Chameleon moving around but not basking

Anisa.corp

Established Member
So my cham moves around the bottom half of his enclosure everyday but he rarely goes up to the top to basking the uvb and heat is that bad?

Attachments

• 16123865802833689552745810085191.jpg
    16123865802833689552745810085191.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 73
There are not enough plants to provide coverage... Also what is he seeing outside. Beman does not handle being right next to windows. He freaks if he sees cars moving much less birds.

And it is not ideal for them to avoid the top. This poses an issue specifically for lack of uvb exposure.

There are not enough plants to provide coverage... Also what is he seeing outside. Beman does not handle being right next to windows. He freaks if he sees cars moving much less birds.

And it is not ideal for them to avoid the top. This poses an issue specifically for lack of uvb exposure.
That was my concern that he isn't getting enough uvb but can't chameleon detect uvb? Out the window he can see cars and the tops of all the trees should I close the window?

That was my concern that he isn't getting enough uvb but can't chameleon detect uvb? Out the window he can see cars and the tops of all the trees should I close the window?
Did you recently move him there? I don't like having the boys right in front of windows... Mostly because of temp changes. If it is cold outside then the window is going to be much cooler and mess up the ambient levels. Then if it gets direct sun you have the opposite issue because it will bake that area in heat.

Yes, he can find the UVB. But if something is triggering him to stay low like being too cold. Or he just is freaked by something he is seeing then he is not going to come up.

Did you recently move him there? I don't like having the boys right in front of windows... Mostly because of temp changes. If it is cold outside then the window is going to be much cooler and mess up the ambient levels. Then if it gets direct sun you have the opposite issue because it will bake that area in heat.

Yes, he can find the UVB. But if something is triggering him to stay low like being too cold. Or he just is freaked by something he is seeing then he is not going to come up.
Sorry it took me so long to respond no I didn't recently move him there but it is winter time now so that is possible that the window is cold could it possibly be him seeing bird out the window and being scared? He really loves to look out of the window which is the reason I've kept it open forever

Sorry it took me so long to respond no I didn't recently move him there but it is winter time now so that is possible that the window is cold could it possibly be him seeing bird out the window and being scared? He really loves to look out of the window which is the reason I've kept it open forever
Ok so now think what has changed outside the window... Is there snow outside? This will reflect light much differently.

Then yes the temps are going to be different. If your getting winter weather then the window is going to constantly be radiating cold.. This will chill an area. So if he is actually colder then your realizing this can mess with them as well.

Try closing the window see how he responds.

Ok so now think what has changed outside the window... Is there snow outside? This will reflect light much differently.

Then yes the temps are going to be different. If your getting winter weather then the window is going to constantly be radiating cold.. This will chill an area. So if he is actually colder then your realizing this can mess with them as well.

Try closing the window see how he responds.
Ok I will try that today one thing though is that he follows the light outside for his bedtime so when it gets dark outside he goes to bed will this mess up his sleep schedule?

They are on a schedule but he doesn't follow the schedule of the lights he follows when it gets dark outside which is annoying with day light savings and all
Mine are not right in front of a window and even when the blinds are closed they know... In winter they start moving into sleeping position between 4 and5 pm... Even though their lights do not turn off until 7. In the summer when days are longer they do not move into sleeping position until much later in the evening.

As long as the lighting is on a 12/12 schedule he will be fine.

Mine are not right in front of a window and even when the blinds are closed they know... In winter they start moving into sleeping position between 4 and5 pm... Even though their lights do not turn off until 7. In the summer when days are longer they do not move into sleeping position until much later in the evening.

As long as the lighting is on a 12/12 schedule he will be fine.
Oh ok I didn't realize he would slow down in the summer but its good to know that other chameleons do this also thank you

Back
Top Bottom