but the enclosure is a bit sturdier. I just took apart some ReptiBreezes I was using and they pretty much fell apart in my hands.
Disregard the instructions on your supplement and (I hate to say), some of what your vet advises for care guidelines. Most exotics vets have very old or limited info on current care standards for chameleons. You need to get a phosphorus free calcium without D3. You need to lightly dust all of the feeders you’re giving at every feeding with this. You don‘t want them to look like powdered donuts. Then for one feeding every other week you’ll lightly dust all of the feeders you’re giving with the what I’m going to assume is ReptiVite with D3. This is an awesome supplement schedule and will keep your guy healthy.
This plus having the correct uvb lighting is essential to him staying strong and healthy.
I provided a link in your other post about plants. I’ve gotten and tried a lot of different types of plants for my chameleons, but the one plant that rules over all others is pothos. Lots of the other plants will need a special plant light. You can get something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It’s perfect in the side of the double dome light where you had the uvb bulb. It’s not strong enough for plants like hibiscus though.
To attach branches and even plants to a screen enclosure, nothing beats https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ If you have a decent budget to work with, you might even want to think about a Dragon Strand enclosure. They are very nice! If you’re super lucky, you might be able to find a gently used one on places like Facebook marketplace.
Do ask as many questions as you need. We all started at the beginning and enjoy helping others and their chameleons. :) A great place to learn that is one of the very few trustworthy sources ishttps://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ If you like video instead, try Neptune the chameleon and Chameleon Academy on YouTube.

I have cats too, although mine are pretty much old and lazy. I still don’t trust them though. Having the XL 2x2x4’ enclosure top being up so high and not having the enclosures near anything that the cats can get close is necessary. Also, having a lot of plants inside the enclosure and I also attach my fake plants to the outside of the door also help by shielding my chameleons from view of the cats. Attaching a shower curtain around the sides and back is something many people due regardless of having cats and that too blocks views. Very few enclosure tops will be able to handle the weight of a determined cat. Zen has a pretty sturdy top. https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/zen-habitats-reptile-enclosures?filter.p.m.my_fields.sizes=2'x2'x4'+/+120+gal&filter.p.m.my_fields.sizes=4'x2'x4'+/+240+gal&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&sort_by=manual I have one for my beardie and it held the weight of a small curious cat. We can help you come up with other ways to help keep your guy safe as needed. The main thing is he desperately needs a bigger enclosure. A good budget screen enclosure is https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage. The price is close to that of ReptiBreeze, but the enclosure is a bit sturdier. I just took apart some ReptiBreezes I was using and they pretty much fell apart in my hands.
Disregard the instructions on your supplement and (I hate to say), some of what your vet advises for care guidelines. Most exotics vets have very old or limited info on current care standards for chameleons. You need to get a phosphorus free calcium without D3. You need to lightly dust all of the feeders you’re giving at every feeding with this. You don‘t want them to look like powdered donuts. Then for one feeding every other week you’ll lightly dust all of the feeders you’re giving with the what I’m going to assume is ReptiVite with D3. This is an awesome supplement schedule and will keep your guy healthy.
This plus having the correct uvb lighting is essential to him staying strong and healthy.
I provided a link in your other post about plants. I’ve gotten and tried a lot of different types of plants for my chameleons, but the one plant that rules over all others is pothos. Lots of the other plants will need a special plant light. You can get something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It’s perfect in the side of the double dome light where you had the uvb bulb. It’s not strong enough for plants like hibiscus though.
To attach branches and even plants to a screen enclosure, nothing beats https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ If you have a decent budget to work with, you might even want to think about a Dragon Strand enclosure. They are very nice! If you’re super lucky, you might be able to find a gently used one on places like Facebook marketplace.
Do ask as many questions as you need. We all started at the beginning and enjoy helping others and their chameleons. :) A great place to learn that is one of the very few trustworthy sources ishttps://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ If you like video instead, try Neptune the chameleon and Chameleon Academy on YouTube.
Thank you so much for all your advice, I will definitely be changing some things. I will for sure need to get help with cat proofing his tank 🙂

I have cats too, although mine are pretty much old and lazy. I still don’t trust them though. Having the XL 2x2x4’ enclosure top being up so high and not having the enclosures near anything that the cats can get close is necessary. Also, having a lot of plants inside the enclosure and I also attach my fake plants to the outside of the door also help by shielding my chameleons from view of the cats. Attaching a shower curtain around the sides and back is something many people due regardless of having cats and that too blocks views. Very few enclosure tops will be able to handle the weight of a determined cat. Zen has a pretty sturdy top. https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/zen-habitats-reptile-enclosures?filter.p.m.my_fields.sizes=2'x2'x4'+/+120+gal&filter.p.m.my_fields.sizes=4'x2'x4'+/+240+gal&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&sort_by=manual I have one for my beardie and it held the weight of a small curious cat. We can help you come up with other ways to help keep your guy safe as needed. The main thing is he desperately needs a bigger enclosure. A good budget screen enclosure is https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage. The price is close to that of ReptiBreeze, but the enclosure is a bit sturdier. I just took apart some ReptiBreezes I was using and they pretty much fell apart in my hands.
Also is any kind of pothos okay?

Back
Top Bottom