Chameleon sitting at the top of vivarium??

Ok I am going to add in red... :)

Okay I have so much to work on. Thank you so much for the replies, it was a lot of information but Jellal deserves the best and I need to provide that for him.
Ok, so following on from your information in red:
- I can change his feeding pattern now, and from now on will only feed him in the mornings (he's already eaten today). Ok don't reduce feedings yet but switch to mornings so he has time to bask... Gonna need height in that cage.
- the nutrobal link you added is what I'm using. Ok I am not fond of this one as its designed for birds as well and honestly do not know enough about it as it is not commonly used here in the states. I am going to tag in someone that lives in the UK for you as he knows better supplement options or maybe even more about this one. I am concerned about vitamin D3 overdose with this one being used everyday. @SharpShooter Help with supplements available in UK for veiled.
- I slowly and gently mist for about 5 minutes each time I mist. I'll take the bowl and waterfall out right now. Perfect!
- I haven't had a fecal test done, but I called the vets who said they can do one for me, and so getting one done tomorrow. GOOD... Let us know what the results are.
- I'll try and persuade my parents to get a new vivarium, but if not I've started a job last month so I can soon afford to buy one myself. Ok and screen cage may be another option for you. plus you can use zip ties to anchor branches to the screen. or build a laddice frame for the cage for attachment points. @GoodKarma19 can you post a pic of yours. If not @SharpShooter may be able to give you some advice for reworking this one and the bigger one you get.
- The pet store is closed now (its 8pm here), but I'll go in tomorrow and get him some more branches he can use for basking. Last time I was at the store they had these string/ hessian basking canopy thingies, but they didn't mention use for chameleons. Do you think its worth getting one of them? Whilst I'm at the store I'll get the new, correct UV bulbs. No dont get the string things their nails can get caught up in them. Get your hands on branches but you will need to be able to anchor these to the glass walls which will be hard. So see if they have vines that will suction cup to the glass.
- I'm taking the waterfall and water bowl out, so that should keep theme general humidity levels a bit lower. I'll wait and see what happens and tell you. Perfect.
- The nutrobal contains D3 and multivitamins, and was instructed to use by the reptile shop manager. Yeah so with this he is at great risk for D3 overdose which can make them very sick.
- Like I said, going to the store I'll get some more plants for Jellal. I'd like to transition to live plants at some point, if you have any advice on how to do so that would be much appreciated. Live plants and keep them in the pots add 1 inch or larger river rock to the top so he can not get at the soil... Dwarf umbrella would be good and get you some height but hold off until the fecal comes back.
- The vets told me my first chameleon died of septicemia, and passed away after I had him for about 4 weeks. The vivarium is the same one my previous chameleon had, it was thoroughly cleaned first and all the interior stuff was bought brand new for Jellal. Ok hun. This is good that it was cleaned well.

Thank you so much for helping me, I'm trying to get this all sorted now and really appreciate all the advice.

My biggest concern is making sure he is clear of parasites. Certain ones are much worse then others and are harder to get rid of. Which is why major interior changes to the cage should wait until we know for sure that he does not have anything.

Read through this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Also this podcast is really really good www.chameleonbreeder.com

Let us know what questions you have but fecal and results first. The only thing I would add now to the interior of the cage is a basking level with a path to get there. You want him about 7-8 inches below the top screen. And you want the uvb fixure right on the screen. Tell them you want a T5 and get the 24 inch because you will need that at least for the next cage size up. Get the 5.0 or 6% bulb.

Lattice pic, as requested! I just took some bamboo stakes and ziptied them together. They're quite strong, and make excellent anchor points and a climbing frame - just keep an eye out for splinters! Haven't had any issues yet, though. Keeps my clumsy Lily off of her screen! Can be easily used in glass, as well. Can possibly add suction cups or something, instead of rigging it directly to the frame... :unsure:

20200106_131759.jpg

20200106_131920.jpg

20200106_131932.jpg

It's so awesome that you're taking all of these feedback and making changes. Jellal will be so happy.

