Chameleon Shed

Sid_V

Has anyone had a particular bad shed for one of yours that consisted of them getting incredibly weak in the back legs?
My little monster Sid, who now looks and what I assume feels quite better now had that kind of week.
(Unbeknownst to me that the dust I was using did not have D3, so I switched him to liquid calcium and liquid vitamins)
EDIT:
Also forgot to mention that I did not realize the bulb I was using wasn't a proper uvb, but a infrared red bulb.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

And what did they say?
The vet was entirely unsure, because I did ask about impaction and he said it definitely was not that since I did use insects without hard outer shells and I use newspaper for the time being for substrate. He is not a Herpetologist but he at least was decent enough to check up on him. Today I went and bought him vitamin supplements, Calcium, and new 26w UVB and a new waterfall (he likes the drip from a water bottle too). To sum it up we're not sure. If it is something like mbd I hope I have enough to help him. (I am a first time Chameleon owner)

Take back the waterfall they are breeding grounds for bacteria. Why were you worried about impaction? We can help you find a vet in your area that is good for the Cham, what is your location? Take out the newspaper you just need a bare bottom no substrate,

Take back the waterfall they are breeding grounds for bacteria. Why were you worried about impaction? We can help you find a vet in your area that is good for the Cham, what is your location? Take out the newspaper you just need a bare bottom no substrate,
Well, he's not in his normal tank at the moment, this one is a 15g spare that I use to monitor any of my reptiles. I was worried because I have a mix size of supers and crickets and they would occasionally get mixed in. I live on hunter mountain in upstate new york haha. I digress, He seems to be doing a whole lot better now that he is almost done shedding, his legs regained the strength.

Back
Top Bottom