chameleon not eating a lot.. help!

I feel your cricket bin is too deep and wide for him as of right now. Also don't take his food away at this age. If he wants to eat at 4pm let him eat at 4pm. Feed right away in the morning as usual but leave it there for him to pick off all day if he so chooses. Also is your UVB a coil bulb? And your day humidity should be 30-40% night time humidity 80-90%. It should be allowed to fluctuate like this. What are you gutloading with?

See my feedback in red bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled male chameleon. Around 2-3 months old I believe. (3-4 inches big)
  • Handling - Maybe 2-4 times a week for maybe 20-30 min.
  • Feeding - feeding him in a 6 inch container with 1/4 inch crickets leave it open at top of cage where he can access for at least 4 hours morning to afternoon. Then I close it halfway way through the day. I think your container may be a little too deep. I think this is where the issue is... If you have a vine you can run that hoops down into the dish this may help. He is awfully tiny. I would make sure that you are letting him eat all day. Put them in and just leave them.. He needs constant access at this age. He will be taking down a lot too 20+
  • Supplements - usual no d3 everyday multi vit and d3 every other week
  • Watering - his urate has been white every time i see it
  • Fecal Description - looks very normal

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass - 36x18x36
  • Lighting - uvb and basking 100w come on at 10am - 930pm with a 10 minute off at 4pm
  • Temperature - cage temp away from basking is usually around 72-80 and around 70-72 at night. Basking area is from 82-86 max
  • Humidity - humidity stays within the 40-70 range on average usually around 50-60 Try to keep it at the lower end under 50 during the day when the lights are on... so 30-50% is what your shooting for. Then at night you can use a fogger if you like from say 1-5am when there is no light and the cage has cooled off. Check out this podcast https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/
  • Plants - no live plants. I would add a pothos or dwarf umbrella plant.... cover the dirt with 1 inch river rock. They really enjoy live plants. It may help him to feel safer as well and they help with the air quality in the exo terra.
  • Placement - cage is next to window to get partial light and there is a fan running in my room as well as humidifier at times because room can get dry.
  • Location - Canada, Toronto
and here are some pics of the enclosure. I think I need to find a better way for him to eat although I believe my way isnt bad. I do see him eating and feed him from time to time he is just not eat as much as he should be.

Back
Top Bottom