Chameleon outside in the uk

Shaunny

Just wondering if it could ever work?

is it possible to have a chameleon outside in the uk? i would never do it during the winter as it only gets to a max of 60 on a good day. when it starts to worm up could i have an outside enclosure but still have heat lamps for basking? i want him to be able to have some natural sunlight. saturday just go was the clearest day we have had all winter, still cold but the sun was beaming all day. when spring really starts we het a lot of clear days but i think basking sites to regulate temps would deff be need. if he has the basking light can he still manage with say 60-65 air temp?

It never reaches high temps in Scotland but last year we did have a few good days and I put Popeye out in a screen viv for an hour or two whenever I could. I'm not sure if the sun would be strong enough to do any good but I feel better having done it.

I'm pretty sure that if it's a clear day and the sun is shining no matter what time of year it is it must be better uv than a tube but I'm just worried that if the temp was about 60-65 it would be too cold even with a basking light.

That sounds like a good day here. Given that they can take temps of around 55 f at night I would do it as long as there is no wind. Can't say that Popeye is very happy going out in his viv bit he does like roaming about the garden.

I'm going to try it when it worms up. Will put a basking light on top too just incase. Out garden has 6ft fences all the way around so it we'll sheltered from the wind

radiation from the sun works a bit differently on lizards than heat from a light bulb.

I'm not in the UK, but here I leave my chams and other lizards outside in all weather unless night temps are below 50 (for panthers, 40 for veileds).

Even if the day is cool, if there is sunlight of some sort lizards can warm up, similar to a brick in the sun. They feel much warmer to the touch than the ambient temperature.

Not chameleons, but a rather extreme example- I've had bearded dragons here breeding on days when highs were only in the low 60s but they had sunshine. Indoors under heat lamps they would be very sluggish or altogether dormant under similar conditions. But the solar radiation seems to penetrate and warm the lizards more effectively, and for whatever reason they seem to be able to "build" and retain heat more effectively, kind of like a brick...

So what your saying is if the temps are around 60-65(average day in the uk) and I provided a possible heat source as well then it's still going to be miles better than indoors under artificial lighting?

So what your saying is if the temps are around 60-65(average day in the uk) and I provided a possible heat source as well then it's still going to be miles better than indoors under artificial lighting?

As we can't really predict how well the conditions in your area will work, I'd say you could try it during the warmest part of the year, but be prepared to bring your cham indoors if it loses weight (can't warm up enough to hunt enough to support itself or digest), or its behavior is sluggish, or it shows signs of MBD (too much prolonged heavy cloudiness).

Always have mine out in the summer they love it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 167
I had mine outside last year when my area had a heat wave hitting 79F to nearly 80F but so far, haven't had them outside this year as its not warm enough.

i have know the temps are a very important but i was wondering if its possible with basking lights? obviously panthers can drop as low as 55-60 at night so i would never do it unless it was above that.

has anyone ever done uv tests on a cloudy day and if so are the results more than artificial lighting or is it zero? would love him to have as much natural sun as possible even if it means having basking lights too aid thermoregulating.

i would never leave him out all night that would be stupid

Back
Top Bottom