Chameleon not eating

SorSor24

My chameleon hasn’t been eating his Dubai roaches for 2 days now, to me doesn’t look like he has begun shed yet or getting ready to. He wouldn’t even eat wax worms today.

Attachments

• 52E32E9C-44A2-4C5A-B5E2-4F3240FE3CBE.jpeg
    52E32E9C-44A2-4C5A-B5E2-4F3240FE3CBE.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 97
Handsome boy you have there. Would you mind posting a picture of the entire cage lighting down so we can see what your working with?

90F4D356-96C7-4B7B-87D9-4B6331C38891.jpeg

Attachments

• B5EABA69-2A92-429C-980E-8B6433B5EF7B.jpeg
    B5EABA69-2A92-429C-980E-8B6433B5EF7B.jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 16B6FD18-8607-484C-AA9C-531A2608DD7D.jpeg
    16B6FD18-8607-484C-AA9C-531A2608DD7D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
Looks pretty good. What UVB are you using and what bulb strength? Have you had a husbandry review done by chance?

What is he about 6 months old? Have you gotten a fecal done since you got him?

Looks pretty good. What UVB are you using and what bulb strength? Have you had a husbandry review done by chance?

What is he about 6 months old? Have you gotten a fecal done since you got him?
I have a t5 reptisun 14 inch on his current cage, his new one has a 24 inch T5
(Edit) And I have not gotten a fecal done yet.

I have a t5 reptisun 14 inch on his current cage, his new one has a 24 inch T5
(Edit) And I have not gotten a fecal done yet.
That is great and are you using the 5.0 strength bulbs?

Have you had a husbandry review done?

Have you gotten a fecal done since you got him?

I also have a little coil T5 bulb inside the double fixture because it has the spot for it and why not cover more ground

No fecal, I have not, and yes it is 5.0
ok so that is good for the strength. Make sure your doing 8-9 inches to basking branch not any closer or the UVI will be too high for him.

Anything change in the environment? Besides not eating is he acting any differently?

ok so that is good for the strength. Make sure your doing 8-9 inches to basking branch not any closer or the UVI will be too high for him.

Anything change in the environment? Besides not eating is he acting any differently?
Okay I just moved his branch down a little further, and he has been climbing up the sides more than usual

Okay I just moved his branch down a little further, and he has been climbing up the sides more than usual
I am guessing he is somewhere around the 6 months or so age. They tend to really want more space. So he will appreciate the larger cage when you complete it.

Per the not eating. I would get a fecal done to rule out parasite issues. An exotic vet with reptile experience is best. You should be able to take in a fresh fecal for them to do the testing. If it were to come back positive then they would need to see him. Depending on the parasite not only would medication need to be started but cleaning the cage properly to prevent reinfection is important.

I am guessing he is somewhere around the 6 months or so age. They tend to really want more space. So he will appreciate the larger cage when you complete it.

Per the not eating. I would get a fecal done to rule out parasite issues. An exotic vet with reptile experience is best. You should be able to take in a fresh fecal for them to do the testing. If it were to come back positive then they would need to see him. Depending on the parasite not only would medication need to be started but cleaning the cage properly to prevent reinfection is important.
Okay, currently my girlfriend is taking care of him while I am away on a small business trip, how much do the exotic vets usually cost?

Okay, currently my girlfriend is taking care of him while I am away on a small business trip, how much do the exotic vets usually cost?
Ahhh ok... Does she normally take care of him? Are you feeding by hand, cup, feeder run?

She and her sister have several times and he likes them both a lot and will even come out of the cage and climb on them willingly
Ok good I just wanted to make sure that was not a factor. Some will have a hard time with a person they are not used to.

So fecal price really depends on your vet. Some they are as low as $25 some as high as $75. I would try to see if you can just take in the fecal first so you do not cause un needed stress. Then if anything were to show up they would have to see him for treatment.

It may not be parasites at all. Some will go off food prior to a shed while others remain little pigs.

Typically it can be a situation where something is new in the environment which was why I was asking about that. Even putting the new cage next to his could throw him off a bit.

See how he is tomorrow. If you are only hand feeding I would recommend getting a feeder run. That way he can eat as he pleases. I like both of these
https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/

Ok good I just wanted to make sure that was not a factor. Some will have a hard time with a person they are not used to.

So fecal price really depends on your vet. Some they are as low as $25 some as high as $75. I would try to see if you can just take in the fecal first so you do not cause un needed stress. Then if anything were to show up they would have to see him for treatment.

It may not be parasites at all. Some will go off food prior to a shed while others remain little pigs.

Typically it can be a situation where something is new in the environment which was why I was asking about that. Even putting the new cage next to his could throw him off a bit.

See how he is tomorrow. If you are only hand feeding I would recommend getting a feeder run. That way he can eat as he pleases. I like both of these
https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/
I hand feed and have a little bird feeder as well that he is mainly fed out of.

Everything else is normal he’s just not eating and I use the Earth A supplements daily and the Arcadia D3 every other Monday

Back
Top Bottom