Chameleon not eating or moving!!!

LuisR2131

A few days ago my I noticed my chameleon just staying on the bottom of the cage. Then the next day there were about 5 or 6 eggs and she was just laying down at the bottom not moving at all. There are 2 crickets inside and she has not eaten. I cleaned the cage really well. She has been sleeping during the day for the last two days. She has not been around any male chameleons so I don't know why there were eggs or what is going on.

Get your female to a vet ASAP. Females will lay eggs having been with a male or not. If not properly taken care of, a female WILL die egg bound because she will not let the eggs out.

Sad to say, but it may be too late for yours. There has to be a laying bin inside your cage for her to lay her eggs. I keep one in there all the time as it does not disturb her.

Like chickens they will lay unfertilized eggs without even the presence of a male. It is absolutely critical that you get her to a vet ASAP if she is to have a chance to live. She is egg bound and may need surgery to remove the rest. Be aware that this is a common cause of death and unfortunately you may be too late. I hope not but you must get her to a qualified vet immediately. Keep her hydrated if possible.

females do lay eggs, whether mated or not. They should have an egg laying bin put into their cage before the laying takes place, so they won't have any problems laying, and will not become egg bound.

Five eggs seems like an unusually small number, and if she has more eggs inside her still, it sounds as if she may be (or may be on the way to getting) egg bound. I don't have personal experience with females, but all of this info is stuff I have learned from the forums. I really recommend a vet visit. Maybe one of the other members with more experience has another answer

I`m sorry your girl is so poorly, but please, please get her to the vet.

Females can lay unfertilised eggs whether they have ever seen a male or not, as was the case with my little girl, but despite the seriousness of the problem she is still with us today. it does not neccessarily mean surgery as sometimes i believe Oxitocin can be used to induce egg laying. You will be amazed what a good vet can do. I`m crossing my fingers for you both and keeping you in my thoughts :) Please let us know how she goes.

eggs

When do females start laying these unfertilized eggs? I am new to these forums and new to being a chameleon owner. We just bought our first Veiled Chameleon, she is about 8 weeks old (or so the pet store told us) and I would like to know when to start leaving the bin in with her ?? And also, what would you use inside of it? Sand? The same substrate as what's on the bottom of the cage? How big-width and depth- should the bin be?? Appreciate input, thank you!

They can start when they are sexually mature (at about 5 or 6 months of age for most of them)...but some never lay them. It seems to be partly relying on diet.

Well, everyone else has already said it, but just for the sake of giving my opinion, VET TIME. RIGHT NOW. If you don't have an experienced reptile vet, get one now, and you should tell the vet it's an emergency. I think with her staying asleep during the day you're past the point that putting her in a bin would help. Since it's sunday, if you absolutely can't find a vet to take her today, try to get her to drink and put her in an appropriate laying bin, something at least 12" deep with moist playsand or dirt or anything really at this point, that is safe for her and can hold a tunnel, incase she is still strong enough to dig. But if you can get her to a vet today, I would take her immediately.

as everyone has said get that poor girl to a vet asap.. you dont know why thered be eggs? really? it is a female an ALL females will lay eggs regardless if they were bred or not, im always saddened when i see these posts. an with that i will shut up now. best of luck to you..:(

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I looked at some older posts and when you were asking about information for your chameleon people posted links to blog entries that mentioned specific consideration for female chameleons which detailed infertile egg laying and the importance of an egg laying bin. Please, please please please read up on this information if your girl isn't spayed or anything as a result of this, or if you end up getting another female.

When do females start laying these unfertilized eggs? I am new to these forums and new to being a chameleon owner. We just bought our first Veiled Chameleon, she is about 8 weeks old (or so the pet store told us) and I would like to know when to start leaving the bin in with her ?? And also, what would you use inside of it? Sand? The same substrate as what's on the bottom of the cage? How big-width and depth- should the bin be?? Appreciate input, thank you!

Most cham owners do not recommend using anything on the bottom of their cages. if your cham ingests it it can cause a blockage. if you hae to use something use paper towels, or reptile carpet.

I just wondered if she was given privacy when laying also ? They are very shy and often will not lay if they feel watched. I used half sand half eco earth (blocks of coconut fibre) for Gizzy`s bin as advised by the forum, but as Gizzy never laid I can`t say if it works well.

I use eco earth and sand mix - it's lighter for them to dig through. Amy laid her first clutch with no problems in that.

Back
Top Bottom