Chameleon Sleep Habits

heyooocera

Good Morning Everybody!
I am a member of a private chameleon group on facebook that for the most part is really helpful and has really good and accurate information for keepers old and new. I recently came across a post from a new chameleon owner. She posted a picture of her chameleon asleep on her. I tried explaining that her chameleon is most likely not asleep but is stressed. They absolutely started tearing me apart? I've read up a lot on this topic and i'm like 99% sure i'm not wrong about it. OP did not want to hear that but i think its good to let them know that kind of stuff to help the little ones thrive. Any input or resources on this i can send her to? She also states n the post that her chameleon is out of her enclosure about 95% of the time and i have a suspicion that has something to do with her "falling asleep" like that.

Good Morning Everybody!
I am a member of a private chameleon group on facebook that for the most part is really helpful and has really good and accurate information for keepers old and new. I recently came across a post from a new chameleon owner. She posted a picture of her chameleon asleep on her. I tried explaining that her chameleon is most likely not asleep but is stressed. They absolutely started tearing me apart? I've read up a lot on this topic and i'm like 99% sure i'm not wrong about it. OP did not want to hear that but i think its good to let them know that kind of stuff to help the little ones thrive. Any input or resources on this i can send her to? She also states n the post that her chameleon is out of her enclosure about 95% of the time and i have a suspicion that has something to do with her "falling asleep" like that.
@Beman @MissSkittles @jannb

You are correct. They can get so very stressed to the point that they just shut down. Anytime a chameleon is keeping it’s eyes closed when it is not dark/sleep time, it indicates a problem...extreme stress or illness. I’m sure Bill Strand must have done a podcast in which he talks about closing eyes. Let me go check.

You are correct. They can get so very stressed to the point that they just shut down. Anytime a chameleon is keeping it’s eyes closed when it is not dark/sleep time, it indicates a problem...extreme stress or illness. I’m sure Bill Strand must have done a podcast in which he talks about closing eyes. Let me go check.
Awesome Thank you so much. She's not willing to listen because "he doesn't turn dark so he's not stressed he just likes to take naps on me" But doesn't understand that chameleons are not like dogs or cats.. They don't do that.

Personally, I wouldn’t even try with that person. You’ve given her correct info, and that’s all you can do.
You're absolutely correct. I've muted that thread because all the info these people are giving are coddling OP instead of being helpful. The admins have been mentioned and hopefully will chime in soon. It's a mess!!

If the chameleon is out of its cage most of the time, how is it being kept warm enough or getting UVB or being able to bask? What species is the chameleon?

There is another possibility besides stress...when you take a chameleon out of its cage the surrounding area/room depending on where the person lives, etc is likely cooler than the cage and the chameleon slow down and wants to sleep.

If the chameleon is out of its cage most of the time, how is it being kept warm enough or getting UVB or being able to bask? What species is the chameleon?

There is another possibility besides stress...when you take a chameleon out of its cage the surrounding area/room depending on where the person lives, etc is likely cooler than the cage and the chameleon slow down and wants to sleep.
It's a female Veiled Chameleon.

Did you ask the girl "If the chameleon is out of its cage most of the time, how is it being kept warm enough or getting UVB or being able to bask?"

Good Morning Everybody!
I'm a little late to this conversation and I belong to that same Facebook group and I won't hold any punches here. That person was a little Sh*t and questioned the years of experience that was given to them. She wanted some documented scientific proof. Well dumba** people tried and they still chose not to listen but what will happen next is that their Cham will die and then they'll be back on Facebook crying and wondering why the hell their cham died. Well it died because you're a moron. (Yes I know, Mrjamwin doesn't ever post things like that but that Facebook poster pissed me off) Sorry for my rant.

Not sure if he specifically mentions shutting down and closing eyes, but here https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-6-chameleons-stress/
Mayhaps this is the one you were looking for... (?) ?
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior-eyes-shut/
PREPARING FOR SLEEP

There is one time where it is acceptable for your chameleon to have their eyes closed during the day. And that is when they are settling in to go to sleep. In the wild, the transition between day and night is gradual and the chameleon has the warning and time to find a good place to sleep. In captivity they must adjust to a sudden switch from day to night as the lights go out. Many chameleons adjust to the by finding their sleeping spot before the lights go out. And, yes, as long as your schedule is consistent, your chameleon will have a feel for when it is time to find their sleeping spot even though the light is still on.
If your chameleon is showing this behavior where the only time their eyes are closed during the day is the hour before the lights go out then this is nothing to worry about.

If the person on FB has a brightly lit enclosure, I suppose that in taking her chameleon out, the cham may react to the decreased amount of light as described above. I have no idea the likelihood of this.

Back
Top Bottom