Chameleon sleeping near bottom of cage

Crickity

Hell guys! So I have a question, I just got a veiled chameleon 4 days ago and he’s been really good so far! I notice when I got home from work today he was sleeping in a different spot from his usual spot in the upper corner of his cage on a vine. He might be hard to see in that photo but he’s just about the watcher catching bowl. Let me know guys, thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 369
Chams like to hide for security. You have no vertical or horizontal branches / twigs at top except for that 1 hangy vine which is exposed. So you are forcing your cham to hide at the bottom which they hate. They are arboreal by nature thus like height. Also, veils like to chew; I'd substitute all the fake stuff for 'real' vegetation.

Ok, I’m going to get a real plant and sticks for him at Home Depot today thank you for the info! How would you put sticks/foliage at the top of a screen cage?

Hi and welcome. :) I see from your pic that you will be needing some upgrades. Your enclosure will be much too small for an adult chameleon. You’ll be needing to get a 2x2x4’ or equivalent. You also need the correct uvb. You appear to have the coil screw in bulb. Unfortunately that isn’t able to provide adequate uvb levels. You’ll need a T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or Arcadia brand 6% uvb bulb. I wonder about the rest of your husbandry. The majority of pet stores give bad advice on keeping chams and I’m sure you are already in love with your scaly baby and want it to stay healthy. If you’d like someone to review your husbandry, go to ‘how to ask for help’ under the health tab in forums. Copy, paste and post and someone will help you out.:)

Thank you guys for all the info! I got him a huge plant to hide in and some more vines and and sticks+ a mister :) is his cage big enough for his size now? He’s 5 months old

It’s ok, but I would start working on another larger cage now... Males start to hit puberty around 6 months and he will be doing more screen climbing if it’s too small. I started all my 3 month olds in 2x2x4 and larger. It’s always an adjustment moving cages as well once they get use to the old one. So better now than later IMO.

Ok I’ll buy a larger cage! Ps is this normal for him to sleep? He usually goes to bed around 9 I just got home and turned his lights off, don’t worry I’m buying real plants for him tomorrow morning the one I did get was too big

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 132
Ok I’ll buy a larger cage! Ps is this normal for him to sleep? He usually goes to bed around 9 I just got home and turned his lights off, don’t worry I’m buying real plants for him tomorrow morning the one I did get was too big
You may want to get a timer for the lights. There like 10 bucks on amazon. It’s helpful so they have a light cycle.

Yes that’s normal, sometimes they sleep in different spots.

Yes is normal.

You may want to get a timer for the lights. There like 10 bucks on amazon. It’s helpful so they have a light cycle.

Good advice. Timers help keep them on a good light cycle.

My two cents: horizontal branches or vines closer to the lights. Important to let Chameleon control amount of exposure he wants to have for heat (temp gradient) and UVB. UVB light is only effective when chameleon is very close to the light. :)

My two cents: horizontal branches or vines closer to the lights. Important to let Chameleon control amount of exposure he wants to have for heat (temp gradient) and UVB. UVB light is only effective when chameleon is very close to the light. :)
It does depend what uvb bulb and fixture it is specifically though to get the safe uv levels, while still providing a gradient going down the enclosure

Also since you just got him he may sleep in a different spot every night till he finds a place he likes. My baby veiled slept in a different spot every day for the first 2 weeks i had him.

Ok thank you guys so much! I finally got a nice plant for her to sleep on and she loves it! One more question, she seemed kinda stressed lately (dark coloration) and her poop was soft and smelly, I couldn’t smell it outside her cage but when I put it close to my nose it smelt really bad. I dust her crickets with repti-calcium every day. She eats about 10-15 daily and her pee is almost fully white so she’s very hydrated. Should I be concerned?

Have you had someone review your supplements, lighting, gutloading, etc yet? If not fill this out. Dark coloration is normal for the first few days while they get used to there new environment. It can also be stressful if they don’t have the correct husbandry.

