Chameleon question

Rosealine55

Okay so i have a female Jackson chameleon who is about a year old, i was wondering if I could put a younge veiled chameleon in there with her? She is 6 inches in length and the cage i am building for her is about eight feet high and 2 feet in diameter. Would that be big enough? Also i was wondering what live plants would be safe to put in there? I might make a 4 foot high with 17 inch diameter cage if she should be alone, if so i want to know what kind of plants i should put in there for her. It is an open air enclosure that is in tube shape. also what wattage of heat lights should i use for it?

I would not put the two in together. There are a few reasons why I wouldn't. One may have germs the other doesn't have...one may eat the other if the size is right...they will stress each other out...etc.

For the Jackson's you want a basking temperature in the low 80'sF so what ever wattage of white light bulb that will make it in that range is what you should use. It can be a regular white household incandescent light bulb.

For the veiled...while it's young you want the basking temperature to be in the low to mid 80'sF.

As for plants ...they should be non toxic and well washed....both sides of the leaves. Pothos, ficus, scheffleura, hibiscus, etc are fine. Real plants are advised in case the chameleon ingests some.

Do you know you need UVB lighting, proper supplements, appropriate temperatures, good feeding/gutloading of insects, proper hydration methods, etc?

Agreed. I would keep chameleons houses independently. Easier to monitor them especially when problem solving. Research each chameleon species and serve that species unique needs through a customized enclosure. You'll have the greatest success this way.

Back
Top Bottom