I would suggest changing your supplement schedule. I made a video all about supplements:

I also made a video all about adding in live plants:

Adding live plants:

Also going to include this video about gutloading:

Just finished watching all those videos, they were so helpful! I'm going to improve my gutloading now, casually going to steal my mum's watercress and add some of that in. I made some notes on the videos too so I can look at them again. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1578348637092-181963629.jpg
    1578348637092-181963629.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 84

Okay I have so much to work on. Thank you so much for the replies, it was a lot of information but Jellal deserves the best and I need to provide that for him.
- I can change his feeding pattern now, and from now on will only feed him in the mornings (he's already eaten today). Ok don't reduce feedings yet but switch to mornings so he has time to bask... Gonna need height in that cage.
- the nutrobal link you added is what I'm using. Ok I am not fond of this one as its designed for birds as well and honestly do not know enough about it as it is not commonly used here in the states. I am going to tag in someone that lives in the UK for you as he knows better supplement options or maybe even more about this one. I am concerned about vitamin D3 overdose with this one being used everyday. @SharpShooter Help with supplements available in UK for veiled.
- I slowly and gently mist for about 5 minutes each time I mist. I'll take the bowl and waterfall out right now. Perfect!
- I haven't had a fecal test done, but I called the vets who said they can do one for me, and so getting one done tomorrow. GOOD... Let us know what the results are.
- I'll try and persuade my parents to get a new vivarium, but if not I've started a job last month so I can soon afford to buy one myself. Ok and screen cage may be another option for you. plus you can use zip ties to anchor branches to the screen. or build a laddice frame for the cage for attachment points. @GoodKarma19 can you post a pic of yours. If not @SharpShooter may be able to give you some advice for reworking this one and the bigger one you get.
- The pet store is closed now (its 8pm here), but I'll go in tomorrow and get him some more branches he can use for basking. Last time I was at the store they had these string/ hessian basking canopy thingies, but they didn't mention use for chameleons. Do you think its worth getting one of them? Whilst I'm at the store I'll get the new, correct UV bulbs. No dont get the string things their nails can get caught up in them. Get your hands on branches but you will need to be able to anchor these to the glass walls which will be hard. So see if they have vines that will suction cup to the glass.
- I'm taking the waterfall and water bowl out, so that should keep theme general humidity levels a bit lower. I'll wait and see what happens and tell you. Perfect.
- The nutrobal contains D3 and multivitamins, and was instructed to use by the reptile shop manager. Yeah so with this he is at great risk for D3 overdose which can make them very sick.
- Like I said, going to the store I'll get some more plants for Jellal. I'd like to transition to live plants at some point, if you have any advice on how to do so that would be much appreciated. Live plants and keep them in the pots add 1 inch or larger river rock to the top so he can not get at the soil... Dwarf umbrella would be good and get you some height but hold off until the fecal comes back.
- The vets told me my first chameleon died of septicemia, and passed away after I had him for about 4 weeks. The vivarium is the same one my previous chameleon had, it was thoroughly cleaned first and all the interior stuff was bought brand new for Jellal. Ok hun. This is good that it was cleaned well.

Thank you so much for helping me, I'm trying to get this all sorted now and really appreciate all the advice.

My biggest concern is making sure he is clear of parasites. Certain ones are much worse then others and are harder to get rid of. Which is why major interior changes to the cage should wait until we know for sure that he does not have anything.

Let us know what questions you have but fecal and results first. The only thing I would add now to the interior of the cage is a basking level with a path to get there. You want him about 7-8 inches below the top screen. And you want the uvb fixure right on the screen. Tell them you want a T5 and get the 24 inch because you will need that at least for the next cage size up. Get the 5.0 or 6% bulb.
Ok, once again thank you so much for all the help.
- so I'll keep to the usual 10-12 locusts a day feeding routine, but give all them to jellal in the morning.
- for the moment I'm just gonna stop using the nutrobal, I'm going to try and find some other supplements tomorrow instead.
- thanks for telling me not to get the string basking thing,, really dodged a bullet there (almost ordered one). I'll stick to plants and sticks for now.
- like you said, I'm gonna stick to artificial plants until the fecal comes back, and I'll try and find a dwarf umbrella plant.
- I've read through the care sheet and will be listening to some podcasts tonight :)
Once again, thank you so much

Just finished watching all those videos, they were so helpful! I'm going to improve my gutloading now, casually going to steal my mum's watercress and add some of that in. I made some notes on the videos too so I can look at them again. Thank you!

