Chameleon sleeping during the day. I think she might be sick (Please help)

@KayleePJ Hi there hun. So you happen to have gotten an animal that requires a lot of their keeper to stay healthy...

You need the screen cage now not later and a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. This needs to run the length of your new cage. I recommend the 24 inch wide cage and I will give you the link below for it. So you want a 24 inch fixture. Right now she is not getting any UVB. This is important because with out this they are unable to create D3 in their body. Their body uses this for strong bones and multiple functions. Right now without the correct bulb her body is absorbing the D3 in her bones to try and compensate for the lack of having proper lighting. This will make it to where her bones break extremely easily and she will not be able to lay eggs when it comes time and become egg bound. So this is really important to get corrected with the new cage and supplements.
Also 100 watt bulb is producing way too much heat for her little glass enclosure. You can actually use a regular household incandescent bulb. Ask your mom she will know what it is. Try a 60 watt bulb but that still may be too warm.

Get a thermal temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=X84P1AOM03YS&keywords=temp+gun&qid=1563894098&s=gateway&sprefix=temp+gun,aps,199&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQVNaRERMNjFJMEs5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE4MjkwWlBCMDlCVllZR0o1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMDQ1MDBRU1NaTDJZQzVaQlAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
With this you can scan her body to make sure she is not too hot. She should not be any warmer then 85 degrees.

To make it more simple for a supplement you will want to get this one. Repashy Calcium plus LoD 3oz jar... https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calc...cium+plus+lod&qid=1563893976&s=gateway&sr=8-3
With this supplement it is the only one you will use and you will use it on every feeding.

To make things more simple for a gutload for your feeders get this... https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Bug-...ds=bug+burger&qid=1563894228&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Follow the directions for making it and store it in the fridge.

This is a better cage then a reptibreeze and they have very fast shipping. Tell your mom this is a have to buy thing. If she stays in the little exo terra she will develop a respiratory infection and these require a vet and antibiotics to treat. They are 24inches wide by 24inches by 48 inches tall. so 2x2x4 in feet. So it will be the cage you can use forever with her and will accommodate adding a lay bin for her.(she will lay infertile eggs like a chicken does) https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

As for everything else we can help you more when you are able to correct the cage, lighting, and supplement. But these are the things that must be done now for her to be ok. Let me know if any of this does not make sense. I have a 15 year old daughter... So I am trying to give my advice as if I were talking to my daughter. :)
All of it made sense. Me and my mom talked and are going to get the new stuff today.

Just answer the question? Why the attacks? Why dafuq people care if he gave the wrong cage dimensions? I thought I was Immature, but holy most of you just attack people. Thanks to all the ones that did help. I got nothing useful cuz everything been said. Imagine that was your 15yo son/daughter and gets attacked because he asked for help? It doesn’t make it right even if he’s 30,40,10.. All people Should be treated with respect. Especially from seasoned members. You’re the example in this Forum.
Thank you.

All of it made sense. Me and my mom talked and are going to get the new stuff today.
Let us know when you do have it all. I did not want to overwhelm you with additional information that you will need to know and learn for her. But I am happy to help you when you are ready. :)

For all of you that were asking. Here’s her new cage (it’s wire) with a dual light. And I got new supplements too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 89
For all of you that were asking. Here’s her new cage (it’s wire) with a dual light. And I got new supplements too.
Yep lights are still wrong hun you need one like this. With a 5.0 UVB bulb. Then you need to take zip ties and hook many more vines higher in her cages to where the highest vine is 7-8 inches below the heat and new uvb fixture or she still will not get the right lighting with UVB.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2605...6426&s=gateway&sprefix=t5ho+fi,aps,313&sr=8-4

Yep lights are still wrong hun you need one like this. With a 5.0 UVB bulb. Then you need to take zip ties and hook many more vines higher in her cages to where the highest vine is 7-8 inches below the heat and new uvb fixture or she still will not get the right lighting with UVB.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=160P7VDGL635D&keywords=t5ho+fixture&qid=1563916426&s=gateway&sprefix=t5ho+fi,aps,313&sr=8-4
There is a 5.0 UVB in there. And I’m also working on getting live plants. But Home Depot didn’t have the ones I was looking for.

There is a 5.0 UVB in there. And I’m also working on getting live plants. But Home Depot didn’t have the ones I was looking for.
Ok so I am going to give you a video... So you understand more about uvb lighting and why we are saying the compact bulb will not help her.

Ok so I am going to give you a video... So you understand more about uvb lighting and why we are saying the compact bulb will not help her.

I have a separate dome one that isn’t compact. But I also have another bulb in there other than the 5.0 UVB one. (Is what you’re saying is the UVB bulb is all I need?)

I have a separate dome one that isn’t compact. But I also have another bulb in there other than the 5.0 UVB one. (Is what you’re saying is the UVB bulb is all I need?)
No you have to have the heat bulb in the dome fixture but for UVB lighting (this is what keeps her healthy and alive) she has to have the t5ho fixture and the 5.0 bulb. The light disbursement is different from a compact 5.0 bulb that you screw into a dome fixture.

With the compact the area of UVB light is actually right below the bulb and then is non existent about 7 inches away from it. So she would literally need to be right on the screen and right below the bulb to get the uvb lighting. Which in turn having her that close is high risk for a severe burn.

So this is why we do not use these bulbs for chams. They are not effective. Did you watch the video?
It shows the difference. I know it is hard to understand because you see light and think it is good. But the UVB lighting we can't see with our eyes... So what you are seeing is not in fact what she is getting.

Correct. For UVB lights, you need linear. The compact 5.0 (which is what you have) will lead to a dead chameleon. Commercial pet stores don't know anything about chameleon husbandry and unfortunately sell these bulbs to people who don't know any better. It needs to be as long as the cage is wide.

Glad you got the appropriate cage. Now you just need to get to work filling it up with significantly more foliage and horizontal branches. There is currently nothing in there that would allow the cham to bask in a useful way

No you have to have the heat bulb in the dome fixture but for UVB lighting (this is what keeps her healthy and alive) she has to have the t5ho fixture and the 5.0 bulb. The light disbursement is different from a compact 5.0 bulb that you screw into a dome fixture.

With the compact the area of UVB light is actually right below the bulb and then is non existent about 7 inches away from it. So she would literally need to be right on the screen and right below the bulb to get the uvb lighting. Which in turn having her that close is high risk for a severe burn.

So this is why we do not use these bulbs for chams. They are not effective. Did you watch the video?
It shows the difference. I know it is hard to understand because you see light and think it is good. But the UVB lighting we can't see with our eyes... So what you are seeing is not in fact what she is getting.

I got the UVB bulb I was told to get by someone on here. I also have her heating bulb. so I’m a little confused still. So I need a bigger uvb bulb? It’s the 5.0 UVB but I have the smaller size.

It’s not a compact bulb. It’s a compact lighting fixture. My bulbs are separated.
Ok this is what you bought... It is a called a compact bulb. They are no good for chams... Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 2.31.42 PM.png

This is what you have to buy... The fixture is the length of the top of your cage and the bulb is too.

LF-71_ReptiSun_T5_HO_Terrarium_Hood.jpg

Back
Top Bottom