Chameleon night light

Char333p

Avid Member
Hatchlings due in September doing all research I can to make it go well.

So, I know chameleons can not have a light on in the room they are in when sleeping. I know ideally the room should be pitch black.

My question is, are the streetlamps or neighbors or even a full moon, that send in a faint glow from the window indirectly into the room though window blinds. Will that disrupt them?

Or is it going to be necessary to get black out curtains and make sure I cover any faint glows??

Probably easier to drape a dark colored sheet or towel over the side of the cage that faces the window if the room is still lit up by the streetlight. The main problem to avoid is direct light in the room or on the cage itself.

Agreed, I have my set up on a metal shelving unit and have the back and sides covered to help with keeping humidity up. For the front I also have a tarp but I keep it folded up all day and cover it when the lights go out since I'm usually still awake and don't want my light in the room to disturb his sleep schedule.

My chameleons are in my son's room. We don't baby them. He turns the light on when he gets ready for bed, there is a small fish tank in there with a light, etc.. They are strong and healthy. It may be better to do the pitch black thing but don't stress too much.

My little guy doesnt seem bothered by light. I dont have an auto timer yet (got one but didnt work so I took it back will get another) and a few nights Ive been late getting home. Argo doesnt like to be late for bedtime if Im late so he will sleep under a leaf. Ive come home and hes in his pjs sleeping away with the lights on anway.

We have his cage set up in the living room and somtimes we watch tv and nights that my hubby gets off late Ill leave a light on for him. Argo still just sleeps as normal.

I think this is because the store that i work at/got him from always has random lights on at night for safty reasons and he got used to sleeping without full darkness.

I know its not ideal, but Argo seems adjusted to it and is healthy.

Okay I was hoping that this wouldn't be a big issue. Considering it's rare in most towns, unless ya live in a woodsy area for it to be completely dark outside your windows... thanks for the tips

I’m just as paranoid as well, but in the wild the moon is bright too. When my daughter is home from college I put a dark sheet over the cage and she takes it off when she goes to bed. It doesn’t cover up all of the cage just where the light shows

Back
Top Bottom