Chameleon not eating, Help!

NickC2468

I just moved my 6 month male veiled chameleon into a 24x24x48 bioactive enclosure, and he immeadietly stopped eating the day I moved him in. This has gone on about 5 days, and I’m getting very worried.

Your Chameleon - 6 month male veiled chameleon, I’ve had him since he was 3 weeks.
Handling - almost everyday, but only when he chooses to crawl onto my hand.
Feeding - i have been feeding him crickets for about 1 month, about 8-12 everyday. It put them in their before I go to school, at about 6:30am, then take them out at about 3:00 pm. I feed the crickets spinach, kale, and carrots, more recently apples also.
Supplements - i use calcium without D3 and without phosphorus, 3 times a week, and multivitamin once every month.
Watering - i spray his cage with a misting system for one minute, then drip water onto his nose. I do see him drinking fairly regularly.
Fecal Description - normal color and consistency of feces, he has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24x24x48 two panel glass and two panel screen combo. Bottom is glass and top is screen.
Lighting - 50 w heat bulb and uvb bulb,I got uvb 1 month ago so it’s not the problem. His cage was getting pretty cold, so I added a 75w basking bulb, the top basking spot is only 80 degrees still.
Temperature - 80 at basking spot during day, 65 at lowest point during day, about 65 all around during night. I use a digital thermometer.
Humidity - between 50-70 during the day, drops to 40 at night. I have 6 plants in his cage, use a forger, and a mister. I use hygrometer to measure.
Plants - 6 plants, 3 small tropical plants I got at reptile store (I’m not sure what kind, but the employee told me they were safe) also a pothos, ficus, and dwarf umbrella, all very young and fairly small.
Placement - cage is on the floor bweteen dresser on one side and wall on other, and is about 2 feet from my bed. There is a ceiling fan, but not very close, no other vents/ high traffic area. Cage is 4 feet up from ground.
Location - Las Vegas NV, very dry and at this time of year is about 50-60 degrees.

Current Problem - he stopped eating when I put him in his new cage. I have about 15 crickets free ranging around the cage, and try to cup feed him 10 a day, but he hasn’t eaten any.

Attachments

• CF9CC87F-2088-4CD4-AC57-347C5F0433B5.jpeg
    CF9CC87F-2088-4CD4-AC57-347C5F0433B5.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 4CEE0C18-7660-4267-99E6-A01FA13D030E.jpeg
    4CEE0C18-7660-4267-99E6-A01FA13D030E.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 127
I just moved my 6 month male veiled chameleon into a 24x24x48 bioactive enclosure, and he immeadietly stopped eating the day I moved him in. This has gone on about 5 days, and I’m getting very worried.

Your Chameleon - 6 month male veiled chameleon, I’ve had him since he was 3 weeks.
Handling - almost everyday, but only when he chooses to crawl onto my hand.
Feeding - i have been feeding him crickets for about 1 month, about 8-12 everyday. It put them in their before I go to school, at about 6:30am, then take them out at about 3:00 pm. I feed the crickets spinach, kale, and carrots, more recently apples also.
Supplements - i use calcium without D3 and without phosphorus, 3 times a week, and multivitamin once every month.
Watering - i spray his cage with a misting system for one minute, then drip water onto his nose. I do see him drinking fairly regularly.
Fecal Description - normal color and consistency of feces, he has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24x24x48 two panel glass and two panel screen combo. Bottom is glass and top is screen.
Lighting - 50 w heat bulb and uvb bulb,I got uvb 1 month ago so it’s not the problem. His cage was getting pretty cold, so I added a 75w basking bulb, the top basking spot is only 80 degrees still.
Temperature - 80 at basking spot during day, 65 at lowest point during day, about 65 all around during night. I use a digital thermometer.
Humidity - between 50-70 during the day, drops to 40 at night. I have 6 plants in his cage, use a forger, and a mister. I use hygrometer to measure.
Plants - 6 plants, 3 small tropical plants I got at reptile store (I’m not sure what kind, but the employee told me they were safe) also a pothos, ficus, and dwarf umbrella, all very young and fairly small.
Placement - cage is on the floor bweteen dresser on one side and wall on other, and is about 2 feet from my bed. There is a ceiling fan, but not very close, no other vents/ high traffic area. Cage is 4 feet up from ground.
Location - Las Vegas NV, very dry and at this time of year is about 50-60 degrees.

Current Problem - he stopped eating when I put him in his new cage. I have about 15 crickets free ranging around the cage, and try to cup feed him 10 a day, but he hasn’t eaten any.
Have you tried feeding him something other than crickets? Like some superworms or silkworms? He might just be getting picky of the same meal. Also, D3 should be used only twice a month

Your basking temp is too low. Try a 100watt or try to bring him closer to the light. He needs to be sitting anywhere from 85-90*
Also your UVB lighting is a problem. You're only using a coil compact bulb and that does absolutely nothing as far as UVB output. He would literally need to be upside down on the screen top under the bulb to benefit. Get yourself a 22" T5HO UVB ASAP.

might just not be hungry. 6 month old veiled chameleons should be fed around every other day. what size cricket are you feeding?

i just recently changed my chams encloser up an moved it into a different room, he had no change at all and kept eating and drinking, i would just keep an eye on it and see if this keeps going on.

i just recently changed my chams encloser up an moved it into a different room, he had no change at all and kept eating and drinking, i would just keep an eye on it and see if this keeps going on.
different chameleons will act differently to a surrounding change, not all chameleons will act fine after a move some will stress out and some wont

I have never fed him butterflies or any bugs from around my house. I decided to move up to larges because I noticed him eating two mediums at the same time with little to no trouble, but I will move down to medium.

I have never fed him butterflies or any bugs from around my house. I decided to move up to larges because I noticed him eating two mediums at the same time with little to no trouble, but I will move down to medium.
Sorry lol. Butterflies were someone else on a diff thread

I have a verrrrryyy sensitive little lady that will quit eating if you disturb her home in any way. My advice would be to feed him his normal food daily then remove it at night for a couple days then also try some treats like wax worms or horned worms. With removing the food ive noticed they get bored of seeing things move around and it just won't interest them especially in a stressed state but removing save reintroducing seems to help and if you can get him to eat something at all like a wax worm or whatever it seems like Once their appetite gets going again they resume eating as normal.

I have a verrrrryyy sensitive little lady that will quit eating if you disturb her home in any way. My advice would be to feed him his normal food daily then remove it at night for a couple days then also try some treats like wax worms or horned worms. With removing the food ive noticed they get bored of seeing things move around and it just won't interest them especially in a stressed state but removing save reintroducing seems to help and if you can get him to eat something at all like a wax worm or whatever it seems like Once their appetite gets going again they resume eating as normal.
I’m going to the reptile shop tomorrow to get some thing new to eat. Thanks for the advice!

10-12 large is way too many. My 3 year old only eats 5 or 6 every 2-3 days

I’m going to the reptile shop tomorrow to get some thing new to eat. Thanks for the advice!
If they have Dubia roaches, get those. Their high in protein and are super hardy. But if they have waxworks, worse scenario you feed him some of those. their very fatty, almost like a dessert for chameleons

Back
Top Bottom