Chameleon Not Gaining Weight

Khrysjam

Hi everyone! I’m still a fairly new chameleon keeper and need some advice. I’ve had my girl for a few months now and she doesn’t seem to be gaining weight or growing.

She’s a female veiled chameleon and currently weighs about 42 g. Since I brought her home, she maintains between 40-44 g. I feed her 5 feeders a day and vary her diet between crickets, roaches, and BSFL, with hornworms and superworms as an occasional treat. She gets calcium without D3 every feeding and a multivitamin 2x a month.

Is this normal or should I be feeding her more than what I am? Any help appreciated! I’ve attached a photo for reference.

Attachments

• 500AA50E-263B-4354-BA6F-6E546E9962FE.jpeg
    500AA50E-263B-4354-BA6F-6E546E9962FE.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 70
I’m sorry to hear that your little girl doesn’t seem to be growing. She does look small in the picture. I highly recommend you take a fresh poop to the vet and get a fecal check for parasites. Parasites, especially cociddia can keep them from growing. I also recommend at this size and age, you feed her more.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear your Cham does not seem to be gaining weight. I know you said you've had her a few months, do you know how old she is? You feed her 5 feeders a day. If you were to feed her more would she eat them? When chameleons are young they should be given 2 or 3 times that much.

Also, in regards to your supplementation do you give her the recommended calcium with D3 twice a month?

I’m sorry to hear that your little girl doesn’t seem to be growing. She does look small in the picture. I highly recommend you take a fresh poop to the vet and get a fecal check for parasites. Parasites, especially cociddia can keep them from growing. I also recommend at this size and age, you feed her more.

I forgot to mention that she has had a fecal and it came back negative for everything.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear your Cham does not seem to be gaining weight. I know you said you've had her a few months, do you know how old she is? You feed her 5 feeders a day. If you were to feed her more would she eat them? When chameleons are young they should be given 2 or 3 times that much.

Also, in regards to your supplementation do you give her the recommended calcium with D3 twice a month?

She's a rescue so I don't have any clue how old she is. I tried to get some insight through this forum when I first got her and got mixed feedback on whether she was an adult or a juvenile. Based on what people on here said is how I decided to stick with the 5 feeders a day since I was not sure of her exact age. I have not given her calcium with D3 for fear of overdosing her. I take her out twice a week for an hour each time for natural sun and use her UVB bulb.

She's a rescue so I don't have any clue how old she is. I tried to get some insight through this forum when I first got her and got mixed feedback on whether she was an adult or a juvenile. Based on what people on here said is how I decided to stick with the 5 feeders a day since I was not sure of her exact age. I have not given her calcium with D3 for fear of overdosing her. I take her out twice a week for an hour each time for natural sun and use her UVB bulb.
I would giver her 15 feeders and see how much she eats. Hopefully that will help her gain. You can buy Reptivite with D3 and use that in place of the multivitamin you already use. 2times a month.

Back
Top Bottom