chameleon not eating a lot.. help!

Boynoplay

So ive had zion home for about a week and a half now. He is still very small 3-4 inches.

He started eating after the second day and has been eating everyday since. But the problem is he is only eating about 2-6 crickets a day. Ive read they should be eating a lot more than that when younger (around 10-20) so im wondering whats up?

His poop and urate is good i see it almost everyday as well.

Any advice? Please!

A5D8FD25-3D89-45AA-AD9D-E17478219E9A.jpeg

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Please fill out the form below in detail and include pics of your enclosure lights down so we can help you.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

What size crickets are you feeding and how do you offer them? How are you gut loading?

What size crickets are you feeding and how do you offer them? How are you gut loading?
1/4 inch and ive seen him eat some of the bigger ones no problem. I havent set up the perfect best gutloading because its week 1 but I put some kale and potatoes in it.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled male chameleon. Around 2-3 months old I believe. (3-4 inches big)
  • Handling - Maybe 2-4 times a week for maybe 20-30 min.
  • Feeding - feeding him in a 6 inch container with 1/4 inch crickets leave it open at top of cage where he can access for at least 4 hours morning to afternoon. Then I close it halfway way through the day.
  • Supplements - usual no d3 everyday multi vit and d3 every other week
  • Watering - his urate has been white every time i see it
  • Fecal Description - looks very normal

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled male chameleon. Around 2-3 months old I believe. (3-4 inches big)
  • Feeding - feeding him in a 6 inch container with 1/4 inch crickets leave it open at top of cage where he can access for at least 4 hours morning to afternoon. Then I close it halfway way through the day.

Please take the time to fill out the entire form. With chams its essential. The tiniest little detail can the world of a difference.

When mine were young i used the feeder cup from full throttle to ensure they knew where to go. I know there are different mind sets on this topic and I'm not trying to start a debate. I would keep the cups with about 10 crickets in there and through the day they would end up eating about 15-20. They would eat a lot at first then slow down and grab more through the day.

I really can't do anything with the small amount of info provided. We are all guessing at this point. You could have something additional that is off in your husbandry. 6 inch container may be too deep for him. And as already stated you do not want to limit their access to food.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 53
  • chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
    chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 83
  • chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
    chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 40
  • chameleon-supplements.jpg
    chameleon-supplements.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 78
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 62
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass - 36x18x36
  • Lighting - uvb and basking 100w come on at 10am - 930pm with a 10 minute off at 4pm
  • Temperature - cage temp away from basking is usually around 72-80 and around 70-72 at night. Basking area is from 82-86 max
  • Humidity - humidity stays within the 40-70 range on average usually around 50-60
  • Plants - no live plants.
  • Placement - cage is next to window to get partial light and there is a fan running in my room as well as humidifier at times because room can get dry.
  • Location - Canada, Toronto
and here are some pics of the enclosure. I think I need to find a better way for him to eat although I believe my way isnt bad. I do see him eating and feed him from time to time he is just not eat as much as he should be.

Back
Top Bottom