Ahhh! That's so awesome :D Your notes are wonderful. I saw you wrote the question when to use phosphorus and vitamin A... So phosphorus comes from the bugs we feed our chams. The bugs usually have too much phosphorus which is why we have to dust them with calcium. If you remember in the video I used the example of crickets which have a 3:1 phosphorus:calcium ratio. So we don't add in any extra because there is already too much. The vitamin A is usually included in the multivitamin. But as long as you have a solid gutload routine, and your chameleon isn't having eye problems, you don't need to add that one in either.

Lattice pic, as requested! I just took some bamboo stakes and ziptied them together. They're quite strong, and make excellent anchor points and a climbing frame - just keep an eye out for splinters! Haven't had any issues yet, though. Keeps my clumsy Lily off of her screen! Can be easily used in glass, as well. Can possibly add suction cups or something, instead of rigging it directly to the frame... :unsure:

View attachment 255468

View attachment 255469

View attachment 255470
Oooh this looks really useful! I might ask my dad if he can help me make something like this, otherwise I think wilko sell this sorta thing - either way I'm definitely going to try and get this for Jellal so he can bask properly. Thanks

Ahhh! That's so awesome :D Your notes are wonderful. I saw you wrote the question when to use phosphorus and vitamin A... So phosphorus comes from the bugs we feed our chams. The bugs usually have too much phosphorus which is why we have to dust them with calcium. If you remember in the video I used the example of crickets which have a 3:1 phosphorus:calcium ratio. So we don't add in any extra because there is already too much. The vitamin A is usually included in the multivitamin. But as long as you have a solid gutload routine, and your chameleon isn't having eye problems, you don't need to add that one in either.
Yeah I was wondering about that so thanks for clarifying for me. The videos were so useful! Thanks

Oooh this looks really useful! I might ask my dad if he can help me make something like this, otherwise I think wilko sell this sorta thing - either way I'm definitely going to try and get this for Jellal so he can bask properly. Thanks

For sure! You can also buy an "expanding fence" - a lot of dollar stores and such carry them. I initially tried to make the fence work, but it crumbled when I went to trim it to size. It's super easy to make a lattice, though! Just lay the stakes down diagonally one way, then down the other way overtop, and place zipties where they cross.

For sure! You can also buy an "expanding fence" - a lot of dollar stores and such carry them. I initially tried to make the fence work, but it crumbled when I went to trim it to size. It's super easy to make a lattice, though! Just lay the stakes down diagonally one way, then down the other way overtop, and place zipties where they cross.
Ok thank you so much, I'm going to do some shopping around town for one and if not, I'll buy some zip ties :)

So its been a while since I took out the waterfall and water bowl, according to the dial hydrometer humidity is now at 45% (so its gone down).

So its been a while since I took out the waterfall and water bowl, according to the dial hydrometer humidity is now at 45% (so its gone down).
That is perfectly fine. So they need to be in a 30-50% max range for humidity during the day. Once you get the fecal done and can rule out parasites then when you add live plants this will stabilize your humidity and give him surface areas of leaves for drinking.

Ok, once again thank you so much for all the help.
- so I'll keep to the usual 10-12 locusts a day feeding routine, but give all them to jellal in the morning.
- for the moment I'm just gonna stop using the nutrobal, I'm going to try and find some other supplements tomorrow instead.
- thanks for telling me not to get the string basking thing,, really dodged a bullet there (almost ordered one). I'll stick to plants and sticks for now.
- like you said, I'm gonna stick to artificial plants until the fecal comes back, and I'll try and find a dwarf umbrella plant.
- I've read through the care sheet and will be listening to some podcasts tonight :)
Once again, thank you so much
Your very welcome hun. Let us know as you have more questions.

In terms of enclosures, I just want to add that you can find some really great deals on craigslist or facebook marketplace etc. The cost of large enclosures can be daunting, but there are ways around the price tag :)

In terms of enclosures, I just want to add that you can find some really great deals on craigslist or facebook marketplace etc. The cost of large enclosures can be daunting, but there are ways around the price tag :)
That's such a good idea! Thanks. Its quite daunting, but I've started my first job now so hopefully a new vivarium can be on the way soon :)

Back
Top Bottom