Chameleon Pet Insurance

Cromag09

Not sure where this belongs (sorry)

I have not seen this topic brought up so i wanted to share with everyone. Today while at work ( I work at an animal hospital) we had a lunch and learn about pet health insurance and i found out that they also insure Chameleons. I know that with the costs of medical care for dogs and cats that medical care for chameleons might get pretty high. anyways i wanted to spread the word that the insurance is out there! here is the link to get more info.

http://www.petinsurance.com/plans-and-coverage/exotic-pets.aspx

This is a good topic and could be a good thing to have, depending on what kind of animal you have vs. what it pays for. I would just caution everyone to do their homework and to research all different types of policies out there (and there are quite a few companies out there that carry it). You have to weigh the price of the policy vs. what it covers vs. the type of pet you have. Some of the policies really aren't worth it (even for a dog or cat) and you will end up spending more money on the insurance in the long run and it really doesn't cover that much when you need it (I'm not saying every policy is like that, of course). Although, in my searching, I have never come accross one that covers chams. Hhhhmmm. Interesting!

I have pet insurance as well and it is good on for all my chameleons. All the vets take my pet insurance for my dogs, snakes and cats. I moved here from Bonita Springs, Florida and there were more exotic vets there. They all took my pet insurance. However, the last vet I visited here in Ohio was for a chameleon and they did not accept my pet insurance there. Still great to inform people of the option to pay for pet insurance.

I know that here in the UK, the only insurer offering this is Exotics Direct, and the exclusions on the policy are rather significant:

1. Does not cover Egg binding or any other reproductive issues
2. Does not cover fight injuries (i.e. from mating introductions)
3. Very high excesses compared to furry pets
4. Low limits on treatment

there hasn’t been much chat on this thread for a while, but fyi I just found insurance that covers chams from britishpetinsurance.co.uk, covers up to £5000 and some alternative treatments etc for similar cost to exoticdirect

Back
Top Bottom