Fill out this form and post some pictures from lights down so we can help you out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive
  2. Photos can be helpful

Ok no problem!
  • My Chameleon- Veiled, female, 5 months
  • Handling- I been handing her often to add stuff to her cage and get natural sunlight, she likes to hide in my blinds and soak it all up. Should I not handle her for a couple weeks?
  • Supplements- ReptiCalcium every feeding, supplements and vitamins with d3 once every 2 weeks
  • Watering- I have a dripper and mister. I mist her 3 times a day for 30 seconds each time
  • Fecal description- soft firm turds and very white urinateShe’s very hydrated, poops about once every other day. No she’s never been tested for parasites
  • Additional info- I just moved her in about 5 days ago and her colors were fine at first now she’s been brownish/ dark green most of the day unless I put her in my window seal to soak up the heat
Cage info:
  • All screen cage, 1ft wide 2 ft high
  • Zoo med tropical uvb & heat lamp (I’m getting a t5 heat lamp soon just ordered one)
  • Temperature- basking spot is usually 82 degrees F Lowest overnight temp is 73 and I measure these temperatures with a digital thermometer
  • Plants- one large hibiscus
  • My cage is located on top of my dresser and stands 5ft 4 inches from top of cage to floor.
  • West coast. CA
I am worried about a couple of things, she’s very hydrated but her poop was smelly when I put it close to my nose because it’s usually big and dry so I was worried she got sick. She’s been dark most of the day is that normal for veiled chameleons? I usually put her on my window seal for an hour or two every other day to soak up the natural sunlight and she’s a bright green. She also ripped her back left leg nail out from climbing the screen but stopped once I put enough foliage and vines in her enclosure

Ok no problem!
  • My Chameleon- Veiled, female, 5 months
  • Handling- I been handing her often to add stuff to her cage and get natural sunlight, she likes to hide in my blinds and soak it all up. Should I not handle her for a couple weeks?
I would give her some time to settle in and get used to her new surroundings.
  • Supplements- ReptiCalcium every feeding, supplements and vitamins with d3 once every 2 weeks
I believe repticalcium is calcium without d3. Do you just have a D3 or do you also have a multivitamin?

Watering- I have a dripper and mister. I mist her 3 times a day for 30 seconds each time

Good just make sure it dries out between mistings.
  • Fecal description- soft firm turds and very white urinateShe’s very hydrated, poops about once every other day. No she’s never been tested for parasites
It’s always good to have a fecal done to make sure.
  • Additional info- I just moved her in about 5 days ago and her colors were fine at first now she’s been brownish/ dark green most of the day unless I put her in my window seal to soak up the heat
She will be dark in coloration for a little bit. She’s just adjusting.
Cage info:
  • All screen cage, 1ft wide 2 ft high
Needs to be changed ASAP
  • Zoo med tropical uvb & heat lamp (I’m getting a t5 heat lamp soon just ordered one)
  • Temperature- basking spot is usually 82 degrees F Lowest overnight temp is 73 and I measure these temperatures with a digital thermometer
  • Plants- one large hibiscus
Veileds like to eat plants. So be very careful if you have any fake plants in her enclosure.

My cage is located on top of my dresser and stands 5ft 4 inches from top of cage to floor.
  • West coast. CA
I am worried about a couple of things, she’s very hydrated but her poop was smelly when I put it close to my nose because it’s usually big and dry so I was worried she got sick. She’s been dark most of the day is that normal for veiled chameleons? I usually put her on my window seal for an hour or two every other day to soak up the natural sunlight and she’s a bright green. She also ripped her back left leg nail out from climbing the screen but stopped once I put enough foliage and vines in her enclosure

They climb the screen to just check out there surrounding and be above everything. Can you take her outside on a plant and watch her carefully? Through a window she can’t get any natural UVB. I’m not sure about the smelly poop. Usually there poop shouldn’t have a scent. As said before dark coloration is expected especially with incorrect husbandry. She will also need a lay bin soon.

Yes I have multivitamins and repti vitamins, repticalcium is what I use daily for her crickets, and I gutload them with carrots. And ok thanks! I’ll buy the reptibreeze XL and how do I do a fecal test? I’m guessing I take it to a reptile vet? And I can’t take her outside because all the fires in California right now it’s too Smokey I wouldn’t want her getting sick. And she’s 5 months when would she be ready to lay eggs? Also she’s been very dark lately Is the lamp not hot enough or is she just stressed getting use to her new environment? Thank you for all this info it’s a lot of help!

Back
Top Bottom