Chameleon not using his tongue to eat?

JlaPinska

I filled out the thingy in the pinned post just in case.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species Veiled, male, 3 years old. been in my care for about 2.5 of those years
  • Handling - I never handle him unless someone else wants to. he doesn't seem to get stressed out and doesn't bite.
  • Feeding - I feed him spring mix from the grocery store, it has kale and romain and a few other good things in it. I feed him crickets, superworms, hornworms, and dubia roaches. For the feeders he gets 12 crickets 12 mealworms one horn worm (big ones) and 2 large dubia roaches. I feed him every other day. He eats his greens on off days and sometimes i give him grapes or blueberries.Most of my feeders come from the pet shop and eat chows but i give my roach colony everything from oatmeal to cereal and fruits and veggies
  • Supplements - Right now i'm using rep-cal Herptivite miltivitamin and rep-cal calcium with vit d3 and then regular calcium for everything else. he gets the miltivit and the d3 both twice a month alternating weeks.
  • Watering - I use a misting bottle and i spray for 2 minutes twice a day until the cage is soaking. Sometimes he will sit and drink and other times runs away because he's a goober. but his crest looks good.
  • Fecal Description - droppings normal white and black/brownish and he goes normally
  • History - i started cup feeding him becaue hand feeding became too strneuous on my arms to hold still. He use to chase the crickets around in his cage but he doesnt do that anymore. when i hold the cup of bugs up to him he does not use his tongue he just chomps at the food. same thing if i try to hand feed him. he sticks his tongue out a little but not enough to get a grip.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Large reptibreeze
  • Lighting - im using a large ceramic dome for his 75watt heat lamp, and a zoo med t-5 output tube uvb strip. there's also another cheapo light for his plant but its old so i cant remember the specs.
  • Temperature - His cage ranges from the highest 90--95 degrees and the rest it just gets cooler as you go down the cage.Lowest over night temp is 75. digital thermometers or a handheld gun is what i use to gage the temps.
  • Humidity - Humidity never drops below 50 but sometimes i jack it up to like 70 when he is shedding. I maintain humidity my misting the entire cage until it is all soaking wet, twice a day. i also use a digital gage for this
  • Plants - I am using a giant pothos in his cage. sometimes he nibbles on it but not often
  • Placement - The cage is located in my kitchen but its only ever me and my husband who walks by it. he doesn't seem stressed out in fact he comes to the front of the cage if we walk up to it. we have the cage on a 2ft tall stand so his cage comes up about a foot and a half from the ceiling. he chills at the top mostly.
  • Location - North carlina

Current Problem

the problem is it's like hes gotten so lazy he refuses to shoot his tongue for food. he gets about an inch away from the food, touches his tongue to it but it doesn't stick. so he ends up just chomping the food out of the bowl. Or gives up like on dubia roaches. I didn't know if this was just normal behavior or a common issue? i started cup feeding a year ago but things like crickets he wont even go after them because he wont use the tongue. his tongue looks normal. I read somewhere that if they don't shoot the tongue then the suction effect wont work. could that be it? Could i have just spoiled him too much with the cup stuff?

BUMP!! i was also wondering if this could be some type of health issue like maybe the tip of his tongue isn't sticky enough?

You said..."Right now i'm using rep-cal Herptivite miltivitamin and rep-cal calcium with vit d3 and then regular calcium for everything else. he gets the miltivit and the d3 both twice a month alternating weeks"....when did you change to this? What were you doing before this?

You said..."I use a misting bottle and i spray for 2 minutes twice a day until the cage is soaking. Sometimes he will sit and drink and other times runs away"...imwouldmrecommend using a dripper too.

Tongue issues can be the result of injury, infection, dehydration or supplement imbalances. Some people say chameleons can develop lazy tongue from cup feeding too. We just have to figure out what to do about it.

Back
Top Bottom