Chameleon not eating- Mouth Rot?

Casperr

(Zed is my 7 to 8 month old male Veiled)
Zed suddenly just didn't eat today. Not sure what that's all about; he usually eats a nice chunk every day.
I got him out of his cage to get a better view of him, and he hissed at me (cute, mean little bastard :p ), but when he hissed at me I think I noticed that his right side of his bottom lip looked a little warped compared to the right side. I thought maybe this could be a sign of mouth rot. I hadn't seen any discoloring, however.
Keep in mind that I'm also sort of a hypochondriac, so I might just be overreacting, but I just like to make sure.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1), is there a way I can get his mouth to stay open without hurting him? If so, how? I want to be able to get a better look at his lip to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

2), is there anything I can do to try to make him better before taking him to the vet before it gets worse, in case he does have mouth rot?

3), does anyone have any suggestions about what else it could be other than mouth rot? He went from eating the equivalent of about 5 crickets a day, then just suddenly stopped today.

All help is appreciated, thanks guys. If you have any questions just ask, and I'll answer soon.
I'll let you guys know if he's better by tomorrow.

I think I noticed that his right side of his bottom lip looked a little warped compared to the right side. I thought maybe this could be a sign of mouth rot. I hadn't seen any discoloring, however.

1), is there a way I can get his mouth to stay open without hurting him? If so, how? I want to be able to get a better look at his lip to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

2), is there anything I can do to try to make him better before taking him to the vet before it gets worse, in case he does have mouth rot?

3), does anyone have any suggestions about what else it could be other than mouth rot? He went from eating the equivalent of about 5 crickets a day, then just suddenly stopped today.

All help is appreciated, thanks guys. If you have any questions just ask, and I'll answer soon.
I'll let you guys know if he's better by tomorrow.

Without a picture it is very hard to tell anything about his mouth. Usually mouth rot will show first as a reddened swelling along the gumline. As the infection develops there can also be patches of pale cheesy looking stuff. One thing that can cause a deformed jaw is MBD. What's your gutloading and dusting schedule like? What ingredients do you use? How old is your UV lighting?

Not eating for one day isn't something to panic about. If your cham hadn't eaten in a week then I would worry. At his age his growth rate is slowing down so he doesn't need to eat as much. Try feeding him every other day...a little hunger helps appetite.

Back
Top Bottom