Chameleon Shipping

I am interested in getting a new chameleon, and I was thinking of getting my chameleon from somewhere else in the country. If I did this, the company would have to ship it. So now to my question, is shipping the chameleon going to hurt the chameleon? Also, where do you guys think that the best place to get a cham is? Thanks!

Thanks for the mention. I do have a few babies available. Here is the trend of the babies. I also attached the pics of the sire just so you're not looking through pages of the trend.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/the-wait-is-over.169040/

Please feel free you ask any questions you may have on shipping or otherwise.

Attachments

• 20190718_164502.jpg
    20190718_164502.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190718_164508.jpg
    20190718_164508.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 56
Shipping chameleons is very common. They are generally shipped in a clear plastic container with bunched up paper towels to hold onto and minimize movement. That is then put in a box so it will not shift around when handled. It is dark so the chameleon will not get very stressed. They will be shipped overnight and won't usually have any issues.

@Decadancin Thank you for the clarification!

Not a problem! If you search the web for chameleon unboxing videos you will see in more detail what I mean.

I will say that some animals are transported in bags, and this can lead to injuries as well as other problems. You should clarify with the shipper what method is being used.

@Beman where did you get your chams from and what breed are they?
I have one male Veiled. My boy is from Petco. I got him 4 days after they got him from a "breeder"... I was very lucky because he had not been in their care long enough to become sick and he did not have any parasites. I adore him. However my experience of buying from a Petco chain store I came to find out is not the typical story. Most chams are very sick and have parasites. There are other downsides. You do not know a hatchdate for a real age. You do not know the breeding of the cham so you can not insure that there is not an issue with genetics.

I do not regret getting my boy because he brought me into this hobby. However if I were to do it again I would research different breeders and base it off their care of the animals they breed and their reputation. I will get a Panther eventually and Beman will be my last Veiled. Veileds are known for attitudes and he has found his lol.

Anyways like I said one of the site sponsors or a forum breeder that others have bought from.

I just got mine in the mail about a month ago! One set came from FL and the other from AZ. Just make sure they are sent to a hub instead of a local fed ex store or you will have fun trying to save your cham from the back of a hot or cold delivery truck and unfortunately may have to wait another day for it while they return the delivery to the hub. All the little ones were happy and healthy and super eager to get out and bask!

Be mindful of weather conditions and be sure to communicate them with the breeder so they can compensate with a hot or cold pack.

My little buggers came from Kaze Kameleons and @Psychedelic Chams

Attachments

• 20190919_104904.jpg
    20190919_104904.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190919_104729.jpg
    20190919_104729.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190919_105003.jpg
    20190919_105003.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 79
Thanks! I got a male and worked out a deal for his sister, did the same with the second breeder and turned my desire to get 2 into having 4 now lol. I ended up getting a slightly better deal that way and figured I could trade one or two for ambanjas

Smart! Just remember inbreeding or "linebreeding" causes deformed and severely handicapped babies....usually 1-3 make it but live short lives...
There will be none of that! All are in separate cages, brother and sister will NEVER be paired but rather be paired up with the brother or sister from different parents /different clutch/ different breeder

Back
Top Bottom