Chameleon Looks Pale/Lethargic

Ok besides the supplements given being wrong.... You said you are using a Reptisun? Which type the screw in bulb or a T8 or a T5?

The crickets didn't arrive, I was told they will ship them today or tomorrow, which is another couple days to arrive.
I gave a few more worms, he ate them and I saw him drink water - which is good. I didn't see him sleep during the day anymore, but he closes his eyes (mostly, one not both), from time to time, for a few seconds, which also seems better vs sleeping during the day.

I called different vet clinics, and each does the fecal test, but.... not for reptiles. There are two clinics that do that for a few hundred bucks, but one said to get the results may take over a week considering the current situation, the other said I'd have to call on Monday to get more info.

I checked the video on the forum on how to do fecal testing at home and I'm thinking of buying a kit) with expedited delivery it should be here in a few days, however, if it proves to be parasites - I am still unsure how to treat, get medicine, or administer it. Some of the medicine discussed on the forum is available to order online, but it will also take time to get it delivered. The poop is not smelly, however, other symptoms remind of those described for coccidia - I might be wrong.

I am not sure what to do in terms of timing: Getting a fecal test result could take over a week with the vet, doing test yourself would be faster, but unsure how to treat if it proves to be parasites.

The crickets didn't arrive, I was told they will ship them today or tomorrow, which is another couple days to arrive.
I gave a few more worms, he ate them and I saw him drink water - which is good. I didn't see him sleep during the day anymore, but he closes his eyes (mostly, one not both), from time to time, for a few seconds, which also seems better vs sleeping during the day.

I called different vet clinics, and each does the fecal test, but.... not for reptiles. There are two clinics that do that for a few hundred bucks, but one said to get the results may take over a week considering the current situation, the other said I'd have to call on Monday to get more info.

I checked the video on the forum on how to do fecal testing at home and I'm thinking of buying a kit) with expedited delivery it should be here in a few days, however, if it proves to be parasites - I am still unsure how to treat, get medicine, or administer it. Some of the medicine discussed on the forum is available to order online, but it will also take time to get it delivered. The poop is not smelly, however, other symptoms remind of those described for coccidia - I might be wrong.

I am not sure what to do in terms of timing: Getting a fecal test result could take over a week with the vet, doing test yourself would be faster, but unsure how to treat if it proves to be parasites.
So the problem with at home testing is you have to have a vet that will give you the medication in the correct dosage and you have to be able to identify the parasite. I would just take a sample in... A few hundred dollars is excessive. Double check with them. Normal rate at most is $65 for a reptile fecal. Unless they are charging you for a vet visit as well. If that is the case ask them if you can just bring in the fecal first then the cham when the results are back in. It taking a week is not bad. Mine sends them out to a lab and it can take up to 5 days for results.

If it is coccidia this is a very hard parasite to deal with. There are multiple threads on it. This is one of the worst ones. Others like pinworms can be very easy to treat and get rid of in the cage.

Do you not have a petstore that you can get crickets from? These are considered essential businesses and are open.

I would still have them do a basic fecal float test even if they say they don't do them for reptiles. I don't think the procedure is any different than it would be for a dog/cat, but identifying the species of parasite might be. Many parasites are so common the species of the host may not matter. If there are any. There are probably vets on the forum recommended list that could consult with the vet you go to in order to identify what is found and suggest correct treatment.

So the problem with at home testing is you have to have a vet that will give you the medication in the correct dosage and you have to be able to identify the parasite. I would just take a sample in... A few hundred dollars is excessive. Double check with them. Normal rate at most is $65 for a reptile fecal. Unless they are charging you for a vet visit as well. If that is the case ask them if you can just bring in the fecal first then the cham when the results are back in. It taking a week is not bad. Mine sends them out to a lab and it can take up to 5 days for results.

If it is coccidia this is a very hard parasite to deal with. There are multiple threads on it. This is one of the worst ones. Others like pinworms can be very easy to treat and get rid of in the cage.

Do you not have a petstore that you can get crickets from? These are considered essential businesses and are open.

I went to local Petco stores - they out of crickets and told me to order online, the other pet stores I have around either closed or out of crickets as well, so I got giant mealworms meanwhile. I do not think that the issue is food-related as he should be fine without food for a week, but was without it roughly 4-5 days. I do not want to feed mealworms every day, but I also want to keep him eating while new ones arrive.

Vet clicks do want to charge for the visit + test, which will be sent to a lab and will return in a few days. Most clinics told me that while they can physically perform the test - they will not do it for reptile. I'd gladly pay $65 and get the result today, but it doesn't seem the case, even with the paid visit.

Gladly he looks a little better and brighter today and even tried to bit my finger off when I was manually misting his cage - which he usually does, so I was glad to see that behavior.

I read a lot on coccidia now, as well as medicine and treatments for it.

I would still have them do a basic fecal float test even if they say they don't do them for reptiles. I don't think the procedure is any different than it would be for a dog/cat, but identifying the species of parasite might be. Many parasites are so common the species of the host may not matter. If there are any. There are probably vets on the forum recommended list that could consult with the vet you go to in order to identify what is found and suggest correct treatment.

It is not, it's probably exactly the same, however, when I ask that - they refused. The answer that I literally got from the few that I called: 'while we can physically perform the test - we will not do it for reptile'.

I found on chewy & amazon fecal test that you order home and then send it to the lab and they email you results back.
I was about to get it (order via prime and pay for the next day signature delivery to the lab) but I read some bad reviews that it's taking too long to get reply from them as well as that some of the results came back negative, while in reality, they were positive.

Picture from today attached below.

Attachments

• IMG_6966.JPG
    IMG_6966.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 73
I have battled coccidia and lost... I hope for your sake it is not. Most vets that actually have chameleon experience will understand you not wanting to bring in the cham until the results are back especially when they are already declining.

I went to local Petco stores - they out of crickets and told me to order online, the other pet stores I have around either closed or out of crickets as well, so I got giant mealworms meanwhile. I do not think that the issue is food-related as he should be fine without food for a week, but was without it roughly 4-5 days. I do not want to feed mealworms every day, but I also want to keep him eating while new ones arrive.

Vet clicks do want to charge for the visit + test, which will be sent to a lab and will return in a few days. Most clinics told me that while they can physically perform the test - they will not do it for reptile. I'd gladly pay $65 and get the result today, but it doesn't seem the case, even with the paid visit.

Gladly he looks a little better and brighter today and even tried to bit my finger off when I was manually misting his cage - which he usually does, so I was glad to see that behavior.

I read a lot on coccidia now, as well as medicine and treatments for it.

It is not, it's probably exactly the same, however, when I ask that - they refused. The answer that I literally got from the few that I called: 'while we can physically perform the test - we will not do it for reptile'.

I found on chewy & amazon fecal test that you order home and then send it to the lab and they email you results back.
I was about to get it (order via prime and pay for the next day signature delivery to the lab) but I read some bad reviews that it's taking too long to get reply from them as well as that some of the results came back negative, while in reality, they were positive.

Picture from today attached below.
If it helps I order my crickets from Rainbow Mealworms site. They offer a subscription plan and so far haven't had an issue with them being out of stock or anything.

I have battled coccidia and lost... I hope for your sake it is not. Most vets that actually have chameleon experience will understand you not wanting to bring in the cham until the results are back especially when they are already declining.
Just got fecal test results back today mine has Coccidia high count what does this mean? How to treat? Is it fatal? How did he get it?

Back
Top Bottom