Chameleon Misting Problems

Jc555

Hi ive had my veiled cham for about 3-4 months now who is doing excellent and i have a reptirain misting system (I know, its not recommended) and all is good i just have a universal question for all misters and one specifically for this mister. My question for this specific mister for anyone on these forums that may have it as well, my reptirain has started to leak rapidly for the first time any solutions? im thinking i might just put some heavy duty duck tape over it. And my universal question is for misters how is it possible for any mister to be positioned at an angle as to where no water escapes a veiled chameleons enclosure during daily mistings? (Through the sides) its very difficult and tideous the position my misters to not spray outside the enclosure let me know thanks.

From my research, and I know this sucks to hear, this is what it sounds like happens to the reptirain systems around 3-5 months after using them. This seems like why most people recommend the Mistking systems. I think if I were in your shoes and you were worried about getting water everywhere I'd turn off the reptirain system and hand-mist until you figure out a more permanent solution. I'm a beginner, but this is just my advice after all of my research and reading.

I set up a Mistking, but for peace of mind I also put up plastic shower curtains on my walls all around and under my chameleon enclosure and corner of my bedroom where the entire setup is. I have new floors and live in a condo, so water leakage is a huge concern for me! I definitely have a drainage system, but I still seem to get water everywhere and personally haven't figured out how some of these people claim to not have issues getting water everywhere! Either they're just really good at this, lucky with water, or both, haha! I hope all of this helps in some way.

The two easiest ways to deal with the overspray is to either line the sides with plastic or heavily line the sides with plants.

I have seen a lot of people who line the sides of the enclosure with plastic, but my worry with that approach was not getting enough air flow. Since I'm in Richmond, VA, I don't have any humidity issues, and was more concerned with proper air flow to avoid URI...do you think this sounds about right, or do you have any other advice for me getting started out?

As always, thanks! :)

I have seen a lot of people who line the sides of the enclosure with plastic, but my worry with that approach was not getting enough air flow. Since I'm in Richmond, VA, I don't have any humidity issues, and was more concerned with proper air flow to avoid URI...do you think this sounds about right, or do you have any other advice for me getting started out?

As always, thanks! :)
As long as the top and front are open screen you will have plenty of airflow. I actually use a shower curtain with a jungle waterfall scene printed on it, just looked better than sheets of plastic. And if your still worried about air flow just buy a CPU cooling fan from amazon and set it on top of your screen. I usually set mine up so it is sucking air out of the viv and into the room, like a chimney on a house.
AD4F0067-22A8-4C85-9392-FEAD2E1608E0.jpeg
E5C9B64B-5F2B-46B3-9158-6556FE109CE3.jpeg

As long as the top and front are open screen you will have plenty of airflow. I actually use a shower curtain with a jungle waterfall scene printed on it, just looked better than sheets of plastic. And if your still worried about air flow just buy a CPU cooling fan from amazon and set it on top of your screen. I usually set mine up so it is sucking air out of the viv and into the room, like a chimney on a house.View attachment 210732View attachment 210734

Thank you all for your responses just to make it clear the reptirain still is completely functional but runs out of water super fast due to leakage. So i will be upgrading to a mistking. Secondly so basically what the majority here is saying is that covering the sides (Not the front and top) with plants/ shower curtain to avoid water from hetting out and going to whatever leakage system you have... sounds great i understand thanks.

As long as the top and front are open screen you will have plenty of airflow. I actually use a shower curtain with a jungle waterfall scene printed on it, just looked better than sheets of plastic. And if your still worried about air flow just buy a CPU cooling fan from amazon and set it on top of your screen. I usually set mine up so it is sucking air out of the viv and into the room, like a chimney on a house.View attachment 210732View attachment 210734

Makes sense! All good ideas for when I upgrade to a bigger enclosure and get better at all of this.

Back
Top Bottom